• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another Ebay seller surprise... *shakes head in dismay*

82 posts in this topic

I'm confused

Comics General = the new eBay Journal Forum (thumbs u

Pretty much. I saw similar threads here and thought, why not? hm

Is the misprint worth more? Is this thread a joke?

Yeah, it's tougher to find.

Not a joke... what would give you that idea?

Because it reads like you're trying to pull a fast one and feel cheated when it didn't work.

So I guess if you inform a seller that what they have is (I'm assuming) worth more, then they have to sell it to you? I don't see how if you didn't buy it or place a bid on it, that the seller is somehow in the wrong for deciding to keep an, as of yet, unsold item.

There's a little saying on Slickdeals that comes to mind, "Never call the store". You sir, "called the store".

It amazes me how so many people here miss the point so easily and instead grab a pitchfork at the first opportunity.

I was not trying to "pull a fast one" or felt that I was entitled to the purchase.

I asked if the back cover is red or green. I didn't say anything else. Red = I do not buy it. Green = I'll go ahead and buy it.

Now, the problem that I have is when the seller messages me six weeks later and says "It's the misprint! I'm keeping it! Thanks!" Why the hell did they need to message me to let me know that? To rub it in? To gloat? Nobody wants to hear something like that. THAT'S the point.

They THANKED you for giving them the heads up. Not gloating. No point missed.

Really? So you're saying that you would be fine with this example:

You go into a comic shop where the owner is also a collector. You ask to see the back cover of a comic on the wall. The owner watches you. You see that it's the misprint, and want to buy it. Before you do, you go to pick up a few issues in the back. During this time, the owner looks up the issue online and sees what the misprint is. When you come back, he tells you that he's keeping it for his collection, but he thanks you.

I think not.

I'm confused

Because it reads like you're trying to pull a fast one and feel cheated when it didn't work.

So I guess if you inform a seller that what they have is (I'm assuming) worth more, then they have to sell it to you? I don't see how if you didn't buy it or place a bid on it, that the seller is somehow in the wrong for deciding to keep an, as of yet, unsold item.

There's a little saying on Slickdeals that comes to mind, "Never call the store". You sir, "called the store".

It amazes me how so many people here miss the point so easily and instead grab a pitchfork at the first opportunity.

I was not trying to "pull a fast one" or felt that I was entitled to the purchase.

I asked if the back cover is red or green. I didn't say anything else. Red = I do not buy it. Green = I'll go ahead and buy it.

Now, the problem that I have is when the seller messages me six weeks later and says "It's the misprint! I'm keeping it! Thanks!" Why the hell did they need to message me to let me know that? To rub it in? To gloat? Nobody wants to hear something like that. THAT'S the point.

You go into a comic shop where the owner is also a collector. You ask to see the back cover of a comic on the wall. The owner watches you. You see that it's the misprint, and want to buy it. Before you do, you go to pick up a few issues in the back. During this time, the owner looks up the issue online and sees what the misprint is. When you come back, he tells you that he's keeping it for his collection, but he thanks you.

I think not.

Not a great example and missing relevant details. You did not buy it. You did not have it in hand to buy it. You did not make an offer. You asked for details.

I'm confused

I think not.

Not a great example and missing relevant details. You did not buy it. You did not have it in hand to buy it. You did not make an offer. You asked for details.

It's relevant in all the ways that matter.

The book wasn't bought in either scenario.

It's EBAY. You can't have it in hand.

There was no offer option.

And if you really want to nitpick the small details, then we can say that the owner took the book out and checked the back cover, so you never had it in hand. Jeez.

Would everyone critical of OP if they saw a $400 35c variant listed for $20 buy it or tell the seller 'hey that's a 35c variant-it's worth $400'?

A quote comes to mind as I write this : "No good deed goes unpunished.""[/i]

Where is this "good deed" you're speaking of? You did nothing to help the seller. You were trying to find out if the book was a rarer version that you wanted. Incidentally you alerted the seller to this fact and he chose to keep the book.

You were not wronged. You were not defrauded. You did not lose out on anything accept the opportunity to buy something that the seller did not know he had.

(shrug)

Would everyone critical of OP if they saw a $400 35c variant listed for $20 buy it or tell the seller 'hey that's a 35c variant-it's worth $400'?

That's a good point.

And actually, the book wasn't cheap. It was listed at $100.

i'd say the seller was being polite by thanking you

were you screwed, yes......but it just so happened that you got a seller who was paying attention to the reason you were asking

lol imo you are coming off as a sore loser in the exchange

let me ask you a question, bc you pointed out to the seller that he might (did) have an error book that they were oblagated to sell it to you......considering all you did was ask for info

A quote comes to mind as I write this : "No good deed goes unpunished.""[/i]

Where is this "good deed" you're speaking of? You did nothing to help the seller. You were trying to find out if the book was a rarer version that you wanted. Incidentally you alerted the seller to this fact and he chose to keep the book.

You were not wronged. You were not defrauded. You did not lose out on anything accept the opportunity to buy something that the seller did not know he had.

(shrug)

I dislike repeating myself, so kindly read my posts again for your answers.

We're not critical of him trying to get a good deal on a rare book. We're critical of the idea that he was somehow owed the bargain. We're critical of him acting like the seller did something wrong.

i'd say the seller was being polite by thanking you

were you screwed, yes......but it just so happened that you got a seller who was paying attention to the reason you were asking

lol imo you are coming off as a sore loser in the exchange

let me ask you a question, bc you pointed out to the seller that he might (did) have an error book that they were oblagated to sell it to you......considering all you did was ask for info

Again, please read my posts. It's not that I was "screwed" or that I felt entitled to the book.

And where is the question?

Anyone who starts an Ebay thread in CG right now expecting sympathy is most likely not going to receive it.

Never have truer words been spoken..... (thumbs u

If someone would post an ebay thread where they were ACTUALLY wronged; they would get sympathy. That didn't happen in this thread or in yours.

We're not critical of him trying to get a good deal on a rare book. We're critical of the idea that he was somehow owed the bargain. We're critical of him acting like the seller did something wrong.

:facepalm:

I think not.

It's relevant in all the ways that matter.

The book wasn't bought in either scenario.

It's EBAY. You can't have it in hand.

There was no offer option.

And if you really want to nitpick the small details, then we can say that the owner took the book out and checked the back cover, so you never had it in hand. Jeez.

Hopefully you've learned your lesson and next time just ask for a scan of the back cover.

Yeah and say you want to see what condition the b/c is in-don't alert them

Anyone who says thank you knowing they just found out something the other guy wanted is valuable is gloating IMO