• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Miller On Captain America? Would It Work?

49 posts in this topic

I also think not that its any excuse but he was in NYC on 9/11 I'm sure it changed a lot of people to both sides of the spectrum

I would agree - and he's perfectly entitled to express those feelings in his creative work, but I think crossing those viewpoints over to a comic book icon like Captain America would be a very poor choice for Marvel.

Captain America is all about America, but he stands for a lot of other things that we all strive to be, and borderline rascism and intolerance is not the qualities that Cap believes in.

Granted, everyone has their own viewpoints on the topic, but Captain America is supposed to be above that. He's supposed to be more than what the average Joe is and exemplify the best of what we can be. I will never be convinced that Frank Miller could do anything but make Steve Rogers a violent stereotype spouting off "edgy" dialogue that would not elevate or enlighten the character whatsoever.

If Marvel is to give Cap a new direction, I can think of a thousand better alternatives than what FM could concoct. I'd rather see M. Night Shaymalan direct the next three Cap movies than read one issue of what Frank Miller's idea is for Captain America.

Yeah, I'd certainly like Miller to have a crack at it, especially as ..

they're preparing to put Steve out of the costume (again) in the latest story arc

Frank Miller, Dave Sim, John Byrne, Alan Moore...what happened to the greatest creators of the 80's that turned them into nuts, cranks, or hacks? At least Los Bros are still cool.

It might be what happened to us the fans which is

we grew up. :o

When Frank Miller, Dave Sim, John Byrne, and Alan Moore did all that great stuff their audience was 25 and under, now their audience would be 40 years old and up. Stuff that they did back then to impress a young crowd wouldn`t work with a more jaded, cynical old crowd.

A perfect example is Neal Adams.

He was worshiped in the 1970s, and now lambasted for doing this.

batmanodyssey05.gif

What happens is the artist didn`t grow as much as their audience did.

Frank Miller, Dave Sim, John Byrne, Alan Moore...what happened to the greatest creators of the 80's that turned them into nuts, cranks, or hacks? At least Los Bros are still cool.

It might be what happened to us the fans which is

we grew up. :o

When Frank Miller, Dave Sim, John Byrne, and Alan Moore did all that great stuff their audience was 25 and under, now their audience would be 40 years old and up. Stuff that they did back then to impress a young crowd wouldn`t work with a more jaded, cynical old crowd.

A perfect example is Neal Adams.

He was worshiped in the 1970s, and now lambasted for doing this.

batmanodyssey05.gif

What happens is the artist didn`t grow as much as their audience did.

yeah, but Neal Adams in the 70's would have never drawn anything that horrible. that has nothing to do with his audience growing up, or him growing up. that's just bad artwork from one of the best artists in comics ever.

Frank Miller was magical when he first hit the industry. He's lost his way though and his recent stuff has been garbage.

Yea that Sin City stuff he did was terrible :roflmao:

I wouldn't call his Sin City work 'recent'. The first storyline is over 20 years old and the last one was what...15 years ago?

And really, I always thought the strength of Sin City was it's style.

The stories were an ok homage to the crime noir genre, but nothing earth shattering.

Frank Miller was magical when he first hit the industry. He's lost his way though and his recent stuff has been garbage.

Yea that Sin City stuff he did was terrible :roflmao:

I wouldn't call his Sin City work 'recent'. The first storyline is over 20 years old and the last one was what...15 years ago?

And really, I always thought the strength of Sin City was it's style.

The stories were an ok homage to the crime noir genre, but nothing earth shattering.

Absolutely - some of the dialogue is cringe-worthy.

I love the old Frank Miller, but after his fiasco at DC, I don't want him near any of my favorite Marvel characters again. I say give him Speedball and see if he can make it work.

FM should work with independent publishers like Image or Dark Horse and create new books. It's best or him these days. The younger FM was pretty awesome doing Daredevil & Batman, but it's probably best for him to stay away from established characters. Just my 2c