• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Miller On Captain America? Would It Work?

49 posts in this topic

I love the old Frank Miller, but after his fiasco at DC, I don't want him near any of my favorite Marvel characters again. I say give him Speedball and see if he can make it work.

Not if it was anything like that holy terror book.

+ infinity.

That was the worst piece of refuse I ever had the unfortunate opportunity to which to be subjected. Not just the worst Frank Miller work ever, some of the worst comic work by anyone, ever. It failed in every possible area.

I don't know if it was the incongruence of Jim Lee's art trying to work within Frank Miller's crackpot dialogue or what - but that Batman stuff he did was beyond a train wreck, and FM shouldn't be allowed to touch anything remotely popular or significant.

As much as people lambaste how badly it was written - to me, it just simply doesn't fit Jim Lee's art style, and that made it even worse than it already was. Giving FM Captain America would not be "visonary" it would be nothing more than his one-sided propaganda ravings, and I would absolutely hate to see Captain America at the hands of that guy.

Captain America with 1980's Frank Miller? Hell, yes. Captain America with 2010's Frank Miller? Hellz, naw.

Frank Miller, Dave Sim, John Byrne, Alan Moore...what happened to the greatest creators of the 80's that turned them into nuts, cranks, or hacks? At least Los Bros are still cool.

Frank Miller, Dave Sim, John Byrne, Alan Moore...what happened to the greatest creators of the 80's that turned them into nuts, cranks, or hacks? At least Los Bros are still cool.

They were probably all those things you think they are now. You just don't like their work as much 2c

I don't know if it was the incongruence of Jim Lee's art trying to work within Frank Miller's crackpot dialogue or what - but that Batman stuff he did was beyond a train wreck, and FM shouldn't be allowed to touch anything remotely popular or significant.

As much as people lambaste how badly it was written - to me, it just simply doesn't fit Jim Lee's art style, and that made it even worse than it already was. Giving FM Captain America would not be "visonary" it would be nothing more than his one-sided propaganda ravings, and I would absolutely hate to see Captain America at the hands of that guy.

Captain America with 1980's Frank Miller? Hell, yes. Captain America with 2010's Frank Miller? Hellz, naw.

+1,000. I re-read All Star recently as I think it may just be the best looking book ever done, but God the writing is awful. As you say, the dialogue in particular is just jarring as Hell. I still love his 80's stuff though.

They were probably all those things you think they are now. You just don't like their work as much 2c

(thumbs u

(thumbs u

To an extent, but their work is only a small part of the problem. Miller may have always been a borderline fascist conservative, but he's definitely flying the flag much more prominently than he did 20 years ago. Sim had a dramatic personality shift when he became "born again". And Moore was probably always grumpy, but now he's, like, super, super grumpy.

I will fully agree that Byrne was probably always a , though!

(Of the lot of them, I'd say Sim's actual artwork has suffered the least. His views are often disturbing, but he can still draw like a .)

Grumpier or crazier with old age? :preach:

Happens to many of us. :D

This is true, and I am definitely being a hypocrite, as I can absolutely confirm that I'm only getting crazier and grumpier!