• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Miller On Captain America? Would It Work?

49 posts in this topic

Frank Miller was magical when he first hit the industry. He's lost his way though and his recent stuff has been garbage.

Yea that Sin City stuff he did was terrible :roflmao:

I wouldn't call his Sin City work 'recent'. The first storyline is over 20 years old and the last one was what...15 years ago?

And really, I always thought the strength of Sin City was it's style.

The stories were an ok homage to the crime noir genre, but nothing earth shattering.

Absolutely - some of the dialogue is cringe-worthy.

The style was great. The problem with Sin City is that after you read one or two volumes, you knew exactly what was going to happen in the next one. It's kind of a function of the CN genre which is pretty formulaic, but he still could've tried to change it up a bit. It's a good book, but not his best stuff. Again, it grew a little too repetitive.

+1

I got bored with Miller's one-trick, repetitive, intense, noir voiceover / monologue style a long time ago.

I have the complete Ed Brubaker run. That'll do for me.

Miller has already given us his interpretation of Cap in Born Again. I expect Cap wouldn't ever smile, and he'd break a lot of people's jaws. He'd be Batman, essentially, and he'd start fighting ninjas for some reason...

No thanks.

Miller has already given us his interpretation of Cap in Born Again. I expect Cap wouldn't ever smile, and he'd break a lot of people's jaws. He'd be Batman, essentially, and he'd start fighting ninjas for some reason...

No thanks.

I thought Cap in Born Again was pretty damn cool.

Frank Miller was magical when he first hit the industry. He's lost his way though and his recent stuff has been garbage.

Yea that Sin City stuff he did was terrible :roflmao:

I wouldn't call his Sin City work 'recent'. The first storyline is over 20 years old and the last one was what...15 years ago?

And really, I always thought the strength of Sin City was it's style.

The stories were an ok homage to the crime noir genre, but nothing earth shattering.

Absolutely - some of the dialogue is cringe-worthy.

The style was great. The problem with Sin City is that after you read one or two volumes, you knew exactly what was going to happen in the next one. It's kind of a function of the CN genre which is pretty formulaic, but he still could've tried to change it up a bit. It's a good book, but not his best stuff. Again, it grew a little too repetitive.

Exactly how I feel. Initially I really enjoyed the series, but ended up not buying the last story arc. Despite some of his best visual work, the writing became stultifying.

After that the only thing I bought by him was DK2 - which was so godawful that I lost interest in whatever else Miller has done since.

Boy, if you thought Sin City was predictable how can you ever read a superhero comic again?

"They're gonna punch for 22 pages but nobody is going to get hurt. But if somebody does get hurt they'll be okay within a couple months"

Boy, if you thought Sin City was predictable how can you ever read a superhero comic again?

"They're gonna punch for 22 pages but nobody is going to get hurt. But if somebody does get hurt they'll be okay within a couple months"

I don't read that many, for precisely that reason. Unless you count BPRD/Hellboy as superhero books, the last superhero series I read was Brubaker's Cap run, and I bailed before he did, as it went downhill after a while.