• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC vs Mylites2/microchamber/fullbacks

33 posts in this topic

.... the whole "MCP becomes inactive after 7 years"-thing is a complete myth - every study I've seen shows that it'll take decades for the MCP to loose its effectiveness :shrug:

The studies are based on adding a known quantity of pollutant gas to a chamber with a known quantity of MCP and determining how much pollutant is neutralized by the MCP. This extrapolates easily to modern books on quality paper when stored properly. In this case, the MCP is going to be doing its thing long after we are gone.

The place where it does not extrapolate well is in books printed on newsprint that are already exhibiting some degree of acid related damage. If you have a book that has significant acid related browning, the degree of pollutants being generated within the book itself (mostly acids and it's precursors in this case), could quite possibly saturate the MCP within the 7-8 year time frame. I just don't think we really know as I haven't seen specific studies that address this common application in our collectibles niche.

However, with the average white or off white paged newsprint comic stored between 72-78 degrees F, I agree, the MCP should last decades and prevent deterioration from within the book itself as well as from pollutants external.

I'm a tad OCD.So not only do I use Mylite2 and full backs,I do one step further and put them in a magazine size top loader for my expensive books.

Do the top loaders still fit in the magazine files?

Magazine files? (shrug)

I'm a tad OCD.So not only do I use Mylite2 and full backs,I do one step further and put them in a magazine size top loader for my expensive books.

Magazine files? (shrug)

Sorry for the crappy picture - they are called magazine files here

9369ddd53878790b9acb0bfa6d9f635b.jpg

Magazine files? (shrug)

Sorry for the crappy picture - they are called magazine files here

9369ddd53878790b9acb0bfa6d9f635b.jpg

Oh yeah they fit just fine.I have all my books in magazine holders. (thumbs u

Thanks for all the responses, it's given me some things to think about it.

@Waylander and oakman29 - How do the magazine holders work for you? It seems like that would take up a lot of space.

Follow up question for anyone. Since it seems the comics are better protected if we put them in mylar/board with MCP ourselves would you ever buy a CGC slabbed book just for the grade and then crack it open and then put it in mylar/board with MCP yourself? Or would that be considered a bit loony? lol.

4 mm Mylar archives, cut the corners off the flap and fold inside behind full backs. Micro chamber paper behind cover and between the board and back cover.

I would recommend placing the second piece of MCP between the rear cover and the newsprint if you are using true Fullbacks. You would be better off scavenging byproducts of deterioration from the newsprint with that piece of MCP. There will be virtually no deterioration of a Halfback or Fullback. They provide not only structural support, but chemical as well, since they are alkaline.

@Waylander and oakman29 - How do the magazine holders work for you? It seems like that would take up a lot of space.

Follow up question for anyone. Since it seems the comics are better protected if we put them in mylar/board with MCP ourselves would you ever buy a CGC slabbed book just for the grade and then crack it open and then put it in mylar/board with MCP yourself? Or would that be considered a bit loony? lol.

I love em.I have my whole collection categorised,and very easy to find any book in seconds.Also the added benefit of not stressing the spines,as you would in a long/short box.I learned of this through a board member here,and am very happy with the results.

IMG00386-20110402-2034.jpg

Here's a video of the board members set up.

I only have my few slabs in the magazine holders - all my raws are in comic drawer boxes. As with Oakman - no lifting.

Can't recommend the Mylite 2's and Fullbacks enough for the way they present the book. Technically, you should enclose the book as another mentioned in a Mylite without any other materials inside then maybe in a Mylar or such with a board. Significant money was spent by some serious collectors to figure this out and that's their preferred method. Having different materials in contact with one another is the issue. That being said, I still have my books in Mylite 2's with Fullbacks. May change one of these days.

CGC cases are best used as transport for books and assurance of your purchase. The plastic composite inner well begins breaking down after 7 years according to the manufacturer, so not the ideal long terms storage method.

Woot! I have never heard this claim before - what's your source?

I'm fairly certain you're confusing this with CGC's claim that you should reholder your books after 7-8 years because the micro chamber paper will have lost its effectiveness. Which, I might add, there's no evidence for either.

... Technically, you should enclose the book as another mentioned in a Mylite without any other materials inside then maybe in a Mylar or such with a board... Having different materials in contact with one another is the issue.

This is incorrect.

If you are using microchamber paper, you WANT it touching the book.

If you are using Fullbacks, Halfbacks or the equivalent Bill Cole Product, you WANT them touching the book.

You do NOT want standard boards (even those claimed to be acid free) inside a Mylar.

The holder material is Barex. The trade name Barex covers a group of barrier polymers composed of 75% Acrylonitrile and 25% Methyl acrylate. It has many wonderful traits that are perfect for this application, such as it's transparency, low permeability and several options for sealing. This is information available from the manufacturer.

All the specs I've read on Barex says that it's both stable & inert and won't degrade over time - which is why one of its common uses is long term pharmaceutical storage. I've seen nothing that claims it'll start breaking down after 7 years :shrug:

CGC cases are best used as transport for books and assurance of your purchase. The plastic composite inner well begins breaking down after 7 years according to the manufacturer, so not the ideal long terms storage method.

Can you show us where the manufacturer states this? The reason given for reholdering a CGC book every 7 years is because the microchamber paper supposedly starts to lose it's effectiveness after that time. CGC recommends reholdering every 7 years so they can change the microchamber paper inserted into each book. It has nothing to do with the barex inner well used in their holders.