• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC vs Mylites2/microchamber/fullbacks

33 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. First off, if what I'm about to ask has been discussed before and it turns out I didn't use the correct terms when searching then please let me know and link the topic that I would need. Or if I just posted in the wrong section then please let me know about that too.

I am starting to get back into seriously collecting comics again, for my own enjoyment, and for the past couple of weeks I've been researching about the best way to protect my comics.

The best method I've seen so far is to use mylars with a good acid-free board, like the E Gerber fullbacks, and microchamber paper. Initially I read to use 2 microchamber pages, 1 on the inside of each cover but some reading on this board and I found people that will use 5 with 1 behind each cover, 1 in the middle of the book and then 1 50% between the center and front cover and another 1 50% between the center and the back cover.

On the other hand, I've seen that a lot of people use CGC for grading/protecting their books. And I have to admit that being part of the CGC database and having your collections that you can show off like that is kind of cool. However, it's also my understanding that you should get your books repackaged every so often, with the most common timeframe stated being 7-8 years if I remember right. I've also read that they only put 1 microchamber page in. If that's not true now then please correct me.

My question is, which method is actually better for protecting the comics? It's my understanding that the mylar method can last for decades so it seems like that would actually be better, especially if you're using 2-5 microchamber pages per book. However, the CGC slabs appear to be sealed pretty well it looks like. I don't have any myself but have been doing a lot of admiring on ones I've seen posted here the past few days lol. If they are sealed pretty well then a CGC slab would seem to be better than mylar, at least for helping to eliminate/reduce the potential damage from outside pollutants. But a book in a CGC slab would be more vulnerable to any pollutants the book itself would produce than the mylar with 2-5 microchambers method.

I know this is a bit long but I wanted to explain the pros and cons I see about each method since that would better allow people to correct me if I'm wrong about any of it. Thank you in advance for any assistance/insight that's provided.

I don't like the fact CGC does small sheets of microchamber paper that don't cover the inside of the book. I prefer my MCP to encompass the whole sheet for maximum effectiveness. I get my MCPs from a boardie here (Grinin) and they are slightly thicker than CGC's stuff, too.

All of my non-slabbed books are in a Mylite 2 with two pieces of MCP and two backer boards. I am getting ready to convert my backer boards to E Gerbers and I believe at that point, I will be comfortable with my long-term book storage.

I don't like the fact CGC does small sheets of microchamber paper that don't cover the inside of the book. I prefer my MCP to encompass the whole sheet for maximum effectiveness. I get my MCPs from a boardie here (Grinin) and they are slightly thicker than CGC's stuff, too.

All of my non-slabbed books are in a Mylite 2 with two pieces of MCP and two backer boards. I am getting ready to convert my backer boards to E Gerbers and I believe at that point, I will be comfortable with my long-term book storage.

Jason - why 2 backer boards? Are you using half-backs rather than full-backs? I also go with Mylites 2 and Fullbacks with 2 MCP's. They give books a nice appearance.

Phil

Jason - why 2 backer boards? Are you using half-backs rather than full-backs? I also go with Mylites 2 and Fullbacks with 2 MCP's. They give books a nice appearance.

Phil

Yeah, halfbacks were cheaper for me to buy locally than to get fullbacks shipped. Unfortunately, they are BCS halfbacks, so I am upgrading to E Gerber fullbacks because of their acid-free properties.

I love the look of my books in Mylite2s - they present really nice.

Thank you very much for the info. I found Grinin's ad here and his ebay store and I plan on buying the MCP from him. I read too much about some places selling MCP that isn't really MCP so figured I'd go with him since it seems like a lot of people here trust his products.

On the other hand, I've seen that a lot of people use CGC for grading/protecting their books. And I have to admit that being part of the CGC database and having your collections that you can show off like that is kind of cool.

Don't fall for the fanboy stuff.

lol I won't. I was already leaning against CGC but figured I'd see if there's something I'm missing. The online database social aspect/collection comparison part of it is only somewhat interesting at the moment since it's new to me and I'm learning about it, never really paid much attention to anything CGC before.

However, it's also my understanding that you should get your books repackaged every so often, with the most common timeframe stated being 7-8 years if I remember right.

Don't fall for this either. That's marketing BS that CGC started in 2000. I bet there's no one at CGC who actually believes that either. It has to do with the lifespan of the microchamber paper.

I figured that was probably the case, both in regards to it being more due to the MCP and also just to drum up business.

However, the CGC slabs appear to be sealed pretty well it looks like. I don't have any myself but have been doing a lot of admiring on ones I've seen posted here the past few days lol. If they are sealed pretty well then a CGC slab would seem to be better than mylar, at least for helping to eliminate/reduce the potential damage from outside pollutants. But a book in a CGC slab would be more vulnerable to any pollutants the book itself would produce than the mylar with 2-5 microchambers method.

Neither the slab nor the inner well are air-tight, and neither are made of Mylar. Comics need to off-gas, so a completely sealed inner well would do more damage than one that's not completely sealed (per LOC experiments/conclusions).

And the books look soooo much nicer in Mylar.

lol I've heard that, I'm actually going to be ordering my first mylars next week and can't wait to see how my books will look in them.

I know this is a bit long but I wanted to explain the pros and cons I see about each method since that would better allow people to correct me if I'm wrong about any of it. Thank you in advance for any assistance/insight that's provided.

Here's the best way to search this site for more info:

https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Acollectors-society.com+slab+vs+mylar&hl=en&gbv=2&oq=site%3Acollectors-society.com+slab+vs+mylar&gs_l=heirloom-serp.12...58187.62797.0.64281.14.1.0.13.0.0.750.750.6-1.1.0....0...1ac.1.34.heirloom-serp..14.0.0.ZsqgyLGbrik

:facepalm: Oh that's right, I forgot about being able to search that way. Thanks for reminding me and for the link as well.

I have been told by many long time collector and dealers that the microchamber paper is not necessary.

To be blunt - they don't know what they're talking about.

The micro-chamber paper actively absorbs acids from the natural off-gassing that occurs as the paper ages - considering how cheap & effective MCP is, you'd be foolish not to use this as part of an archival storage solution for older books.

Thanks Jason. I am changing my screen name to InvestmentComicSupplies to match the business. grinin had always been my screen name on other forums when I signed up here, but it has come time to retire it.

The microchamber interleaving paper I use is cotton. Cotton is also used by CGC. I do have mine cut larger, so that it just fits inside the edges of the comic. I stock several different sizes to fit Golden through modern age books and have some odd sizes also.

There is a cheaper wood pulp microchamber paper that is used in other applications including bond paper used for copiers, folder paper and even corrugated boards. Apparently several sellers have passed the wood pulp bond paper off as the cotton interleaving. Since the watermark is the same, it is very difficult to tell the difference without having examples of each in hand.

As far as the OP's question, a comic is better protected with two sheets of microchamber paper as opposed to one. You could keep adding sheets, but there are diminishing returns as far as protection is concerned. Additionally, there comes a point where you could stress the staples.

Of course the CGC case provides additional structural support as well as aesthetic benefits that are different with Mylars and Fullbacks.

I have been told by many long time collector and dealers that the microchamber paper is not necessary.

The micro-chamber paper actively absorbs acids from the natural off-gassing that occurs as the paper ages - considering how cheap & effective MCP is, you'd be foolish not to use this as part of an archival storage solution for older books.

+1

MCP is very inexpensive and totally worth it - especially if you're going to the cost of Mylite 2 and fullback. I don't recall what price-per-piece is on MCP, but I think it's like 10¢ a sheet. Inexpensive insurance in my book.

Thanks Jason. I am changing my screen name to InvestmentComicSupplies to match the business. grinin had always been my screen name on other forums when I signed up here, but it has come time to retire it.

:applause:

And one other thing to mention - Grinin/ICS microchamber papers are cut to Silver Age, Bronze Age, etc - so they fit perfect to your era of books, which it's nice to not have excess paper hanging out over the edge of the book. Fit's perfect.

I've converted all my X-Men books and my older and/or more valuable books to Mylites2 and full-backs, soon to go to the rest. I should get the MCP.

Now, I did have one book slabbed, but I was afraid to breathe on it.

I don't use microchamber papers, as to be effective do you not have to place a sheet between each page? archive storing old books would not use a sheet between the covers only, they would have them thru the entire book.

When I stoped collecting comics in 1992 What I did with my old books is place them in a thin gerber mylite and placed the backing board on the outside and slipped the book into a myler snug.So nothing was touching the book or comicg into contact with it except the mylite. Some of these books had bone white pages and when I got back into collecting in 2005 these books still had the same PQ and were given white pages label when submitted to CGC.

I live in Brisbane Australia a sub-tropical environment so not the ideal locale to preserve fragile newspaper print collectibles.

+1

MCP is very inexpensive and totally worth it - especially if you're going to the cost of Mylite 2 and fullback. I don't recall what price-per-piece is on MCP, but I think it's like 10¢ a sheet. Inexpensive insurance in my book.

I think the question is this- Is MCP so important that it is worth reslabbing your CGC books every 8-10 years. For me, the answer is a resounding no.

+1

I think the question is this- Is MCP so important that it is worth reslabbing your CGC books every 8-10 years. For me, the answer is a resounding no.

But the whole "MCP becomes inactive after 7 years"-thing is a complete myth - every study I've seen shows that it'll take decades for the MCP to loose its effectiveness :shrug:

I'm a tad OCD.So not only do I use Mylite2 and full backs,I do one step further and put them in a magazine size top loader for my expensive books.

Do the top loaders still fit in the magazine files?