• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the best thing about collecting/loving comics?!

38 posts in this topic

to everyone

Imho the best thing about collecting/loving comics is mostly the possibility of sharing it with friends and my wife (who in general loves comics/art illustrated) and observing the creative evolution of the characters and written/visual styles. laugh.gif

what are your 2 cents?! wink.gif

regards

even after years of collecting, and years of aquiring back issues and the like, the best part is still opening a new book I have never seen, or a new book period and reading a great story and seeing some great art. That excitement is what keeps me coming back, because it's certainly one of my favorite things.

Finding or seeing a book I used to own, and reliving the memories of when I first bought & read it. Recreating and surpassing the collection I used to have before I stopped collecting many years ago.

Getting books that were "before my time" and see what went on before I started collecting. Being able to "connect" with the characters, get drawn into the stories, and spend a little time away from the real world. Meeting people who share my love for comics.

Their innate power to instantly transport the reader to another universe. So powerful and immediate with huge splashing panels of art and action! There is no other medium quite like it, for it allows your own imagination to be such a huge part of the experience, (you are imagining the movement of the characters, their voices, sound fx, etc...more so than a movie or cartoon which gives you everything already).

Good Comics are Magical cloud9.gifheadbang.gifcloud9.gif

This was actually my very first post here on these boards back in a thread entitled "What made you the collector you are today?" but it seems appropriate for this thread also.

I was always a monster fan! My first comic bought for me by my Grandmother was Tower of Shadows #7. I was only 5 years old but "Titano" the creature on the cover looked so menacing I was hooked. Too bad he turned out to be just an over grown fiddler crab, looked nothing like the cover art! Some of the other books that also "set" the hook in me back then were Creepys, Eeries & the cover to Vampirella # 10 (Fantastic stuff!). Man-Thing & Werewolf by Night were my two faves on the Marvel side and over at D.C. it was HOS, HOM, Witching Hour & Ghosts (Loved 'dem Ghosts!)

Also early on I noticed that there were certain artists whos work I could recognize from issue to issue that I liked more than the rest. Although I did not know their names at the time the first I can remember was Steve Ditko, his simplistic style really appealed to me back then and still does. Others early faves were Ploog, Wrightson, Wood, Frazetta & Adams.

Now came the test: how did a young boy keep his budding stack of comics away from his "reading while eating a bowl of cereal" and "always folding the comicbook in half" big sister? Well it wasn't easy and a lot of them went the way of the "FAIR" grounds conditionally speaking.

Comics to me are a neverending source of artistic entertainment and imagination!

Words and pictures Man, ya gotta love it!

For me it's the general excitement I get from reading a great story. It doesn't matter to me if it's a "classic" (Miracleman or O'Neil/Adams GL run) or a new read (Identity Crisis or Daredevil, for example).

Additionally, probably my favorite aspect of the hobby has been finding other fans (mostly thru this board) and developing friendships with my fellow collectors. These boards have greatly increased my enthusiasm for the hobby. It's great when you finally get to meet, face-to-face, others that have similar passion for the hobby.

Great bathroom reading.

893applaud-thumb.gif I agree 100% and it'seven better when those bathroom readers come back slabbed by CGC at 9.8s tongue.gif

For me, it is the awesome creative (ret-cons) storylines that can be found like Sins Past, Avengers Disassembled... 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif and the hotly drawn female form...

Finding or seeing a book I used to own, and reliving the memories of when I first bought & read it. Recreating and surpassing the collection I used to have before I stopped collecting many years ago.

Getting books that were "before my time" and see what went on before I started collecting. Being able to "connect" with the characters, get drawn into the stories, and spend a little time away from the real world. Meeting people who share my love for comics.

To save on typing...exact ditto to the above... thumbsup2.gif

....undisclosed restoration, questionable dealer practices, diminishing confidence in third party certification, fradulent auctions, poor graders....

oh, wait, you said what's the BEST thing about collecting comics...sorry.

Well, for me, its finding that ONE book you've been hunting for...whether its a thousand dollar "holy grail" or just $10 HTF back issue that no one else gives a damn about. That's the great fun of this hobby...the satisfaction of accomplishing a goal and then beginning anew with another.

The real thrill for me is being able to own at least some of the books I stared at in glass cases, on convention walls and in the OS Guide. It's very satisfying to own a SCIENCE #2 or a DAREDEVIL BATTLES HITLER when that was once an unattainable goal.

Now if I could only scrounge up the dough for a BATMAN #1 or ALL AMERICAN #16...

Sharing my favorite artists with non-comic-reading friends who might appreciate it

Discovering a new favorite artist/publisher

Finding a rare book that you have been looking for... no matter what the grade...

and of course...

Having an hour to burn at night before bed and relaxing with a new (actually 50 year old) comic...

The best thing about loving/collecting comics has been the friendships that I have established with those who share my enthusiasm for the hobby. The importance of the books themselves really pales in comparison.

EDIT - Darn typo!

The best thing about loving/collecting comics has been the friendships that I have established with those who share my enthusiam for the hobby. The importance of the books themselves really pales in comparison.

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif