• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ship to Canada Question

20 posts in this topic

I'm trying to figure the final cost to ship to Canada. I'm in the SoCal area. I've checked USPS and got $33-$36 for an envelope with 7 comics. Is this what it costs, or does anyone else know a cheaper way? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance,

It depends on how much it weights. That sounds like a Priority Mail International price but if it's under 4 pounds you can use First Class International and it'll cost less than that.

2 pounds max, any idea what it might cost? Thanks again

Hmm, the price might be different for you but when I shipped a package for my dad from Texas to Nova Scotia it was $16.55 for 2 pounds for First Class International. You can only do up to $400 in value with First Class International too so if it's more than that you'll have to use Priority Mail International if you use USPS.

You can actually do that postage online through the USPS website here - http://postcalc.usps.com/

Hmm, the price might be different for you but when I shipped a package from for my dad from Texas to Nova Scotia it was $16.55 for 2 pounds for First Class International. You can only do up to $400 in value with First Class International too so if it's more than that you'll have to use Priority Mail International if you use USPS.

You can actually do that postage online through the USPS website here - http://postcalc.usps.com/

Thanks Boone, I really appreciate the help,

Hmm, the price might be different for you but when I shipped a package from for my dad from Texas to Nova Scotia it was $16.55 for 2 pounds for First Class International. You can only do up to $400 in value with First Class International too so if it's more than that you'll have to use Priority Mail International if you use USPS.

Thanks Boone, I really appreciate the help,

You're welcome, glad to help out.

Hmm, the price might be different for you but when I shipped a package for my dad from Texas to Nova Scotia it was $16.55 for 2 pounds for First Class International. You can only do up to $400 in value with First Class International too so if it's more than that you'll have to use Priority Mail International if you use USPS.

It's hard or impossible to find the information on the near useless USPS website, but you can actually add Registered Mail to First Class international. That allows you to purchase up to 25K of insurance. There is a weight limit though. I think 4lbs but it might be as low as 2. You have to take the package into the PO and ask because registered cannot be done online regardless.

I've shipped a couple of expensive books this way. One to Great Britain, one to Canada. Both were insured for about 10K. It's a lot cheaper than other services.

With respect to Canada, what I found was if I wanted signature required I either had to ship priority or registered. $35 sounds right for priority, but since it is under 4 lbs, you can do 1st class registered for around $23. I always pay for it at the PO, never had good experience printing international labels.

If you like taunting the gods, you could ship plain 1st class for $11, but I don't recommend it.

I'm in Canada and for bigger value books I always ask the seller to send them by Fed-Ex. It does cost a little more but Fed Ex does all the customs clearance and when I get the book(s) I don't have to pay any taxes or duty as it's included in the Fed Ex price.

I'm in Canada and for bigger value books I always ask the seller to send them by Fed-Ex. It does cost a little more but Fed Ex does all the customs clearance and when I get the book(s) I don't have to pay any taxes or duty as it's included in the Fed Ex price.

Since when?

Last time I got something Fed Ex I was still charged duty and taxes

Since when?

Last time I got something Fed Ex I was still charged duty and taxes

Same and it was more than the actual shipping and book was worth.

I do it for books that are valued over $200.00

I just did it 2 weeks ago for an ASM 121 9.4 and ASM 42 9.2

I told the seller to pay it all up front and charge me.

I just ordered 1000 mylites from BCE and they added an extra $38.00 to my order to pay everything up front.

I just ordered the bags last Thursday.

For books under $200.00 it's obviously not worth it.

For the bigger books I would rather pay it all up front , plus I don't have to rely on Canada Post to deliver the box. I trust Fed Ex a lot more!

I even got this email from BCE:

Thank you for your order. Unfortunately we are now required by FedEx to initially collect the Clearance entry fees (This is the brokerage fee) and then the GST, (General Sales Tax) and/or the PST (Provincial Sales Tax) and/or the HST (Harmonized Sales Tax) fees that are assessed upon entry into Canada.

These additional fees are assessed by the Canadian government and/or by FedEx not by Bill Cole Enterprises, Inc.

The initial brokerage/GST or HST fee total for your order is $38.15. Please confirm and acknowledge, as these fees will be added to the order. Many thanks.

@Scturo: As far as shipping to Italy (which I guess is more costly) goes, after the rates went up I discovered it might be cheaper to use Priority but not Flat Rate.

Usually, however, for small quantities of comics, Flat Rate is better. Priority becomes more cost-effective for 20 books and more. Last time I think I spent a bit less than $40 for 20-22 comics, but I usually do bulk shipments of about 40-50 comics to take full advantage of Priority.

All this, of course, made possible thanks to some awesome board friends… :foryou:

@Scturo: As far as shipping to Italy (which I guess is more costly) goes, after the rates went up I discovered it might be cheaper to use Priority but not Flat Rate.

Usually, however, for small quantities of comics, Flat Rate is better. Priority becomes more cost-effective for 20 books and more. Last time I think I spent a bit less than $40 for 20-22 comics, but I usually do bulk shipments of about 40-50 comics to take full advantage of Priority.

All this, of course, made possible thanks to some awesome board friends… :foryou:

Thanks Vaillant, never know when I might have to ship to you. But now I may have to ship to Hawaii, but I think that might be same as regular. I still have to look it up.

I even got this email from BCE:

Thank you for your order. Unfortunately we are now required by FedEx to initially collect the Clearance entry fees (This is the brokerage fee) and then the GST, (General Sales Tax) and/or the PST (Provincial Sales Tax) and/or the HST (Harmonized Sales Tax) fees that are assessed upon entry into Canada.

These additional fees are assessed by the Canadian government and/or by FedEx not by Bill Cole Enterprises, Inc.

The initial brokerage/GST or HST fee total for your order is $38.15. Please confirm and acknowledge, as these fees will be added to the order. Many thanks.

That's Cause Fed Ex gas run into to many people who never paid their exorbitant fees.

When I get stuff in by Canada post I only pay GST and PST Never any clearance Entry fee .. Save money and try Postal if you can.

For the lesser valued books I use Canada Post but for the bigger ticket items I feel more secure using Fed Ex and don't mind paying the extra fees. The peace of mind is worth it to me.

If peace of mind is what you desire, registered mail ought to provide it just as well.