• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel and DC legos

53 posts in this topic

My son is turning 13 soon and whilst I've done everything in my power as a dad to show him the light of comicdom, he has taken a course of his own, but not as bad as it could be. He is crazy about Marvel and DC Legos. I figure its a good go as I have seen some sets and mini figures reach rather interesting high dollar amounts. I can not seem to get him to just tuck the unopened box away. He insists on building/playing and buying/wanting more. Does this appear to be the new love for young collectors? Will we/he look back years from now and appreciate these compared to comic books. He really enjoys them more, that's all I can say. Tonight he picked up a Guardians of the Galaxy set and the Rocket Raccoon mini figure is pretty cool, I got to admit.

I'm (fairly) active in chasing the 1980s Lego Castle and Space sets I grew up with, and it's not just me chasing/bidding on them. So, the older sets seem to already have a fan base established with older collectors returning to them.

The newer sets, not so sure. Always seems to be tons of them, still sealed, listed with high BINs. It seems like, as in comics, everything from the 90s on has been being saved in large quantities, in mint. But, if he likes 'em, that should be good enough. Just hide a sealed set or three from him for down the road, just in case. :)

I'm guessing a few of you are stock piling these and unload them at Christmas time? Seems like that's all there is to it.

Nah... I promise you that I am not stockpiling. Occasionally I sell something that I no longer want, but for the most part I have been buying a lego set, designing my own models and tinkering around with plastic bricks for as long as I can remember.

My six year old is crazy for Lego in general but Batman, Star Wars, and now the Lego Movie. I don't care that he opens and plays with them as it is great quality time when we sit together and build. I will admit, we have gone waaaaay overboard buying sets. We have the two big ships from the Pirates of the Caribbean, Arkham Asylum, the Millennium Falcon, Battle of Endor, Slave I, and all of the Lego Movie sets produced so far.

I wouldn't call myself an AFOL yet, but I am getting there…

Does this appear to be the new love for young collectors? Will we/he look back years from now and appreciate these compared to comic books.

If my 5 year old is any indication, YES, this is the new love. He pretty much swims, does Tae Kwon Do and plays Legos. He really doesn't play with any other toys…just Legos. I actually spent a few hours this weekend 'deepening' his large wooden Lego table because it was too shallow to hold all of his Legos. I honestly don't think I've ever liked anything as much as he likes Legos.

I used to work at the Lego store at the Mall of America until last month. It was my part time job and I really enjoyed it, but with my full time job and my family it just got to be to much. I have many many many sets, and the sets and other things that I got for my Christmas presents from Lego are awesome. I would let him play with them and you keep the boxes and instructions safe.

I have been using bricklink.com to fill in the gaps from my old sets and from the open sets we pick up on eBay. I haven't done much chat there, but it has been a Godsend for finding parts.

The best thing about that is that you really should NEVER buy a retired set for an inflated price before looking at bricklink to see if it is cheaper to source the parts. That is the beauty of Lego. There are sites that you can plug in the set number and it will tell you exactly what parts to order and in what colors to build it.

I will admit that I did get the Lunar Landing set by piecing it out for a fraction of the cost of a set. I still don't have the astronauts or box, but do have everything else. I got to build a LEM and teach my boy about the science that to us to the moon!

I will admit that I did get the Lunar Landing set by piecing it out for a fraction of the cost of a set. I still don't have the astronauts or box, but do have everything else. I got to build a LEM and teach my boy about the science that to us to the moon!

lol - I think that set is one of the best. I bought that when it came out and still have it is the only set that is has always been on my shelf since it debuted. I have pieced out a few sets over the years and whenever I design something, I have ordered parts using Bricklink.