• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel and DC legos

53 posts in this topic

My son is turning 13 soon and whilst I've done everything in my power as a dad to show him the light of comicdom, he has taken a course of his own, but not as bad as it could be. He is crazy about Marvel and DC Legos. I figure its a good go as I have seen some sets and mini figures reach rather interesting high dollar amounts. I can not seem to get him to just tuck the unopened box away. He insists on building/playing and buying/wanting more. Does this appear to be the new love for young collectors? Will we/he look back years from now and appreciate these compared to comic books. He really enjoys them more, that's all I can say. Tonight he picked up a Guardians of the Galaxy set and the Rocket Raccoon mini figure is pretty cool, I got to admit.

I made my son give up his legos and other toys around the age of 13. His other friends were drifting away from toys at the time and I was concerned he was going to end up a pariah. He is 15 now and into music, girls, football, etc.

I've bought some legos over the past few years, mostly the monster series that came out over the past two years or so but I slowed way down.

That has since changed since a new Lego Discovery Center and shop just opened and is a 10 minute walk from my house :applause:

Dangerous slippery slope...

Very.

I started out only buying the old castle stuff, since that's what I had as a kid. Strangely, lots of the newer castle sets ended up in my collection as well. Then somehow ended up with a bunch of the old space sets also... and some of the pirate sets. Lately, I've noticed more and more of the Star Wars, monsters and comics stuff creeping into my want lists... addictive!

Very.

I started out only buying the old castle stuff, since that's what I had as a kid. Strangely, lots of the newer castle sets ended up in my collection as well. Then somehow ended up with a bunch of the old space sets also... and some of the pirate sets. Lately, I've noticed more and more of the Star Wars, monsters and comics stuff creeping into my want lists... addictive!

The monster series was a lot of fun for me, but being a toy collector already I really don't have the space to display everything. After I built them I gave a few sets to a friend for his kids to play with.

I have to do some digging at my mom's house but I *think* I still have an old castle set from when I was a kid. i remember it being yellow and taking forever to build as a kid.

I made my son give up his legos and other toys around the age of 13. His other friends were drifting away from toys at the time and I was concerned he was going to end up a pariah. He is 15 now and into music, girls, football, etc.

... the fact that this was posted on a Comic Book board filled with adults who (for many) maintained their childhood interests on thru adulthood is somewhat funny...

[caveat, I dont know rjrjr or his son, so his specific situation is his deal, parents get to decide how to parent]

What could be better than the blending of two cool hobbies? My kids love super heroes but are also at an age where the desire to be 'hands on' wouldn't work well for delicate comics....so Lego makes for the perfect compromise. We even collect the Lego variant covers to pair with the original issues and hang them on their bedroom wall....lots of fun for me and the kids (since I enjoy the hunt more than they do right now). :headbang:

Some of our Variants:

2BB1796B-AD85-43BB-B1F9-74351D2A852F_zps5n6ndzro.jpg

Here are a few of our more actively used sets:

4E281060-4153-41AA-AF24-7EEA349844BA_zpsrtt5twrj.jpg

8AE544E5-20C2-41C4-BB67-6651066EFFBA_zps2rhp9tfw.jpg

and since the new Legoland Discovery Center in Somerville, MA opened, we've been collecting these little yellow bricks.

A2377D14-7E02-412E-AC28-62F0C886C870_zpsshapu7qn.jpg

some highlights of their build museum....(well, highlights for Boston fans anyway)...

57D8CEBC-0AB3-4E60-8A71-04EAD7967EB1_zpsqe44ofj5.jpg

456361BD-3A50-437D-99A0-F59A1AF48D04_zpsoth8srkk.jpg

8CA6F879-ED5D-4742-8A0C-0DACB9DE1E99_zps9slh4lea.jpg

I need to dig out our pics from out trip to LegoLand in KC. We all had a blast and the builds were amazing. They had a special on Wizard of Oz on display. I'm not big fan, but the work and detail in those things was a sight to behold!

Oooopps. I got lost in the LegoLand sights. I really wanted to pull together a set of the color Lego variants for my young 'un, but they seem to be holding their value pretty well. I thought that within 2-3 months of release they would be the usual $3-5 fodder, but no such luck.

My son is turning 13 soon and whilst I've done everything in my power as a dad to show him the light of comicdom, he has taken a course of his own, but not as bad as it could be. He is crazy about Marvel and DC Legos. I figure its a good go as I have seen some sets and mini figures reach rather interesting high dollar amounts. I can not seem to get him to just tuck the unopened box away. He insists on building/playing and buying/wanting more. Does this appear to be the new love for young collectors? Will we/he look back years from now and appreciate these compared to comic books. He really enjoys them more, that's all I can say. Tonight he picked up a Guardians of the Galaxy set and the Rocket Raccoon mini figure is pretty cool, I got to admit.

You are aware that literally tens of millions of these sets are sitting unopened while speculators erroneously wait to hit a pay day that will most likely never come. Just look at Lego Star Wars. How many sets made past 2006 are steadily increasing in value? Another thing that speculators have yet to consider is the fact that Lego may never lose the license to produce these sets. I like to use the example of the Lego Star Wars license. These sets have been in production since 1999. There is no reason to believe they won't till be made in 2019 or even 2029. The reason vintage Star Wars are worth money today is because number one, they were seen as toys first and collectibles second. We didn't have websites like brickpicker (or the internet either for that matter) back in 1978; and number two, these figures were only made from 1978 to 1985.

Another thing to consider is the amount of releases that occur. I remember getting into an argument on these very boards over the that fact that the Jango Fett minifigure was supposedly a good investment because it was never re-released. Guess what? Today it is readily available in a $19.99 set and as such that older version minifigure has dropped lke a rock on the secondary market.

Truth be told, Lego is a great toy, but a horrid investment at best.

The Monster Fighter series made me start collecting legos. I never did get the castle but I have almost the complete Monster series. Then, of course, I started collecting the DC ones.

I still want a Nightwing in blue on the bike but he is just costly for a little toy. The red one isn't the same. :(

I would love to learn more about Legos from the experienced collectors as well.

I read a story a while back about a guy who used a 3D printer to design LEGO compatible military weapons. This was in his free time, but the demand got to the point that he quit his job and enlisted his entire household to manufacture, package, and ship these things, I think he became an overnight millionaire. Pretty cool, and now that 3D printers are so much cheaper, I wonder if someone could do some comic book related stuff on one?

I read a story a while back about a guy who used a 3D printer to design LEGO compatible military weapons. This was in his free time, but the demand got to the point that he quit his job and enlisted his entire household to manufacture, package, and ship these things, I think he became an overnight millionaire. Pretty cool, and now that 3D printers are so much cheaper, I wonder if someone could do some comic book related stuff on one?

This guy I believe...

http://www.brickarms.com/

Wife & 6 year old love Legos. Spent several thousand dollars already on sets for them to build together. I don't have the patience. I'm "HULK SMASH", to tiny to build with. We are lucky there is a Lego store in San Diego and 2 in LA area we hit. Crazy prices for the toys. A few legos are good investments but not my area of expertise.

some highlights of their build museum....(well, highlights for Boston fans anyway)...

Thank you for sharing those photos, we don't have kids and won't be able to see this stuff until one of the adult evenings this summer!

I recognized those New England Comics stickers on the variants too (thumbs u

The only problem I for see is one of his friends telling him Legos are lame and him giving them up. My friends used to make fun of the fact that I played with ninja turtles when I was 10 lol but it never stopped me.

On the bright side, if he does stop building/playing, you'll have a lot to play with ;)

The only problem I for see is one of his friends telling him Legos are lame and him giving them up. My friends used to make fun of the fact that I played with ninja turtles when I was 10 lol but it never stopped me.

On the bright side, if he does stop building/playing, you'll have a lot to play with ;)

In Lego terms that would be referred to as the 'dark ages.' The time when one moves on from the toy, only to pick them up sometime down the road.

If you enjoy it collect it! The original TMNT line is hot right now.

Lego is already plural :baiting: