• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

**ALERT** Jay Abernathy aka Jays Jay's Collectables from Pulaski TN

149 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, a friend of mine who I've known for some time from my Star Wars collecting pursuits, and who recently has returned back to comic collecting, seems to have run into an issue with a Jay's Collectibles operating out of Pulaski, TN.

I wanted to help him get the word out, as it appears Jay's Collectables has accepted several key books and has not delivered on his end of the deal. My friend, whose name is also Joseph, received a box with two DVD's and crumpled cardboard instead of the Avengers 1 CGC 8.5 (restored) he was supposed to receive. Below is a snapshot of the post and a direct link to the thread on Facebook.

He obviously wants to be made whole in the situation, but also wanted to warn the collecting community at large about this situation to help others avoid running into the same problem, and/or the potential that someone unknowingly deals with the seller on these books, which at this point he is reporting as stolen property:

Joe_Y_zpsace2ad2b.jpg

I'm curious.

In what manner were the books shipped? Media, Priority? Express?

I've asked Joseph to register here in case there were any questions - he's in the process of working with local authorities in reporting the situation, so he might be able to answer better, but from a comment in that same thread, he seems to have sent it insured with signature (just not sure what exact service):

Joe_Y_comment_zpsf6c205e8.jpg

"ATTENTION: do NOT do business with Jay Abernathy aka Jays Jay's Collectables from Pulaski TN. Last week I made a trade with Jay. I was trading him the following books which as of now should be considered stolen:

Incredible Hulk 271 cgc universal 9.0 serial #0230095004

Iron Fist #1 CGC universal 8.5 serial # 0000809001

Iron Man #1 CGC universal 7.0 serial # 063081601

Amazing Spiderman 121 GCG universal 7.5 1198934001

Fantastic Four 48 PGX 6.5 501959469

apx 2k worth of graded books. STOLEN

In trade I was to be receiving an Avengers 1 CGC 8.5 restored

serial #1037233002.

I get to my work today after closing (it was my day off) to get the package as it had arrived today. I see the box and immediately know that something's completely wrong as the box can't hold a regular comic let alone a slabbed one. It the box were 2 DVDS and a bunch of crumpled cardboard. I've called, texted and Facebook messaged Jay several times in the past hr since this happened. If I don't hear back from him by tomorrow AM, I will be contacting both his local and Federal Authorities, as the dollar amount from this theft are enough to put him in jail. I'm also seeing who I know that lives in that part of the country to find him and retrieve either my books or the book that I'd initially traded for.

I've done thousands of high dollar trades and deals with people world wide and never seen such a bold theft. I will be reposting this in EVERY collecting group that I can find."

I don't see a listing on google for this guy for some reason. What am I missing? Is he a brick and mortar store or strictly operating out of his home under that name?

I don't see a listing on google for this guy for some reason. What am I missing? Is he a brick and mortar store or strictly operating out of his home under that name?

I tried to find a site, Yelp listing, anything, also. Couldn't find any info about him.

Full contact info for Jay's Collectibles would be helpful to see if he answers calls/e-mails from others, and so people know exactly who the scammer is. There is a 'Jay's Collectibles' in AL, so hopefully he doesn't get hurt through name association. Can't find anything in TN.

Is it possible that he was just sent the wrong package? That actually happened to me once. The seller sent mine to someone else and his to me by accident. It all got worked out.

Not trying to defend the seller here as I don't know the company and have never ordered from them. Just a hopeful thought that things will get worked out.

Plus only one hour of trying to make contact doesn't seem that long but again I hope this works out. It is a helpless feeling, I know.

so a Av1 8.5 ® is worth 2K :eyeroll:

In the realm of the possible is today's market. Maybe even more once people start resubmitting to 'he who shall not be named' to remove the stigma associated with the PLOD.

Regardless of your personal view of what restored books are worth, that's about 1/4 of what an unrestored 8.5 would fetch and that's with the current stigma against restored books. So for that part of the situation, IF the deal had gone as planned, I'd have been 100% content. with a PLOD 8.5 Avengers 1 in my collection. REGARDLESS, that doesn't belittle the fact that I didn't receive my items and this guy's out there. He also has over 2k in books from another person that sent books as a trade and received nothing.

My books were sent express, insured for 2k, with signature required. I'm waiting for a copy of the signature, as the post office has been contacted, along with local (RI and TN) police, as well as a Federal fraud report, and a discussion with a Federal Agent about the situation.

He still claims that he sent the wrong box. I'm trying to be optimistic, but also making sure that all the reports are in place to press charges and more if needed.

Thanks

Joe

Regardless of your personal view of what restored books are worth, that's about 1/4 of what an unrestored 8.5 would fetch and that's with the current stigma against restored books. So for that part of the situation, IF the deal had gone as planned, I'd have been 100% content. with a PLOD 8.5 Avengers 1 in my collection. REGARDLESS, that doesn't belittle the fact that I didn't receive my items and this guy's out there. He also has over 2k in books from another person that sent books as a trade and received nothing.

My books were sent express, insured for 2k, with signature required. I'm waiting for a copy of the signature, as the post office has been contacted, along with local (RI and TN) police, as well as a Federal fraud report, and a discussion with a Federal Agent about the situation.

He still claims that he sent the wrong box. I'm trying to be optimistic, but also making sure that all the reports are in place to press charges and more if needed.

Thanks

Joe

Hope it all works out for you Joe.

I live a few hours away from Pulaski, TN. It's been a long-time since I've been there, but I can't imagine anyone opening a comic shop there. It's a very small town and it's far from any population centers. I can't imagine a brick and mortar establishment surviving there for long.

It's pretty close to the border with Alabama.

I couldn't find any info online. Does the business have a street address?

Thanks

Joe

Hope it all works out for you Joe.

+1

Joseph is a very well respected individual in the SW toy collecting communities, and it's unfortunate that this incident happened so early in his return to collecting comics.

My hope is that the individual follows through on his part of the deal, that people here steer clear of potentially dealing on comics whose current status is stolen property (and will remain that way until Jay delivers on his end of deal), and that Joseph not get too discouraged from this situation.

I live a few hours away from Pulaski, TN. It's been a long-time since I've been there, but I can't imagine anyone opening a comic shop there. It's a very small town and it's far from any population centers. I can't imagine a brick and mortar establishment surviving there for long.

It's pretty close to the border with Alabama.

I couldn't find any info online. Does the business have a street address?

They could always use the address Joseph mailed his books to (if it wasn't a P.O. Box) and zoom in on a google map satellite view and see what type of building is located there. I'm guessing it's just some guy doing this out of his house.

Good on you. That seems like the typical response from scammers to dissuade you from moving further with filing charges. Man, good luck.