• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

**ALERT** Jay Abernathy aka Jays Jay's Collectables from Pulaski TN

149 posts in this topic

A trimmed 8.5 sold for $2400 in 2011 but a fair point to be made.

That's a good thing to know, thanks. Until this happened, I would have thought somewhere in the $2-$3K range depending on the extent of restoration.

Trimming certainly could be a game changer. I am sorry for your friend's loss. No one deserves to be cheated, ever.

Thanks, and I agree. Tough break too because it seems the seller had a good feedback score on eBay - infrequent, but I have to say nothing too alarming and those photos wouldn't have made me think anything was off.

This is the problem with Facebook trades.

100% agree. I did one trade earlier in the year, and I have to say that I generally shy away from trades, but if you get a hint of iffy-ness on Facebook, it's better to pull away.

The address is a house, but many people that do collectables as a side biz do that, so it didn't raise a flag. I'd checked with others that I'd dealt with on FB to see if they'd bought anything from him. A few had, even a few $100+ books, and everyone seemed to have good experiences w. him.I'm still in contact with him, and right now he's saying that the book will go out today, overnight, and that I'll have tracking by the end of the day. I hope that he just settles this. Plane tickets and rental cars are expensive.

J

He scammed you. I was working on a deal with him in regards to a TOS 39. He wanted me to ship him books and at the same time he would ship me books. I said no thanks as I don't trust anyone for a deal that big. I will paypal him the money for it and cover the fees, he then found every excuse not to follow through with the deal.

:o

I hope that he just settles this. Plane tickets and rental cars are expensive.

Just make sure his real name isn't Todd Zarnecki.

He scammed you. I was working on a deal with him in regards to a TOS 39. He wanted me to ship him books and at the same time he would ship me books. I said no thanks as I don't trust anyone for a deal that big. I will paypal him the money for it and cover the fees, he then found every excuse not to follow through with the deal.

:o

I had a bad feeling this seller tried this with others. That's one of the things about Facebook right now that is both good and bad. It's a catch-all, which means you have sellers fleeing eBay out of principle, to save on fees, or to find another place to pull their dodgy deals. I usually ask people for eBay feedback and if they have an NRA or too much negative feedback, I avoid dealing with them on Facebook. It's just not worth the hassle for me.

On the flipside, you get a lot of people who never bothered selling any of their stuff quickly finding a venue through their circle of friends, and some incredible "fresh to market" stuff pops up from time to time.

Unfortunately, all of us can probably see the warning signs on sites like eBay a mile away, but Facebook groups are still too new a venue for people to be able to tell in a reliable way. Sadly, it comes down to being suspicious, having your squint on high alert, and possibly needing to spruce up your detective skills to pull off a deal without a hitch.

Regardless of your personal view of what restored books are worth, that's about 1/4 of what an unrestored 8.5 would fetch and that's with the current stigma against restored books. So for that part of the situation, IF the deal had gone as planned, I'd have been 100% content. with a PLOD 8.5 Avengers 1 in my collection. REGARDLESS, that doesn't belittle the fact that I didn't receive my items and this guy's out there. He also has over 2k in books from another person that sent books as a trade and received nothing.

My books were sent express, insured for 2k, with signature required. I'm waiting for a copy of the signature, as the post office has been contacted, along with local (RI and TN) police, as well as a Federal fraud report, and a discussion with a Federal Agent about the situation.

He still claims that he sent the wrong box. I'm trying to be optimistic, but also making sure that all the reports are in place to press charges and more if needed.

Thanks

Joe

SO you slandered a person's livelihood over something that could be an honest mistake?

You need to calm down and collect all the facts first before you sit in front of your computer.

Unfortunately, all of us can see the warning signs on sites like eBay, but Facebook groups are still too new a venue for people to be able to tell. Sadly, it comes down to being suspicious, having your squint on high alert, and possibly needing to spruce up your detective skills to pull off a deal without a hitch.

+1

I was cruising around looking at Facebook pages that buy/sell/trade comics (we use Facebook garage sale all the time) and I wondered how sketchy it really was. Guess this is my answer.

As Fingh said: hope Joe gets set right, no one deserves to be scammed out of their books.

Regardless of your personal view of what restored books are worth, that's about 1/4 of what an unrestored 8.5 would fetch and that's with the current stigma against restored books. So for that part of the situation, IF the deal had gone as planned, I'd have been 100% content. with a PLOD 8.5 Avengers 1 in my collection. REGARDLESS, that doesn't belittle the fact that I didn't receive my items and this guy's out there. He also has over 2k in books from another person that sent books as a trade and received nothing.

My books were sent express, insured for 2k, with signature required. I'm waiting for a copy of the signature, as the post office has been contacted, along with local (RI and TN) police, as well as a Federal fraud report, and a discussion with a Federal Agent about the situation.

He still claims that he sent the wrong box. I'm trying to be optimistic, but also making sure that all the reports are in place to press charges and more if needed.

Thanks

Joe

SO you slandered a person's livelihood over something that could be an honest mistake?

You need to calm down and collect all the facts first before you sit in front of your computer.

You'd think someone would get more than an hour to find out about, and correct their mistake before someone started posting the sky is falling. It's a new world.

Yeah, but this doesn't help ...

Until you're caught in the thick of situations like this, you don't realize how low a threshold of tolerance you have for being scammed. To recap, it seems like this person has tried this with one member here, people feel the "wrong box" excuse is a stalling tactic, and from one of the victims earlier posts, he states there is another party who has also sent $2K worth of books who hasn't received what they were promised:

He also has over 2k in books from another person that sent books as a trade and received nothing.

I know when I found out (unfortunately much later than in this case) there were two other people that had been scammed by the person who took me for a ride in 2012, all bets were off that I was going to get what was promised.

Yeah, but this doesn't help ...

I agree. The guy sounds very shady. I don't think someone should have completed a transaction like this in the first place with an unknown. Still, an hour to answer and respond to a missed phone call is not enough time to have elapsed before you start posting accusations on the web. More concrete facts are needed before you start a smear campaign. Anyways... I hope everything turns out alright for both parties.

If a person is contacting me to do a trade via facebook/ebay or my website and I've never done business with them they have to send me the books first. No books, no trade. If they don't want to ship me the books I remind them that I don't know who they are. Again, these are my books. Unless you have ironclad referrals you don't get my books first or "we both mail at the same time" type transactions.

Sorry, I really hate threads like this.

Thanks

Joe

OK, I'll send you a DVD instead of a 2k book and ignore you (he'd seen my FB messages but hadn't responded) and see how you react.

Thanks

Joe

You'd think someone would get more than an hour to find out about, and correct their mistake before someone started posting the sky is falling. It's a new world.

He's had some time now. Where is he?