• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First time @ SDCC this year...

25 posts in this topic

Any advice? I was curious to see if this was a convention to get things signed and graded like any other convention, or is SDCC too hectic? Which artists/writers usually comes to SDCC that never/rarely shows anywhere else?

Last few years its been elbow to elbow room for me. Browsing through some vendors is like a cramped room of pigs fighting over some milk duds.

Here's the list of special guests: http://www.comic-con.org/cci/2014/special-guests I don't know about exclusive guests because most of the notable ones will have ended up elsewhere. My usual go to are the celebrities that like to attend. I would get their signature witnessed in front of CGC for just pure collecting/personal purposes as compared to flipping a buck.

A lot of stuff around the show in Gaslamp District and towards the Padres parking lot area by the bridge. Also stuff hidden between the convention center and the Hilton Bay Front.

Have fun, great show to go to. I would bring comic book bags and boards in case you buy raw books or get OA off chance to protect against people bumping into you.

I also always buy at Dale Roberts, A1 Comics, and HighGrade when I'm there. Great dealers IMO.

Unless you wake up early and stand in line, Hasbro line is impossible to buy items.

I had a few items CGC SS by Desertwind, I would call them when I came close to being signed and they found where I was and witnessed. No issues.

Also, if you want SDCC exclusive comic books, avoid Mile High, they charge a lot more for the books than the listed cover price. Go to any other dealer and get the face value to purchase them.

Thanks, everyone! More advice is welcome! Also, good or bad time to get comissions done?

Set them up early. Even for smaller names. The big guys usually are filled immediately.

Still... You can get plenty done and sometimes even surprise yourself.

I thought artist alley was easy to get around last year.

I have yet to camp overnight for Hall H but it might be necessary this year if Lucasfilm and Marvel Studios are both in there on the same day. They would be wise to schedule them separate days.

I heard something about them clearing Hall H between scheduled events/panels/presentations. Is that true?

Thanks, everyone! More advice is welcome! Also, good or bad time to get comissions done?

For bigger names that are setup in artist alley, you will want to get to them early. Last year, Art Adams, Bruce Timm, Mark Brooks, Humberto Ramos, all 4 had reasonable prices but were booked solid by the time I got from the exclusive lines over to them.

For some of the other artists, if you want quicker sketches, try to get a hold of the Image / Dark Horse / DC booth schedules and plan to be there when an artist you like is. Lots of free / quick sketches. They are there to meet their fans and talk/promote their current books. I found myself trying to avoid walking around so I stayed at the Image booth for a few hours. I had a small sketch book (9x12) and was able to add 8 Batman sketches to my collection in the matter of 2 hours. (DC booth - wrist band signings will not be opportunities to get sketches. just a heads up on that)

Hulk gets angry if you take his picture without first handing him $10.

does Lou Ferigno still go to every con? I only went to one con ever and saw him there i think that was the 2006 LA Wizard World.

one day i will try to go to SDCC and NY Comic con :)