• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what a joke these registry awards are

222 posts in this topic

If you let us know where you see this, we will investigate and delete sets where this is happening.

That would make way too much sense though! :o

Dena, can we revisit additional points being awarded for Pedigrees? (shrug) I mean, that seems to be the biggest shortcoming right now with the registry and something that really should be fixed. It costs money to get a SS book, but it's pretty easy to get Stan Lee to sign anything and - extra points! :acclaim: Pedigrees cost more and are difficult to find. No need to distinguish between the pedigree sets. Maybe just award them the same amount of extra points given for SS books. (thumbs u 2c

And possibly a small points differential on PQ. But that is a smaller request.

In any given title there may or may not be pedigree. It should never be more than SS and would only frustrate most collectors. Even if you made it more than universal then you may alienate those collectors in sets with no possible SS.

Increasing Pedigree would only satisfy a small percentage of collectors.

LINK

(thumbs u

I guess your response might be:

"Many of the pedigree collections were recognized and accepted by the hobby before CGC came into existence in late 1999."

The point is - they're still recognized by CGC. Not everything that is a collection = a pedigree. It must meet certain criteria set by CGC. So if they recognize a book or a collection as significant - at least enough to designate a pedigree and label it as such - they should stand by that recognition with points.

No one can create artificial points by making a pedigree book. You either find one and buy it. Or you don't. Someone can easily "make points" by simply sending a book off to Desert Wind and having Stan Lee sign it and - more points. :acclaim:

How is that not alienating to collectors that are not really into SS? As it stands now, if you really want to compete in the Registry, you are forced to own some SS books. There should be other ways to earn points. I think adding points for pedigrees and differentiating on PQ is a very good start.

I would guess that to the majority of collectors they are the same. Who even decides what is a pedigree?

CGC. You know, the one's that run the Registry. :whistle:

No.

Pedigrees were established by public opinion long before the CGC ever came into the picture.

LINK

(thumbs u

I guess your response might be:

"Many of the pedigree collections were recognized and accepted by the hobby before CGC came into existence in late 1999."

The point is - they're still recognized by CGC. Not everything that is a collection = a pedigree. It must meet certain criteria set by CGC. So if they recognize a book or a collection as significant - at least enough to designate a pedigree and label it as such - they should stand by that recognition with points.

No one can create artificial points by making a pedigree book. You either find one and buy it. Or you don't. Someone can easily "make points" by simply sending a book off to Desert Wind and having Stan Lee sign it and - more points. :acclaim:

How is that not alienating to collectors that are not really into SS? As it stands now, if you really want to compete in the Registry, you are forced to own some SS books. There should be other ways to earn points. I think adding points for pedigrees and differentiating on PQ is a very good start.

There have been many discussions of a separate SS registry. You also just demonstrated why Pedigrees should not have more points. Making a "golden ticket" for some registry sets will just frustrate and kill competition.