• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Somebody just stole my registry book

34 posts in this topic

Once, I had a similar situation where the person awarded the #1 Set had sold most of his books off in auction. I alerted CGC and they asked for some proof. I pointed them to the auction, I believe he had them in a CLink auction, but I never got a response nor any action from CGC. Though I still use the registry I no longer look at it as competitive or fun.

I have actually done this very thing to someone. I purchased a book on eBay and usually ask the question if the book in the photo was stock or if the book I was purchasing was my book. The seller stated it was the actual book so I used his photo and the number on the listing. Turned out it wasn't the same book and was actually owned by someone on the boards.

I did apologize and feel like but learned my lesson as now I simply wait until the book is in hand before adding it. Some people who do it are low life's and some make an honest mistake.

I have actually done this very thing to someone. I purchased a book on eBay and usually ask the question if the book in the photo was stock or if the book I was purchasing was my book. The seller stated it was the actual book so I used his photo and the number on the listing. Turned out it wasn't the same book and was actually owned by someone on the boards.

I did apologize and feel like but learned my lesson as now I simply wait until the book is in hand before adding it. Some people who do it are low life's and some make an honest mistake.

I did a similar thing once. I bought a 9.8 modern, and waited until it arrived to add it to my Registry. But I added it to my Registry based on the photo in the auction. A few months later I got a notice that someone else wanted to register my serial number. I checked, and the slab I was sent was one number off from the one in the photo. Looks like the original submitter sent in several of them but only used one photo for an example. I immediately released the serial number I had used and changed my regisrty to the serial number I actually had.

The difference is that I did have a slabbed copy of that comic in that grade, and so did not benefit by claiming a book I did not own; there was no difference in registry points. Mistakes and accidents happen, but the circumstances of this case suggest that bigdaddydc was intentionally poaching serial numbers at the last minute to boost what appears to be an already impressive collection of Silver and Bronze. If not, there should be a simple explanation.

What bigdaddy deserves is for next year a "dummy account" (created solely for one purpose) rips him off of his entire CGC catalog in the dying minutes before CGC gates close.

Nah. They gave his name. bigdaddydc

I wasn't gonna call him out, but he never messaged me or anything to apologize for ganking my book, so

it

He sent me a registry PM a few weeks ago about Nova #6 CGC 9.8. I told him I was keeping it, since it is low census (3)

Looking at his set, it looks like he needs that one. Is that the one he tried to steal from your set?

Nah. They gave his name. bigdaddydc

I wasn't gonna call him out, but he never messaged me or anything to apologize for ganking my book, so

it

He sent me a registry PM a few weeks ago about Nova #6 CGC 9.8. I told him I was keeping it, since it is low census (3)

Looking at his set, it looks like he needs that one. Is that the one he tried to steal from your set?

Close. It was Nova #11.

It's quite possible he ordered it from the same website I got mine from, because they've had multiple copies, and his new cert number is on that website as well. But... they're pretty solid about sending the exact book pictured. And if it was an honest mistake, I'd think an honest person would send an apology. (shrug)

And I just saw the name for your registry set. Awesome. :applause:

I've spent the last six months going through my registry and deleting books I have sold. I had a least a dozen in it that I had never owned. I can only assume they got there by me entering a cert number incorrectly and it corresponding to a different book. Mistakes happen.

Your right, its just points... I don't have a lot of books, and I work hard for what i've managed to put together. I invisioned someone swipeing my books (Not points). Accidents happen.