• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM 242 - Canadian edition?

8 posts in this topic

Hi,

I bought this book new in a comic book shop in Toronto, back in the day, which is to say, back in 1983. I was just idly looking at some CGC census data and I see they have slabbed one copy of "Country Variant". A "Canadian Edition" of ASM 242.

I never knew that in the mid-1980s there was any difference in the print runs for the USA and Canada.

Can anyone say how this copy is different from copies sold in the USA?

And of course . . . thanks for your grades!

:foryou:

asm242_fr_zpsfee619c1.jpg

asm242_zbk_zpse7bef34c.jpg

9.2 IMHO! But the book you've posted is not a Canadian variant. It is a regular edition that was available in Canada and the US. The Canadian variants had much smaller print runs than their US counterpart and they were only available in Canada. Only in Canada you say, pity. (Sorry, an old Canadian TV commercial) The Canadian variant will have bar codes where the Spider-man head imprint is (the UPC box) and the cover price would be indicating the Canadian price only (not US price and usually not the UK price either)

OK, thanks. I thought the bar codes were used for books going to regular retailers (a.k.a. newsstands) -- to signify that the unsold books could be returned. When the "Spidey-head" appeared in the cover box, it signified "direct sales" stock going to comic book shops on a non-returnable basis.

I'd like to see a true Canadian variant, if anyone has one.

[[ I see the preceding post now . . . ]]

Hi Timern,

Thanks for clarifying the US/Canadian variants vs. Direct Sales books.

Nice set of ASM #252 (with variants!) you have there.

(worship)

Thanks but the first one (unfortunately) is not mine. The other two I am happy to say are mine! Glad I could help.

Cheers!

Tim