• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hello Everyone Im New and Have a Question

29 posts in this topic

Hello im pretty much a comic noob (only been collecting for about a year). What I have been doing lately is buying peoples collections mostly on Craigslist and Yard Sales and then keeping what I want then trying to sell off the rest....

My question is this: whats a good way to sell off "excess inventory"? Most of the stuff I have is modern/copper some bronze that I want to sell off. I opened a small booth in a local antique mall that has about 1500-2000 of my comics that I want to liquidate. I have only 3 prices..... $1 - $1.75 and $2.75. So most of the books are priced way below value and there are many that are worth $3-$8 that are marked $1.75 or $2.75 and the $1 books are random mostly indy stuff.....

Any thoughts/experiences on what im doing? Constructive criticism + input welcomed. Thanks guys/gals!

I would think the price of the booth would outweigh the prices you are selling books for. Unless you're willing to work the booth and keep adding inventory, get your name out there etc, you are just wasting money IMO.

Blow it off for $20 a long box at your LCS or put it on craigslist.

Hello im pretty much a comic noob (only been collecting for about a year). What I have been doing lately is buying peoples collections mostly on Craigslist and Yard Sales and then keeping what I want then trying to sell off the rest....

My question is this: whats a good way to sell off "excess inventory"? Most of the stuff I have is modern/barley bronze that I want to sell off. I opened a small booth in a local antique mall that has about 1500-2000 of my comics that I want to liquidate. I have only 3 prices..... $1 - $1.75 and $2.75. So most of the books are priced way below value and there are many that are worth $3-$8 that are marked $1.75 or $2.75 and the $1 books are random mostly indy stuff.....

Any thoughts/experiences on what im doing? Constructive criticism + input welcomed. Thanks guys/gals!

Best to keep what you want and like pirate suggested, list the rest on craigslist and blow them out for $15-20 a longbox depending on whats in it.

First, I'll say that I'm not a dealer and don't know specifically what books you're selling as "excess," but I may be able to add some perspective.

When buying collections/lots, you should only be willing to pay for the parts of the collection you actually want. You know all that excess inventory you don't want? Chances are everyone else feels the same way about it. Assume you are taking a loss on the duplicates, then whatever you can recover is a bonus.

Maybe bundle all your extras and resell them on Craigslist yourself? Assuming you've picked out the keys, be happy to recover 30-50 cents each on Copper/Modern filler. Most people who want them already have them. Some of your Bronze Age may be coming into its own, and might be worth selling as 3-4 issue runs or lots on eBay or the marketplace here. It all depends on the actual issues themselves.

Hope any of this helps...

I have only 3 prices..... $1 - $1.75 and $2.75. So most of the books are priced way below value and there are many that are worth $3-$8 that are marked $1.75 or $2.75 and the $1 books are random mostly indy stuff.....

What are some examples of books that are worth $3 - $8?

20$ a longbox :eek:

The main reason I am trying the "mini store" idea that I have is because I hate the idea of $20-$40 long boxes... I know many maybe most collectors blow out their inventory that way but in my short experiance with comics...I have been able to sell comics all day long @ $1.50 - $2 the few times I went to the flea market with them...I just dont have time going to the flea market every weekend. Thats where the idea of the mini-store came in. The spot cost me like $80 per month and is open 7 days a week. (not trying to justify or defend my actions just giving you the background).

Thought/Opinions/Criticisms very much still welcomed :)

I have only 3 prices..... $1 - $1.75 and $2.75. So most of the books are priced way below value and there are many that are worth $3-$8 that are marked $1.75 or $2.75 and the $1 books are random mostly indy stuff.....

What are some examples of books that are worth $3 - $8?

Thats a great question... like many .30 -.50 cent: uncanny x-men, avengers, thor...superman..... Those I would say are the "better books"...I know not great

I wish I had saved the books that were 'common' back in the day instead of blowing out a longbox to my co worker for $20 in 1986.

Lotta $100-$300 books in that box now.

My question is this: whats a good way to sell off "excess inventory"?

Depends on what you mean by "good": there's "fast", and then there's "profitable", both of which can be "good" depending upon your goals. But the two rarely coincide when it comes to bulk stock like this...

Depends on what you mean by "good": there's "fast", and then there's "profitable", both of which can be "good" depending upon your goals. But the two rarely coincide when it comes to bulk stock like this...

What is your "profitable" idea for bulk stock that is only valued by overstreet @ say $2-$5 per book?

Have you looked at mycomicshop.com to sell

(http://www.mycomicshop.com/webuycomics)

I know some others have used them and the son's owner is a member here. His profile - http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showprofile&User=14028

I've never sold anything myself to them but if you check out the website link, it may give you an idea of what values a dealer could give you if you do something quick and in bulk.

Here is an old thread about selling to to them - http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4113946&fpart=1 (different perspectives on experiences there and it is a few years old thread).

Donate some to any place that cares for children, if you want to get rid of some and want to do something nice.

Bundle 'em up and save time with a few "bulk" sales, instead of trying to piece work yourself into a slump.

Just make sure there's no Saga in there.

What is your "profitable" idea for bulk stock that is only valued by overstreet @ say $2-$5 per book?

Find the time to work them at the flea market where you've already had good luck moving books like this:

I have been able to sell comics all day long @ $1.50 - $2 the few times I went to the flea market with them...I just dont have time going to the flea market every weekend. Thats where the idea of the mini-store came in.

(shrug)

Like I said...fast and profitable are almost always mutually exclusive for this kind of inventory. But your time is also valuable, so bulking them out to a working show dealer or MCS might still be your best bet under the circumstances...

Antiques malls are not optimal for selling comics. I doubt you'd sell $80 a month worth of books to cover the cost. Comics that aren't worth much aren't worth much. But if you hang on to them long enough that can change.

Antiques malls are not optimal for selling comics. I doubt you'd sell $80 a month worth of books to cover the cost. Comics that aren't worth much aren't worth much. But if you hang on to them long enough that can change.

This is absolutely not true.

If you price things well and keep updating your stock, you can sell a lot of comics.

Now I'm not saying if you have 5 long boxes of 90s Valiant and Image books. But if you have a nice range of titles at good prices, antique malls can be a good way to move stock.