• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Original Comic Strip Art

16 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyone here collects comic strips in addition to/rather than comic book pages. I've looked around the web a couple times, but was wondering if anyone's really into this field. I've always wanted a Trudeau, Breathed, Watterson (I know these are real tough), Scott Adams or even a new guy like Darby Conley.

I was wondering if anyone here collects comic strips in addition to/rather than comic book pages. I've looked around the web a couple times, but was wondering if anyone's really into this field. I've always wanted a Trudeau, Breathed, Watterson (I know these are real tough), Scott Adams or even a new guy like Darby Conley.

I REALLY want a Watterson Calvin & Hobbes strip. I just found my old compilation books and I rediscovered how much I love this strip! I used to read it in college in the late-80's. God I love Spaceman Spiff! laugh.gif

I own exactly ONE comic strip art piece. It is the very first strip of Howard The Duck with art by Kupperberg.

I love Calvin & Hobbes as well, but I don't think that Watterson let go of any of the pieces. Similarly, he only allowed one licensed calendar..everything else you see is a unauthorized rip-off.

ERRRRRRR.... that is incorrect. makepoint.gif

He has donated some strips to charity which were auctioned off and are now in the secondary market. Unfortunately, there are VERY few of these strips available. Last one I saw was in 2003 on eBay and sold for $500.

I'm currently doing one wall of my library as a daily "funny page"--trying to get a nice example of each of the strips I like.

So far, I have Peanuts, Pogo, Fritzi Ritz, Nancy, Archie, Blondie, Tumbleweeds, BC, King Aroo (anyone else know this one?) and Hagar the Horrible.

I will (or would like to) add Doonesbury, Bloom County, Wizard of Id, Dilbert, Drabble, Get Fuzzy, Pearls Before Swine, Mother Goose and Grimm, The Norm and Calvin and Hobbes (I'm sure I've left something off--feel free to remind me). Calvin and Hobbes is virtually impossible at this point. Hopefully, Waterson will take pity on us all and start selling some of his strips, but I kinda doubt it. I've had no luck with Pearls or Get Fuzzy either...

I think that original strips are a great adjunct to comic collecting and look great on the wall cloud9.gif

I love Calvin & Hobbes as well, but I don't think that Watterson let go of any of the pieces. Similarly, he only allowed one licensed calendar..everything else you see is a unauthorized rip-off.

He has donated some strips to charity which were auctioned off and are now in the secondary market. Unfortunately, there are VERY few of these strips available. Last one I saw was in 2003 on eBay and sold for $500.

$500 really surprises me--I would think more like $5000. The only C&H strip auction I've seen on ebay was almost certainly a scam.

$500 really surprises me--I would think more like $5000. The only C&H strip auction I've seen on ebay was almost certainly a scam.

Really? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I would be shocked if a real Calvin and Hobbes went for less then $2000. Watterson is extremely tight with his art and his rights to his characters. There is basically no licensed Calvin and Hobbes stuff.

Heck, Shultz Peanuts strips can get into 6 figures and THOSE are available.

I would be shocked if a real Calvin and Hobbes went for less then $2000. Watterson is extremely tight with his art and his rights to his characters. There is basically no licensed Calvin and Hobbes stuff.

Have there been any public sales over $100K? The highest I've seen is an exceptional Sunday strip that sold for a little over $70K (incl. bp) at Heritage's NYC auction earlier this year, but I haven't seen anything else come even close. Most of his strips seem to sell for less high 4 figures or low 5 figures ($10-$20K). I don't collect it myself, but I've seen a fair amount of it come up for sale.

What you may have seen is a Calvin and Hobbes drawing. Every now and then those come up, the last one went for 500-600, something like that. I have NEVER seen a strip come up for sale. Same with Liberty Meadows - NONE of them have ever been for sale.

You are right, I was a little agressive with my zeroes. foreheadslap.gif Though 10K + is still pretty impressive.

Have there been any public sales over $100K? The highest I've seen is an exceptional Sunday strip that sold for a little over $70K (incl. bp) at Heritage's NYC auction earlier this year, but I haven't seen anything else come even close. Most of his strips seem to sell for less high 4 figures or low 5 figures ($10-$20K). I don't collect it myself, but I've seen a fair amount of it come up for sale.

What you may have seen is a Calvin and Hobbes drawing. Every now and then those come up, the last one went for 500-600, something like that. I have NEVER seen a strip come up for sale. Same with Liberty Meadows - NONE of them have ever been for sale.

You are correct FD. It was a drawing, not a strip. My bad. It sold in 10/02 on eBay.

662890-CalvinHobbes_Waterson.jpg

662890-CalvinHobbes_Waterson.jpg.6341534952d71c5c723e295c737be204.jpg