• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grail Art?

118 posts in this topic

I'm sure my grail piece would come as a shock to everyone that knows me.

I have it narrowed down to about 5 pieces, but one sticks out a bit more than the others.

The cover to The Cat #4. Which was sold on Heritage a few months ago.

I held high bid for a while, but a tear came to my eye when it passed the level of what I could afford.

The reason I would choose this piece is that it symbolizes everything about why I love comic books.

I bought it new off the stands, and it was one of my first books.

I read that comic over and over, and Man Bull never failed to send a shiver down my spine. The page where he bursts through the wall with the red background, and the look of a demon from hell. It chilled me to the bone.

I can remember having nightmares about Man Bull. 893whatthe.gif

A few other pieces have nostalgic value for me. But none with the impact that this comic had. cloud9.gif

I hope whoever bought it loves it as much as I would have. sorry.gif

809060003o.jpg

ASM #25 cover art by the great Steve Ditko.

It's out there somewhere... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Just as an aside to this, a question for some of the long term art collectors...Does anyone know how many of Ditko's ASM covers actually still exist? I know that not too much care was taken over original art back in the 60's and Marvel used to thow a lot of out themselves. 893whatthe.gif

I know #10, #25 and #30 exist. Any others? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

ASM #25 cover art by the great Steve Ditko.

It's out there somewhere... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Just as an aside to this, a question for some of the long term art collectors...Does anyone know how many of Ditko's ASM covers actually still exist? I know that not too much care was taken over original art back in the 60's and Marvel used to thow a lot of out themselves. 893whatthe.gif

I know #10, #25 and #30 exist. Any others? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Those are the only ones I know of. frown.gif

Actual art used in a comic book? DKR #1 page 26 would probably qualify.

Art by a "comic book" artist- a Wrightson Frankenstein plate. Any of them really, although if I had to choose I'd go with the confrontational "I will be with you on your wedding night..."

Actual art used in a comic book? DKR #1 page 26 would probably qualify.

Art by a "comic book" artist- a Wrightson Frankenstein plate. Any of them really, although if I had to choose I'd go with the confrontational "I will be with you on your wedding night..."

that would be an intense piece of art! I remember back in the early 90's when those plates kept coming up for sale, and "weak" ones were bringing $8,000. What the art market has done since, I would love to know what Frankenstein plates would go for nowadays.