• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My very brief WWPA report

8 posts in this topic

So since we are all discussing the "shows" here was my take.

Arrived at about 1PM on Sunday. Anthony, My wife, and myself walked directly to CGC's booth to try and get the books we submitted on Thursday. They werent there.. THAT was irritating. We then walked over to High Grade comics booth and said hello to SOT and Bronze Bruce, two of the best guys in this hobby. We spoke briefly, then we left to start buying.

Our whole point of being was to buy comics. We had a few 1,000 to spend, and wanted to "spread it around". First booth was some younger guys with some "hot books. We went through almost every book on their display, built a modest stack, struck a deal and moved on. First booth was nice, got some cool stuff!

Next we walked the floor stopping at booths here and there. The selection was okay, but alot of dealers were trying to milk too much out of books. Lesson one - learn to grade, not guess, grade! Lesson two - Do not price your raw 9.6 over 9.8 GPA, it will not sell. Some guys do not get it.

That said, it was light on dealers. BUT I ran into Al of Basement comics and his wife. They are some of my favorite people in this hobby, and Al has been very helpful to me in making the transition to a dealer. Also he said "Go see Dave, he has nice stuff". I said OK!

So I start digging and making a pile. Dave has some nice stuff! So after about 10 minutes Dave starts chatting me up, nice guy! After about 20 minutes, he starts explaining his pricing and such. He was really nice and started discussing his discounting process. After about 30 minutes, I was literally falling over, I hadn't eaten yet. But, we were done! So we drop off a big fat stack of box stock, not keys, and I tell him I will be back I need food.

We leave and went to Reading Terminal for a "turkey steak"... Dear lord, that sandwich was AMAZING!! So with a full belly we walk back over to settle up. Dave has everything broken up into discount, etc.. I was happy with the deal we struck, I barely haggled anymore. For ANY dealer to have a large sale of back issues at a modest discount, and virtually no keys, this is a WIN! I was treated very nice, made a very nice deal, and met a new dealer that I like dealing with. It is Dave Kapelka BTW, great guy!

So after this we leave to drop off books at High Grades booth, then went to CGC. And we were greeted with a big fat box of 9.8's and 1 9.6. Submitted 28 books and 27 came back 9.8!! AWESOME! Virtually every book in there a key from the BA to MA. Absolutely stunned! CGC is forgiven lol

We then hung around, walked about, and stopped to see what was what. It is a shame that more comics dealers were not there, maybe next time. We then went and helped High Grade comics load up to go home. I even got a kiss from Smilin' Bob. I really do love the guy like family, get well Bob!

So that is my brief one day report. There was money, but some of these clowns scare off potential buyers. The guys who are asking regular prices, get sales.

And I still love Killadelphia!

We leave and went to Reading Terminal for a "turkey steak"...

Not a corned beef special?

closed sunday

That sucks!