• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heroes Con 2014 - Wally World Style!

31 posts in this topic

Wow, what a wild ride this year was!

On the drive down I witnessed a classic - Redneck towtruck baby!

One Strap'll due ya - Woot!

148175.jpg

I must say this roller coaster was on full throttle ever since I stepped foot on the con floor Thursday night.

One of the best stories ensued when I did so here goes nothing:

I tried to make a deal with Richie Muchin from Tomorrow's Treasures and I felt I was haggling with a Carnival Barker! Prior to this deal I had a friend give me the heads-up that he was a wild one. Luckily I didn't really care about the books I was trying to get (and they were only in midgrade) or it would of been really strange. First when I got him to add up the books he gave me his best price right out the gate and didn't tell me that. So I went to haggling for the best deal. Fortunately we were both sitting down because what happen next was a trip - he didn't seem too thrilled that I wouldn't stop haggling so he started to add up the books by slapping them on the show room floor saying "$100, $200, $300 etc." as he was trying to drill home the price he can get for these through the con, so I better take 'em at the original price. I found this funny as hell! So, hell yeah, I kept on haggling...

What happen next was priceless, he took this crazy deal to Monte Carlo while he pulled out a coin and asked me to "call it" for his price and my offer. I called it and won - Even if I would've lost and paid the $50 difference this was unforgettable and a riot! I got a SA Supes, TOA 49, Avg 28 and Dr. Strange 1 for a solid price. I knew he did what he did many times over because all of this was well rehearsed. When he was slapping those books every time was flat and no edges hit... hilarious! I told this story to Tupenny on Sat and he was laughing so hard he was crying!

Anyway - Onward!

148176.jpg

The Westin gave us the run around a few months ago so we decided to change up to the Hilton. Here's a pop of the clock fountain out front.

Beer-n-Books as usual in the Wally/Tsp99 show, and speaking of beer, one of the best finds of the show was this beautiful Red IPA G'Knight!

148179.jpg

Shelton did another great job and I must say I was amused by the free Spidey jump house for the kids...

148180.jpg

More beer, funny books and tales of floor slappin' goodness that leaves even Brock (Columbia Comics) stunned!

148205.jpg

The Hero of the con floor goes to Brian Parnes. That guy is a monster! Every time I saw him he had a stack of 50 hot books leaving the spot I was just told about. Ninja skills my friend - Congrats!

I worked the floor and had great deals, but one really struck home. There was a collection that came from West VA that really got me thinking. An older collector passed in his sleep with his AF 15 on his night stand and had a smoking collection. I can just imagine he knew it was coming and he wanted to read his grail one more time. These books were beautiful and priced to move.

I talked with a few buds about this and it does strike home. I guess in all honesty "we are just borrowing these books and taking care of them for the next generation to enjoy them."

I got a redonkulous deal and the books were so cherry I went back for a mop up on Sunday...

The Friday night Boards Dinner was special, but the Black Finn made me work for it. It all worked out in the end, but it was a scary situation at first when they tried to set us outside with no over fans and not enough chairs to seat everyone. So they quickly set up a private bar room for us upstairs and we all fit into there.

Here are the fine boardees and their families:

148204.jpg

148201.jpg

148202.jpg

148203.jpg

Unfortunately, I must apologize the photo of the last table got garbled (if someone took a pic please post). The table included Daniel (from Capt_Comics), Jonathon, Brock (Columbia Comics with wife) JustRyan (with wife).

Anyway, we did the best we could and had a blast!

Afterwards we had more beer and comics:

Here is Jesse (Ashsaytr) getting ready to flip through a Tec 45 (first Joker in tec).

I swear Jesse's posture reminded me of the Game of Thrones Daario Naharis sword holding contest!

148178.jpg

And now it's time for the haul!

But before you do that, press play on this to set the tone for the first show that I really went after more GA and loved it!!! ( I used to strictly only be BA with a sprinkling of late SA)

148183.jpg

WOOT!

148194.jpg

148195.jpg

148196.jpg

I love this Kirby/FF cover and since it was white I said what the heck!

148197.jpg

The Rangers Fiction House series is way underrated!

148184.jpg

And lastly, I picked up a sweet early black cover bats from a friend off of a trade...

148185.jpg

The cherry on top was to have a beautiful raw and read the story of the first costumed cat woman from bats 3!

148186.jpg

148187.jpg

Just friggin' awesome!

END!

148188.jpg

:cloud9::cloud9::cloud9:

Thanks for the wrap-up! Great haul! That Bat 155 looks amazing. I would have been white knuckle driving with that crazy person with the car in the box truck... Holy that looks unsafe.

will there be a youtube video this year?

unfortunately not, the video was always shot on the night of the dinner.

This year the dinner ran so late because of the razzle dazzle scramble at the restaurant that hardly any boardees showed up to the room.

I may just shoot a video snippet of my haul for the show and some of the weird and wacky pick-ups for the year. One of the things that always is missing from those videos is me. Maybe I can do that as a filler.

concerning the AF 15 do you mean western Virgina or the state West Virginia, as there is a big difference and no I don't need to hear about some joke conerning lack of shoes to distinguish the two

It was WV (the state) right outside of Morgantown. The collection was picked up by ComiCase (out of Clarksburg).

I know the Morgantown area a little bit because I've traveled for college football games to Marshall. They got some real laid back folks up there. Their hall-of-fame bar was worth the price of the trip by itself.

We may not have much in the way of anything at all(well besides nature) but if you look you can find some nice things here as the spiderman book can attest to

His collection in general was outta sight. I must say he really must have not loved the SA Hulks he had because those were insanely HG. I did buy some of those and yes they're not revealed here, because they're "secret pick ups" that I'm trying to keep under wraps before they blow up. Just like the Avengers 28's and the Hulk 271's of the world you gotta pre-speculate and horde before they get hot to do the best. Those Hulks were 9.4's and gasp 9.6's!!!

If you ever get to a chance, sample "Old Chubb" from this brewery - expensive but worth it. I haven't seen any in several years, but hoping I'll run into it again some day. :cloud9:

Beer-n-Books as usual in the Wally/Tsp99 show, and speaking of beer, one of the best finds of the show was this beautiful Red IPA G'Knight!

148179.jpg

I talked to Brian at Cavalier Comics.

So it seems that the earliest keys were sold through Clink, slabbed. They did really well at the show and most of the secondary keys have now sold as well as some of the runs. They still have lots of partial runs available.

(thumbs u

Can't believe I missed Charles Bond though. Been dealing with Charles for years.

If this is the collection, Charles and Brian have had this for awhile. Guess they either just got some of the books back from grading, or waited to bring them out

I snagged the FF #65 out of it earlier in the year

Was there another collection from WV?