• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Slabbing for preservation???

79 posts in this topic

Thanks for that answer Ze-Man. For some reason I liked yours more than the others.

Interesting. You should consider why you feel that way.

So, if you guys are so against have CGC slab comics, why are you all posting on their message boards? wink.gif

We all started out as fans of CGC... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Slabbing = Selling confused-smiley-013.gif

So, if you guys are so against have CGC slab comics, why are you all posting on their message boards? wink.gif

For the stimulating and informative comics talk. If you know of a better board with the accumulated knowledge and insight on comics as this one, please share...

Jim

The books I may have graded don't have the usual dings that most of my modern books have. I made sure of that. Few have survived very well and would be solid 9.6's according to my local dealer.

If you want to showcase some of your books in CGC slabs and like the product, I'd go ahead and submit a few.

I've slabbed about 40 books for my personal collection over the last year or so, and have been happy with the results.

Although...every once in a while I do get the urge to crack them all out and put them back in their Mylars. cloud9.gif

If you're not sure about your grading, see if you can get your LCS to include some of your picks with a 9.6 pre-screen. thumbsup2.gif

As for preservation alone....I don't feel that the CGC slab does a better job than a Mylar and a Full-back. For an additional $2 or less...you can buy Top Loaders (hard plastic sleeves) to place the Mylar in. This will prevent the book from being bent.

Sure. Some of the books I'm considering are

ASM 361

Avengers Annual 10

Uncanny 266

Wolverine Vol. 1 (or 2, depending if you count the mini as 1) #10

They've been quoted to me as solid 9.6's. Sorry, don't have scans.

Also have some variants, like the Ultimates 2 sketch cover that are possibilities. Again, I'm not looking to slab them for resales.

I'd recommend just sending 5 or 6 books at first via Metropolis Comics or some other company that gives you a 20% discount. Also, check the books with a magnifying glass for creases before sending. If you purchased these books at $1.50 a piece, plus $15 grading per each book, and $15 shipping and insurance(that's about $80). Assuming that that CGC is a harsher grader than your LCS owner and you receive 9.4's on all of them, then their total net worth would be around $90-$100. If you get lucky and receive 9.6's on all these books, then their net worth would be around $170-$180 (not bad). However, if they average around 9.2, then you're looking at a $20 loss in the process.

But... it's not as if you're spending a fortune on grading those books either. Moderns are relatively cheap to slab, so if you like the product, the way it looks, you'll probably find that your comics will hold up just find within a CGC case, and they will certainly display very, very nicely.

My thoughts exactly. It's only what, $15 to slab a modern? And they are definitely less liable to be accidently bent in half by some freak comic accident. Right?

You'll have to excuse the forum guard for the abrasiveness - the CGC pedestal has taken a slight beating lately. So here is my opinion.

You have moderns X-men 266, maybe ASM 300 etc that you are looking to preserve for the long term and you are wondering if the CGC holder is the best way to go. Ok lets deal with the concept of best. Best from a protection stand point alone, or best from a protection to cost standpoint.

From a protection to cost standpoint for the modern books I assume you have. A 4" Mylar snug and a full back are tough to beat. FD thinks that Shaken Comics Syndrome is overblown - lets assume he's right. It's still a possibility. So for ultimate protection using a CGC holder for moderns entails the following. Shipping from you to CGC (possibility of damage) - shipping from CGC to you in slab (possibility of SCS). Changing the paper every 7 years (shipping both ways) again risks of damage. I f you are not handling the Comics then Snugs are definitely the way to go. If you actually live in Florida, then the CGC case becomes much better. You can pick up your books and I think the slab would probably hold up better to a hurricane.

From a cost to protection standpoint for the preservation of modern books the Mylar snug is even that much better. A lot of collectors would call putting moderns in 4" Snugs with fullbacks overkill. For the cost of slabbing 5 moderns you could probably put 100-200 comics in Mylars with fullbacks depending on the brand and place you purchase from.

Point is, for preservation of a modern comic (not 4 sale) I can't see how the advanatges of the CGC holder come anywhere near a 4" Mylar and a Fulback. Remember this method of preservation has been tried and tested for 20 years, verses the 5 years of slabbing. Even if you discount slab damage and the issues with the microchamber paper - the Mylar fullback combo is still more appealing unless all you have are say 3-5 books.

Hope this helps.

So basically what everyone is saying is this:

-- It's not worth it to slab. Because even if you NEVER really move the slabs around, and the book remains stationary inside the slab, this micro paper could potentially harm the book after a period of time??

How did you get that from what everyone has said?

Okay, so one more question. When it comes to bags and boards, do most of you use modern sized for modern comics? Or silver/golden age sized to keep the corners away from the edges of the bags?

I don't think you know what Mylars are, do you? They aren't polybags, they're a different beast entirely.

Slabbing modern books is probably not the way to go, but if you purchase some of the more pricey books on your want list in high grade, certification is the way to go.

As for the SCS, I'll say this as someone who has personally encountered it twice: it seems to be a phenomenon, at least in my experience, limited to the older well and case design. I could be wrong, but I haven't seen it affect books with the newer label.

Actually, I have seen SCS. I have a "9.8" Astonishing X-Men 4 that I purchased from Wizard. I basically just wanted to check out the who slabbing deal. And one corner is pretty banged up, definitely not in 9.8 condition. I now know that this is probably due to SCS during shipping.

this micro paper could potentially harm the book after a period of time??

I don't think so, it just losses it's effectiveness after a period of time (CGC is guessing seven years, they don't really know themselves).

So, if the paper isn't going to hurt the comic by staying in there with the book for years and years, then whats wrong with keeping a book slabbed for decades? I've never put this paper in with my bagged comics, and they are for the most part just fine without it.

See my point here? There would be no real reason to have to send it in to get re-slabbed. makepoint.gif

Well no [#@$%!!!]. Your starting to catch on. If you're not selling the books then there's no real reason to slab them. Get it?

Old Guy. Again, I'm new to this grading idea, even if it has been around for a while, but I've been out of the comics industry for a decade.

I thought I'd grade and slab some books now, while it's affordable to do so for the modern books. Then hold on to them. Lets say I wanted to sell them in 40 years, kept them in the same shape they are now (knock on wood), then wanted to slab them for resale, it might cost a helluva lot more wouldn't it?

Buy your bags and boards from http://www.egerber.com and get them one size bigger then the books that are going in them. I use Mylites2's with half or fullbacks for books that I want to offer better protection to. I think it was Z that suggested using a Mylites2 with a fullback and putting it in a 4mil Mylar. I'd have to go along with that as just about the best protection you can have.