• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC's Fundamental problem...

108 posts in this topic

Ben Grimm and Reed Richards are arguing over the loss of Ben's humanity - meanwhile, in the DC universe Superman is humiliating Lois Lane into getting spanked by a robot while Batman is keeping a teenage boy up all night.

Ben Grimm and Reed Richards are arguing over the loss of Ben's humanity - meanwhile, in the DC universe Superman is humiliating Lois Lane into getting spanked by a robot while Batman is keeping a teenage boy up all night.

and you're spending all your time with your hands on a Giant Sized Man-Thing?

lol

Gotta love those Marvels.

But seriously, to act like only Marvel has the good writers and artists while DC is lost would be dismissing some years of and events that made DC just as enjoyable as Marvel.

I'd put Crisis On Infinite Earths over Secret Wars every time. New Teen Titans over New Mutants for pretty much most of the 1980's and 1990's series run. Saga of the Swamp Thing over his counter, Man-Thing, any time.

That doesn't mean I don't appreciate my Marvel books too. Uncanny X-Men after you get past the Silver Age, Amazing Spider-Man pretty much throughout, and some runs of Daredevil, Conan, Avengers, X-Factor, Fantastic Four and even oddball books from time to time.

Why hate on one company to boost another? Each have their winners and losers.

If you've got it ...

If you've got it ...

...then you've paid by the hour.

They were probably arguing over Ben being called "The Thing" instead of "Bennstro Grimmgarr, the radically fresh orange monstery-guy!!"

orangeguy.jpg

Presently I prefer DC over Marvel. I don't understand why Marvel sales are so high. The DC artists are better. I can't make heads or tails of the plot line in any X-title.

I would read Batman and JL over ASM anyday right now.

I am not sure what the article is driving at. Do people copy each other's work to achieve the same success? Yes all the time. Marvel and DC both did it.

Now if you could give me an explanation as to how Marvel keeps their market share higher than everyone else's, I'd like to hear it, but the product itself isn't better in my opinion. my 2c

Now if you could give me an explanation as to how Marvel keeps their market share higher than everyone else's, I'd like to hear it, but the product itself isn't better in my opinion. my 2c

New #1s via solo series, Deadpool minis, and continuous relaunches of their titles.......

And what a striking comparison to take DC's top book and put it next to FF1, both with November 1961 covers dates!

ac042_zps1841a64e.jpg

It's fun to set Mike's Newstand Time Machine to "all publishers" Nov. 1961 and see what FF#1 was really up against.

I tried to imagine parent's handing me enough allowance to buy every comic offered, how long would it take for me to select FF#1? Then I tried to imagine how old a kid you'd have to be in 1961 to've picked FF#1 first?

I'd of been all over that Death of Superman, and Sea Devils, and that Shocked Robin and the Purple People Eater?, oh hell yeah. Maybe some Flintstones.

I might've gotten to FF#1 eventually, but probably would've wandered over to the Aurora kits with that many dimes to blow.

I held a Fantastic Four #1 when I was 10 years old. A fellow at a flea market was selling comics, and he had FF #1 and Conan #1 on the wall. I had money for one book, so I took the Conan #1.

I held a Fantastic Four #1 when I was 10 years old. A fellow at a flea market was selling comics, and he had FF #1 and Conan #1 on the wall. I had money for one book, so I took the Conan #1.

I think most 10 year olds would. And realistically, with no fore knowledge of either one, I'd probably pick Conan today. :grin:

FF#1 is classic and all that. But look at it. The cover's kind of a mess with little appeal.

There's a some fiery guy. Well, ok, a kid can tie a towel around their neck to play. But set yourself on fire? He's boring. Orange man? Whatever. And a big-mouth monster street scene. Yawn.

At least Conan has a sword, spear, and looks like Tarzan with horns. Looks like somebody who could drop-kick fiery guy into a jungle waterfall, whoever he his. And for a few cents? Best of the two, any day of the week.

So in 1961, Kirby and Lee take a gamble and put out Fantastic Four #1, a new kind of superhero comic…

Marvel and DC’s November 1961 offerings. Superman’s toughest day doesn't seem all that tough by comparison.

…and people Lose. Their. S---.

lol

What a great article! Thanks for sharing! (thumbs u

I think most 10 year olds would. And realistically, with no fore knowledge of either one, I'd probably pick Conan today. :grin:

FF#1 is classic and all that. But look at it. The cover's kind of a mess with little appeal.

There's a some fiery guy. Well, ok, a kid can tie a towel around their neck to play. But set yourself on fire? He's boring. Orange man? Whatever. And a big-mouth monster street scene. Yawn.

I generally wasn't allowed to have Marvel Comics when I was a little kid in the early '70s because my mom--who read comics back in the '30s and '40s--thought they were ugly and didn't recognize most of the characters...which, among other things, is precisely what made them so appealing and attractive to me at that age.

I bet there are more than a few (former) 10 year-olds out there who may have had a completely opposite reaction from yours to the early Marvel hero books...

It's fun to set Mike's Newstand Time Machine to "all publishers" Nov. 1961 and see what FF#1 was really up against.

icon_eek_zps6898818c.gif THAT. SITE. IS. AWSOME!

I am shocked to say that after trying to put myself in the mindset of a 10 year old with no foresight of collectibility, that my first choice on that page is Gunsmoke Western and second is Peanuts simply because I already knew and loved Snoop by that point. FF might be a third choice…or fifth…

lol