• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ultimate Comic Book "BOOK" Review

10 posts in this topic

Hi Folks,

I thought this might be a good place/idea for an on-going thread for books written about comics. Post your reviews of books you've read about comics here!

My first choice would be Steranko's "History of the Comics", volume # 1.

This came out in 1970. Before this book, most comic book-'books" were some slight comentary about comics with reprints of those comics. The Steranko History of the Comics was the first in-depth look at comics as a media with insight to thier beginings, not to mention the first detailed look at their Grand-Parents: The Pulp Magazines.

Many books have come out since but, and I can only tell you from my own expirence ( I was fourteen at the time), this book opened my eyes to our hobby. While it's not perfect, and there are some mistakes, reading this book will leave you with a sense of wonder & appreciation for comics and our hobby!

Please feel free to suggest books you've found to be informative, entertaining and enlightning to others who appreciate the medium. hi.gif

Enjoy!

For lots of great reprints in color ( taken from scans of the original comics!)- The Smithsonian Book of Comic-Book Comics can't be beat. Worth buying for the reprints of Sheldon Meyer's Scribbly/Red Tornado story arc from All-American alone!

1. The Warren Reader

2. A History of Mad (I believe that's the title; yellow cover, published in the 1990s, square shape [packed away so I can't get to it!])

3. Excelsior by Stan Lee

4. Photo Journal of Comics

5. Berni Wrightson: A Look Back

6. The Merchant of Dennis by Hank Ketcham

All very informative books that focus on one aspect of comics successfully, not necessarily a general overview of the medium.

- 'The Great Comic Book Heroes' by Jules Feiffer: his recollections of being a kid growing up in the golden age -- including aged samples of his original comic work -- were inspiring to a wannabe cartoonist.

- And ditto on Steranko. I can still picture the gorgeous full-page reproductions of Sky Wolf, Uncle Sam, Mary Marvel, etc. And the tragic tale of Jack Cole.

Aaron

Two books that haven't been mentioned yet:

The Comic Book Heroes : The First History of Modern Comic Books - From the Silver Age to the Present by Gerard Jones and Will Jacobs

1418042.gif

Men of Tomorrow: Geeks, Gangsters and the Birth of the Comic Book by Gerard Jones

0465036562.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Thanks, Comicbookman.

I just discovered this site and have wast -- er, spent -- so much time browsing all the great info and gorgeous covers...

I collect a hodgepodge but focus on Dell, Gold Key, Dennis the Menace, and anything quirky and, yes, cheap!

Aaron

I'm a huge Dennis the Menace fan. I posted the Hawaii issue on the thread about grails and the first Christmas giant from 1955 on the Christmas covers thread. I am thinking of starting a Dennis the Menace thread when I get the chance and put the first ten of each in high grade up.