• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fair trading in this hobby?

27 posts in this topic

I once offered to trade my boat for comic books, on this site. It was a 20 foot, open bow, 140 horse power outboard. Only used ten days in six years, with no problems and no repairs of any kind necessary..

I was willing to take a huge loss on the boat, as I was just tired of storing and doing routine maintenance on it.

But no offers of any kind came forth.

Trading is tough to do, unless it is a close buddy.

P.S. Last year, I gave the boat to my oldest son, who is in Florida.

I've made many trades on these boards, including a large-ish one just last week. It's not that hard. If I have books I don't want to make part of a trade then I don't offer them up. I am also willing to accept a book or two in trade back that I may be less enamored with in order to make the larger deal work. I think the trick is taking the emotion out of it. In the end, they're just comics.

I had my first trade this week with someone from Canada. Both books are of equal value and we both paid our own shipping. I randomly initiated the trade and the entire deal took less than 4 messages to complete.

I thought we were going to talk about fair trade comics like fair trade coffee.

Does a dealer pay his employees a living wage?

Does he employ "interns" for overly long periods?

Does he purchase comics from widows at prices well below market value.

Does he claim to do a lot for the community while doing a lot for himself?

Does he trim books or otherwise restore them surreptitiously to improve the grade in the short term?