• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chicago Comic Con dinner Saturday August 23rd @ 8 PM

102 posts in this topic

This was the first time I have attended in a few years. I forgot how much fun they could be. Hanging out with friends, good food and Neal Adams being a guest made for a great evening.

I heard through a friend that Steve B was left holding a huge tab (again). I don't understand how this happens so often. I also don't know why Borock ends up paying it every time, except that I guess he closes down the party, and he is gracious enough to do it.

You guys should really make some sort of adjustment. Its not right that anyone should have to pay $800 to settle a tab for 50 people.

Was not aware of this. I know we collected all the money from everyone at our table, but cannot say the same for the other tables.

Looks like it is time to take up a collection to help Steve get reimbursed.

All money was collected from our table too.

People had to buy drinks from the bar separately.

I think its because he keeps offering to buy people drinks.

Shots keep the bar bill high.

When the bar was closing for the night I did hear him offer the barman $100 to keep it open longer but I don't think they took him up on the offer.

This was the first time I have attended in a few years. I forgot how much fun they could be. Hanging out with friends, good food and Neal Adams being a guest made for a great evening.

I heard through a friend that Steve B was left holding a huge tab (again). I don't understand how this happens so often. I also don't know why Borock ends up paying it every time, except that I guess he closes down the party, and he is gracious enough to do it.

You guys should really make some sort of adjustment. Its not right that anyone should have to pay $800 to settle a tab for 50 people.

Was not aware of this. I know we collected all the money from everyone at our table, but cannot say the same for the other tables.

I heard this second hand, so someone might want to confirm. I just hate when this type of thing happens. It happened several years ago at San Diego as well.

Maybe you guys should try somewhere like Giordanos where everyone could pay for what they order.

I am betting a lot of it was tip.

I heard this second hand, so someone might want to confirm. I just hate when this type of thing happens. It happened several years ago at San Diego as well.

Maybe you guys should try somewhere like Giordanos where everyone could pay for what they order.

:cloud9: Giordanos

I'll ask Steve about it today.

Most of it was the tip, but not all of it. What happens is that for several years a flat rate of $75 per person has been charged and this has not accounted for inflation. Not only have the prices of Gibsons gone up, but the $75 does not include the built in 20% gratuity or sales tax. The only way to make it fair is to charge more per person ( my wife ran the numbers and I believe it was $95 per person ), but there has been resistance to do this. I suggested this to Steve the last two years but he's afraid if the charge is too high that not as many people will want to go.

Personally I wouldn't mind paying $100 per person for the dinner, it's expensive, but it's not like Gibsons is cheap to begin with. The bottom line is, if we don't raise the rate per person, someone is always going to be left holding the bag.

Also, in case anyone was wondering, between myself, Angelo and Brad, ALL the money was collected, so no one skipped out without paying.

Most of it was the tip, but not all of it. What happens is that for several years a flat rate of $75 per person has been charged and this has not accounted for inflation. Not only have the prices of Gibsons gone up, but the $75 does not include the built in 20% gratuity or sales tax. The only way to make it fair is to charge more per person ( my wife ran the numbers and I believe it was $95 per person ), but there has been resistance to do this. I suggested this to Steve the last two years but he's afraid if the charge is too high that not as many people will want to go.

Personally I wouldn't mind paying $100 per person for the dinner, it's expensive, but it's not like Gibsons is cheap to begin with. The bottom line is, if we don't raise the rate per person, someone is always going to be left holding the bag.

Also, in case anyone was wondering, between myself, Angelo and Brad, ALL the money was collected, so no one skipped out without paying.

That's good to hear. Thanks to you three for doing it. It has to be a pain in the tuchus.

As I mentioned at the dinner, I have no issue with paying more to help avoid this situation in the future. The other reason his bill was what it was is he paid for the dinner of several of the super guests to enhance the experience for us all. Thanks be to the man for enticing them to join us.

As I mentioned at the dinner, I have no issue with paying more to help avoid this situation in the future. The other reason his bill was what it was is he paid for the dinner of several of the super guests to enhance the experience for us all. Thanks be to the man for enticing them to join us.

He knew he was paying for them so that was not a surprise. The surprise was that even at $75 per head we were still around 1G short.

He knew he was paying for them so that was not a surprise. The surprise was that even at $75 per head we were still around 1G short.

Yep. I think there's no way around going to $100, which is still a good deal for Gibson's and the luxury of having our own private room, bar and patio. Don't think you would find many or any that would change their mind about attending. Whatever it takes to keep this great tradition alive without sticking someone with an unexpected bill, I'm down.

Yep. I think there's no way around going to $100, which is still a good deal for Gibson's and the luxury of having our own private room, bar and patio. Don't think you would find many or any that would change their mind about attending. Whatever it takes to keep this great tradition alive without sticking someone with an unexpected bill, I'm down.

I'd be in at the $100 price. Heck it's almost worth that just to fondle Winn's Action 1. lol

I'd be in at the $100 price. Heck it's almost worth that just to fondle Winn's Action 1. lol

^^

Thanks again for the efforts in putting this great event together! Certainly a highlight of the show without a shadow of a doubt. When else do you get to get your hands on Action 1, Marvel Comics 1, Superman 1, etc, etc while hanging out with Neal Adams, Maggie Thompson, Gary Calubuono, etc, etc, etc. Oh yeah, there was steak and booze too!

Looking forward to next year!

It was great meeting and chatting, albeit briefly, with you, Steve (thumbs u

if there is a list of people to contact when the next dinner is scheduled, I'd love to be on it. Someone PM me if that is the case. Thanks

All you have to do is check back in the Events section in August of next year and there'll be a thread for that year's forum dinner. Post that you want to attend and it's done. Easy-peasy

Good people and good food. Glad I got to finally make it to one of these and get a chance to meet people I've been friends with for years. Thanks go out to Angelo for putting this together. We had a fantastic time and can't wait to do it again. :applause:

It was my pleasure to help put this together and meet folks like you and your wife. Looking forward to doing it again next year

^^

There's a core group of us that would in at that price, but it may be out of the budget for many others. It's a fine line in trying to keep the dinner relatively affordable and not having a gaping shortfall. We need to find that middle ground

if there is a list of people to contact when the next dinner is scheduled, I'd love to be on it. Someone PM me if that is the case. Thanks

All you have to do is check back in the Events section in August of next year and there'll be a thread for that year's forum Chicago Comic-Con dinner. Post that you want to attend and it's done. Easy-peasy

:)

All you have to do is check back in the Events section in August of next year and there'll be a thread for that year's forum Chicago Comic-Con dinner. Post that you want to attend and it's done. Easy-peasy

:)

Right. Force of habit

I am sorry I missed the opportunity to increase the arrearage.

+1

Maybe next year.

You'll never come again and even if you did, Ellen's passed the cute stage.