• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World Des Moines -- June 12-14, 2015

33 posts in this topic

I just don't see Des Moines drawing in enough people to warrant a 3-day show in June, no less.

Think about it -- not only are you paying ridiculous prices for tables, but a 3-day show means 2 (or 3) nights at a hotel, 3 days of buying food, 3 days of paying employees, 3 days of parking, etc... For what? How much are you expecting to make in 3 days in Iowa?

I just don't see Des Moines drawing in enough people to warrant a 3-day show in June, no less.

Think about it -- not only are you paying ridiculous prices for tables, but a 3-day show means 2 (or 3) nights at a hotel, 3 days of buying food, 3 days of paying employees, 3 days of parking, etc... For what? How much are you expecting to make in 3 days in Iowa?

Wizard is clearly taking a shot that there are enough people in middle America to make a show viable for them in terms of ticket sales. Mind you, this is completely different than being viable for the dealers who'd do this show (which I suspect are few in number). Getting cosplayers to come and walk around, or Mom and Dad to bring the kids to wander around and get their face painted, sure. But getting a comic show in Des Moines that's going to be worth the $30 per day or $60 weekend pass is going to be a long shot. If you're a comic buyer make the drive to Chicago.

This isn't rocket science. Put a spot on the map take your compass and draw a circle that's 150 mile radius, do a population count. What number do you need to draw, who are you competing against, what's the convention rent. Will local tv give you free advertising, will local chamber of commerce welcome you with open arms. Then go for it.