• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Game of Thrones 1st edition...

8 posts in this topic

This is non comic related, I couldn't find a forum for books so I thought I'd ask here. A guy I know is selling a first edition us game of thrones book. I tried looking for a print size but couldn't find anything. I'm a big fan of the show and this book is intriguing, but is there any potential for the book growing in great value over the years? I checked Ebay, and I could find lord of the rings 1st edition books going for a 1000 bucks. Not much for what I consider some of the most popular and important books in literature. But then I saw some people were selling one harry potter book for around $1000 1st edition. So what's the deal?

There's no chance you could pick up a 1st UK edition, 1st impression of any books from the Lord of the Rings trilogy for $1000.

I'm assuming you're looking at auctions like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Lord-Of-The-Rings-Trilogy-First-Editions-JRR-Tolkien-Allan-Unwin-1956-/390874290332

That's a fifth impression of the 1st UK edition, published 2 years later than the 1st impressions.

Here's a beautiful 1st UK edition, 1st impression set for $50k :cloud9:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/J-R-R-TOLKIEN-The-Lord-of-the-Rings-Trilogy-FIRST-EDITION-SET-OF-3-/121027144640

Anyway ... I'd be very wary about speculating in the book market unless you're 100% sure what you're doing - it's much more volatile than comic books due to the number of reprints and re-releases involved.

There's no chance you could pick up a 1st UK edition, 1st impression of any books from the Lord of the Rings trilogy for $1000.

I'm assuming you're looking at auctions like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Lord-Of-The-Rings-Trilogy-First-Editions-JRR-Tolkien-Allan-Unwin-1956-/390874290332

That's a fifth impression of the 1st UK edition, published 2 years later than the 1st impressions.

Anyway ... I'd be very wary about speculating in the book market unless you're 100% sure what you're doing - it's much more volatile than comic books due to the number of reprints and re-releases involved.

Yeah that's the one I saw. I don't really delve too much in the books game. But game of thrones just feels so special to me, it really is one of those books that will be forever considered a classic and one I'm sure will stand the test of time, even without the help of the tv show the books were highly and critically regarded as beings one of the best in the genre. This is what makes me consider the purchase seriously.

I've collected vintage books, with a speculative fiction bent, for about 20 years.

That price for 1st edition of Game Of Thrones is not special. Game of Thrones was a pretty standard release, and if I were still looking I'd stay on the UK side if looking for value due to the smaller print run on the Harper/Voyager side. There''s not a lack of supply of that American copy, which is a good thing if you just want a copy.

The Meisha Merlin copy always gets attention, though it's not a first print, but a limited run by a specialty publisher. This is where you will find the beautiful Jeff Jones covers and accompanying art.

I don't think anyone is selling a true 1st edition of Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone for $1k, and if they are they can send them to me. I will pay for it and add a extra $3k finders fee. I will buy that all day at that price. There were only 500 of those printed by Bloomsbury, it's a (not low) 5 figures book.