• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Books with a strong Original Artwork content

86 posts in this topic

hampson13.jpg

The left hand side shows an original used for a 1973 Dr Who magazine, featuring Jon Pertwee as the Doctor, Jo Grant as his assistant and old enemies, the Daleks.

The right hand side shows a page from Hampson's serialization of, The Road of Courage (the story of Jesus of Nazareth).

hampson15-1.jpg

Hampson was the very first artist to be considered for the long-running Modesty Blaise newspaper strip.

He didn't land the gig, as the writer, Peter O'Donnell, pushed to have Hampson replaced by Jim Holdaway (who had worked closely with O'Donnell on a previous strip called Romeo Brown).

At one time I owned all of Hampson's surviving tryout strips (earliest MB artwork ever created). Now I'm left with the pencilled daily you see in the photograph) . . .

hampson15-1.jpg

Hampson was the very first artist to be considered for the long-running Modesty Blaise newspaper strip.

He didn't land the gig, as the writer, Peter O'Donnell, pushed to have Hampson replaced by Jim Holdaway (who had worked closely with O'Donnell on a previous strip called Romeo Brown).

At one time I owned all of Hampson's surviving tryout strips (earliest MB artwork ever created). Now I'm left with the pencilled daily you see in the photograph) . . .

Those are some beautiful pencils!

The Art of Ditko, by Craig Yoe (intro by the man, Stan), IDW Publishing 2009.

Nice hefty hardback comprising of 220 pages.

Mostly featuring reprint selections of the more obscure 1950s, 60s and 70s Ditko fantasy stories - many of which I'd not seen before.

There are essays on Ditko, by various professionals in the industry, interspersed with scans of original artwork - including the opening splash to Spider-man's debut appearance in AF # 15.

ditko1.jpg

Terry,

Thanks for showing the Frank Hampson book. I met Peter Crowther, one of the founders of PS Publishing, at the 2012 London Super Comic Con. Being from the US, I had heard of Dan Dare, but had never seen an original until Peter showed several to me. I purchased the wonderful Frank Hampson book at my LCS and started a small collection of Dan Dare strip reprint books.

I also love the Russ Heath book and will purchase the IDW reprint.

Yoe does excellent work on this book as he does on pretty much everything I've read of his. (thumbs u

The Art of Ditko, by Craig Yoe (intro by the man, Stan), IDW Publishing 2009.

Nice hefty hardback comprising of 220 pages.

Mostly featuring reprint selections of the more obscure 1950s, 60s and 70s Ditko fantasy stories - many of which I'd not seen before.

There are essays on Ditko, by various professionals in the industry, interspersed with scans of original artwork - including the opening splash to Spider-man's debut appearance in AF # 15.

ditko1.jpg

Thanks Terry for this and your generous help on the book! We're doing another Ditko book so please send me the cover we didn't use again to make sure I have it! Thanks AdamStrange--you've always been very encouraging! <3