• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Good Trade or Bad Trade?

27 posts in this topic

No prank, I'm a noob with limited knowledge. But I do get that it's a bad trade after reading everyone's opinion. I saw a BMA12 9.8 go as high as $1000, and a TOS39 1.5 go for the same.

It was bad timing for the one or two people who paid 1000 for a BA 12, but even that was over a year ago. In the interim the book has "corrected" significantly and is probably about a 550-600 book, and is more likely to be a 300 book in the next 12 months than to be a 750 book again anytime soon as 9.8's continue to flood the market.

Meanwhile tos39 is a bread and butter key in the hobby, with the marvel movie machine behind it.

Comparing the "value" of these books by using an extreme high of a bubble book like BA 12 to an extreme low of tos39 is not reasonable IMO.

-J.

What happens when HQ is the foil in a movie?

Are you saying it's not a first true appearance because she appeared in that kid's book that came with a tape perhaps before then (but isn't that unclear?)

Or not the first true app because it's her "cartoon" form and not the cool Alex Ross "comic" form?

I dunno, her first series in 2000 was borderline "cartoony"

Anyway, I'd keep the TOS 39 for all of the above reasons. Criminey I sold a raw copy that might have been a cgc 1.5 for around $700 and that was 7 or 8 years ago before the first movie.

No prank, I'm a noob with limited knowledge. But I do get that it's a bad trade after reading everyone's opinion. I saw a BMA12 9.8 go as high as $1000, and a TOS39 1.5 go for the same.

It was bad timing for the one or two people who paid 1000 for a BA 12, but even that was over a year ago. In the interim the book has "corrected" significantly and is probably about a 550-600 book, and is more likely to be a 300 book in the next 12 months than to be a 750 book again anytime soon as 9.8's continue to flood the market.

Meanwhile tos39 is a bread and butter key in the hobby, with the marvel movie machine behind it.

Comparing the "value" of these books by using an extreme high of a bubble book like BA 12 to an extreme low of tos39 is not reasonable IMO.

-J.

What happens when HQ is the foil in a movie?

Are you saying it's not a first true appearance because she appeared in that kid's book that came with a tape perhaps before then (but isn't that unclear?)

Or not the first true app because it's her "cartoon" form and not the cool Alex Ross "comic" form?

I dunno, her first series in 2000 was borderline "cartoony"

Anyway, I'd keep the TOS 39 for all of the above reasons. Criminey I sold a raw copy that might have been a cgc 1.5 for around $700 and that was 7 or 8 years ago before the first movie.

HQ, not lacking in the least in (over) exposure, has already been featured in at least two TV shows, not even counting the cartoons she has been in, is one of the most popular Halloween costume/cosplay characters, has her own comic book series that spins off multiple variants frequently, but.......

BA 12 is not a true first appearance of a comic book character. It's the first appearance of a cartoon character in a comic book that was later ret-conned into the DC universe. Well the CGC label says it all. BA 12 was the best book that dealers in the hobby could come up with as a "first appearance", and originally sold it as being "rare". Then when that was debunked they sold it as being rare "in grade". Now that that has been debunked, the book just is what it is- $500 or so in a 9.8, that is probably still overpriced even at that level IMO.

ToS 39 in those lower grades is not often seen for sale, and if it's decently presenting and complete, has a lot of room left to go up in value. And quite frankly, it's just a way, way cooler book to own.

-J.

-J.

^^

+1, horrible trade, good to have passed on.

Someone offered me a Batman Adv #12 9.8, for my TOS 39 1.5 (both graded blues). I said no, Is this a good trade, or bad trade?

Forget the price, in terms of investment you did ok because of two reasons:

1. Harley Quinn is a popular character but not an A+ character like Iron Man. Its like trading gold for silver .

2. I am not suscribed to CGC but if you are just look at the census .. How many TOS 39 and how many BA 12 ? You can get any day a BA 12 9.6 or 9.8

BA 12 is not a true first appearance of a comic book character. It's the first appearance of a cartoon character in a comic book that was later ret-conned into the DC universe.

------------

I'm not sure I buy into this and I don't have a horse in the race. Was the HQ in the Alex Ross HQ book a wise cracking clown? (I don't know, my copy was in such perfect shape I was afraid to open it and look inside...) Sure seems like the cartoon version of the character had a lot in common with the clowny version in HQs first series in 2000 when she was part of the DCU. Sure, now she's more of a dark psycho clown...

I just don't think universe/continuity should really matter when it comes to what is a "first". the book isn't rare, that's for sure, it is just as common as any second tier DC title of the era and it isn't gong to be any more beat up than those other second tier titles as well.

I'm not debating that TOS 39 was the keeper in this scenario, just whether HQ has nowhere to go but down from here after it took a step back from its earlier peak. If she's the villian or co-villian in a new Batman or other DC movie I could see interest perking up again. I understand she has plenty of exposure now to 9 year olds (and I guess anyone who was nine within the last 15 or so years who watched comic cartoons), comic nerds like us and cosplay weirdos, but this would open it up even more.

BA 12 is not a true first appearance of a comic book character. It's the first appearance of a cartoon character in a comic book that was later ret-conned into the DC universe.

------------

I'm not sure I buy into this and I don't have a horse in the race. Was the HQ in the Alex Ross HQ book a wise cracking clown? (I don't know, my copy was in such perfect shape I was afraid to open it and look inside...) Sure seems like the cartoon version of the character had a lot in common with the clowny version in HQs first series in 2000 when she was part of the DCU. Sure, now she's more of a dark psycho clown...

I just don't think universe/continuity should really matter when it comes to what is a "first". the book isn't rare, that's for sure, it is just as common as any second tier DC title of the era and it isn't gong to be any more beat up than those other second tier titles as well.

I'm not debating that TOS 39 was the keeper in this scenario, just whether HQ has nowhere to go but down from here after it took a step back from its earlier peak. If she's the villian or co-villian in a new Batman or other DC movie I could see interest perking up again. I understand she has plenty of exposure now to 9 year olds (and I guess anyone who was nine within the last 15 or so years who watched comic cartoons), comic nerds like us and cosplay weirdos, but this would open it up even more.

I'm not claiming to be a comic book "purist", I am a collector with an emphasis on first appearances and origin stories. I don't really put full runs together. So I am only speaking for myself when I say that the fact that BA 12 is not her first appearance causes me to have no interest in owning that book at any price point. It's the same reason I don't have a Transformers 1 or a GI Joe 1, and both of those have already been huge movies as well. HQ has had plenty of exposure, but she's still a third tier modern DC villain (not even a hero). All of these factors will hold this book back in the long run. The OP definitely made the right call on this one.

-J.

-J.

Now Superman Adventures #5 on the other hand.....