• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Process on getting a signature on a book already slabbed

7 posts in this topic

Hi!

I have a Daredevil #1 that is currently CGC graded/slabbed. I am thinking of opening it and having it signed by Stan at an upcoming convention. Curious how this process should work since the book is already graded. For example:

1) Should I leave the book in the slab and let the CGC break it out? Do they even do this?

2) If I break it out myself, is there a way to let the CGC know the original certification number so it can be "nulled"? Is this even important?

3) I assume once the book is broken out of the slab, then the CGC does not care about the original grade - even if they open it, correct?

thanks!

Jerry

1. CGC will not break your book out of a blue slab.

2. You can give your old slab to CGC if you choose to. Not too important, but could have registry impact.

3. You are correct.

My understanding is that if you crack it out of the slab yourself it should be in front of CGC so the first signature will still be considered valid.
I think the OP is speaking of a blue label, so not a problem if he cracks it. Otherwise, Stanley is correct if it's yellow label. It must be opened by or in the presence of, and 'retained' by a witness, or it loses the label.

Most people (not all) return the blue labels with the comics when they go to CGC for re-grade/signature series authentication. Per Revat, it's not required, but recommended for census maintenance.

2) If I break it out myself, is there a way to let the CGC know the original certification number so it can be "nulled"? Is this even important?

Return the old label with the cracked-out book - it won't have any bearing on the grade (the CGC graders won't know that it was previously slabbed), but it allows CGC to remove the book from the census :thumbsup:

Return the old label with the cracked-out book - it won't have any bearing on the grade (the CGC graders won't know that it was previously slabbed), but it allows CGC to remove the book from the census :thumbsup:

this and CGC won't care what it greaded before anyways as it's getting regraded......though it is always nice to have the census as correct as possible

Thanks for all of the advice! I broke the Daredevil out and got it signed in Chicago. I was told by many that CGC would not break open Universal slabs, but they were doing it for people in Chicago. I was glad I did mine myself though as I had the issue all prepared for getting the signature. Also, just got my grade back and it got the same as the original! :banana: