• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why Bother With Polls?

47 posts in this topic

I am not starting with a Poll. Am not ending with a poll. But am posting about polls. Mods - del this if you wish.

The mods here actually CAN determine who has made multiple votes in a poll but they have told me several times in PM it is not worth the work. OK - maybe they do not collect comic books or maybe they collect them but not very serisouly. Maybe they think this forum is kind of a joke where real information is just not worth seeking. So far, apart from maintaining the boards on a software level and striking people from an obvious political or obscenity level, the mods here have shown no real concern about seeking knowledge from other collectors via a poll. If they DID, they would take steps to insure that polls that accurately reflect a real vote.

SO - my question sans poll is:

Why Bother With Polls?

I am pretty sure the folks who have been here a while know that Polls as they stand now have no meaning. Yet we have topics dedicated to polls. And when the results start coming in, and when someone sends a PM to a mod and the reply is "well, yeah, we probably could determine multiple votes, but it is not worth it" then I have to wonder:

Why would we consider polls anything more than a comedy here?

Do you really believe that all the polls are being shill voted on?

There are obvious candidates, but I really don't think that most of the posters here would bother setting up shill accounts just to screw with the polls. confused-smiley-013.gif

Do you really believe that all the polls are being shill voted on?

There are obvious candidates, but I really don't think that most of the posters here would bother setting up shill accounts just to screw with the polls. confused-smiley-013.gif

Not sure where I said "All the polls" are being shilled. Did I say that? Did I say "All the polls"???

Yes, there ARE obvious candidates. And these are what I was referring to. And I have sent PMs to the mods here when a poll was obviously being shilled and always got back the same reply - "it is possible the poll is shilled but the time it would take to determine if it is being shilled is not worth it."

So the bottom line is - do polls and the ideas that motivate polls warrant accuracy? A simple idea but, to me, an often important one.

As far as people setting up shill accounts - I think they already have been setup by some. No need to go through the trouble of setting up - just log off/on.

So what do you really think, blowout? (BTW - have to respoect you and your posts but that got nothing to do with this! tongue.gifsmile.gif()

So what do you really think, blowout?

Of course, in an ideal world, it would be great to see a high level of acuracy in all the polls. Some of them have the potential to reveal interesting statistics from a fair cross-section of comic book collectors. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

But I can see where the mods are coming from also. It is pretty difficult to keep tabs on all that goes occurs on these forums and as long as the content remains somewhat comic related I can't see them stepping in to correct percieved statistical inacuracies.

I appreciate your stand on this Pov, but generally I think the polls usually end up as a harmless bit of fun, rather than any real basis for statistical analysis.

I can live with that.

I am not starting with a Poll. Am not ending with a poll. But am posting about polls. Mods - del this if you wish.

The mods here actually CAN determine who has made multiple votes in a poll but they have told me several times in PM it is not worth the work. OK - maybe they do not collect comic books or maybe they collect them but not very serisouly. Maybe they think this forum is kind of a joke where real information is just not worth seeking. So far, apart from maintaining the boards on a software level and striking people from an obvious political or obscenity level, the mods here have shown no real concern about seeking knowledge from other collectors via a poll. If they DID, they would take steps to insure that polls that accurately reflect a real vote.

SO - my question sans poll is:

Why Bother With Polls?

I am pretty sure the folks who have been here a while know that Polls as they stand now have no meaning. Yet we have topics dedicated to polls. And when the results start coming in, and when someone sends a PM to a mod and the reply is "well, yeah, we probably could determine multiple votes, but it is not worth it" then I have to wonder:

Why would we consider polls anything more than a comedy here?

I appreciate your stand on this Pov, but generally I think the polls usually end up as a harmless bit of fun, rather than any real basis for statistical analysis

Basically I tend to see it that way too. But these are not just some hobbyist's boards. These boards are sanctioned by CGC. And populated by a goodly amount of serious collectors. Not ALL serious collectors by any means, but sufficient to represent an intelligent view of the collecting comminity.

Lettuce accept your idea that the polls are a harmless bit of fun. Well, why even bother? We can have out own fun in other threads. But the mods require (not often enforced but the rules do require) a poll be used in the opening post. That itself should be sufficient to indicate the Poll thread has at least elementary rules associated with it. Yet the consistent refusal of poll verification makes the "has to have a poll" rule a sham.

Sorry - been here a long time now and finally am feeling the need to express counter-points to what I am seeing here.

I appreciate your stand on this Pov, but generally I think the polls usually end up as a harmless bit of fun, rather than any real basis for statistical analysis

Basically I tend to see it that way too. But these are not just some hobbyist's boards. These boards are sanctioned by CGC. And populated by a goodly amount of serious collectors. Not ALL serious collectors by any means, but sufficient to represent an intelligent view of the collecting comminity.

Lettuce accept your idea that the polls are a harmless bit of fun. Well, why even bother? We can have out own fun in other threads. But the mods require (not often enforced but the rules do require) a poll be used in the opening post. That itself should be sufficient to indicate the Poll thread has at least elementary rules associated with it. Yet the consistent refusal of poll verification makes the "has to have a poll" rule a sham.

Sorry - been here a long time now and finally am feeling the need to express counter-points to what I am seeing here.

WE LONG FOR YOU TO SHARE YOUR WISDOM WITH US POV.....GO FOR IT.....!!!!

MR. 11,000+ 27_laughing.gif

LETTUCE....FOR LET US......OH YOU ARE GOOD....
hail.gif

WE LONG FOR YOU TO SHARE YOUR WISDOM WITH US POV.....GO FOR IT.....!!!!

Errr - I think I just did? blush.gif

Pov- don't feel alone!!!

In my time here I have seen responses by what are OBVIOUS SHILL accounts......which certainly takes away from the integrity of the boards....what can WE do if the MODS aren't willing to take their job seriously.... confused-smiley-013.gif

Pov- don't feel alone!!!

In my time here I have seen responses by what are OBVIOUS SHILL accounts......which certainly takes away from the integrity of the boards....what can WE do if the MODS aren't willing to take their job seriously.... confused-smiley-013.gif

We can start poll type questions in the non-poll areas without polls. By gum and dagnabbit! I will do that this moment! You betcha! thumbsup2.gif

Pov- don't feel alone!!!

893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gifNo be very careful what you ask for or we could see the same thing that has people on CBG site PO.

DO NOT ASK FOR THAT AS IT IS OK HERE SO FAR . THE MODS HERE ARE WAY cool.gifthumbsup2.gif

Look at the Strike Record they take them down when they find them.

Pov- don't feel alone!!!

893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gifNo be very careful what you ask for or we could see the same thing that has people on CBG site PO.

DO NOT ASK FOR THAT AS IT IS OK HERE SO FAR . THE MODS HERE ARE WAY cool.gifthumbsup2.gif

Look at the Strick Record they take them down when they find them.

Pov- don't feel alone!!!

OK LOK YOU MADE YOUR POINT I CHANGED IT ....SO BACK OFF!!!!
27_laughing.gifmakepoint.gif

Pov- don't feel alone!!!

Look at the Strick Record they take them down when they find them.

Pov- don't feel alone!!!

Uh, Brain... what "did I ask for?" confused-smiley-013.gif

I didn't propose anything, I just was asking a question and expressing some frustration crazy.gif

I didn't propose anything, I just was asking a question and expressing some frustration crazy.gif

Don't even attempt to understand Brain's posts. You will just end up with a headache. smirk.gif

Pov- don't feel alone!!!

OK, sorry if i did not understand you, how would you do it better??

Don't even attempt to understand Brain's posts. You will just end up with a headache. smirk.gif

27_laughing.gifIT'S WORKING makepoint.gif893applaud-thumb.gifpoke2.gif