• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sold and Closed

61 posts in this topic

Wonder if it can be cracked/pressed and slipped past CGC and get a blue label? hm

If trimming is clearly noticeable (and it might be) even if very minimal one can tell it’s there. Personally I would not have any kind of problem with such a gorgeous book, maybe they even trimmed in a very minimal way the cover only, who knows?

Wonder if it can be cracked/pressed and slipped past CGC and get a blue label? hm

Book was pressed by Joey, not sure if he caught it or not, I didn't ask for him to check trimming or not to forward it to CGC if it was trimmed or purple.

I'm wondering though if it is possible for a Matt or Joey to remove, minimize or press out an edge to look like it had not been trimmed,or remove whatever trim indicators CGC might be using... besides an "opinion"

I'm wondering though if it is possible for a Matt or Joey to remove, minimize or press out an edge to look like it had not been trimmed,or remove whatever trim indicators CGC might be using... besides an "opinion"

The book is sold. Congrats. However, the question on whether the book can be manipulated to deceive the CGC graders scares me. We already have spine realignments, staple tear tucks, and numerous other questionable techniques going on. I would hope that ethics prevail and neither Matt nor Joey would even try to 'remove' a trim.

That kinda goes back to my original qurestion. Do the three CGC graders have to agree that the book has been trimmed or is it just one grader who earns the book the PLOD?

A restoration expert first reviews the book. The restoration person is not a grader. It is graded by three graders after the restoration check.

Here is the CGC website link that discusses it

http://www.cgccomics.com/grading/receiving.asp

And here is the relevant sentences

Before any grading is performed, each book is examined by a CGC restoration detection professional. If any form of restoration work is detected, this information is entered into the computer so that it will be available to the grading team.

The book is sold. Congrats. However, the question on whether the book can be manipulated to deceive the CGC graders scares me. We already have spine realignments, staple tear tucks, and numerous other questionable techniques going on. I would hope that ethics prevail and neither Matt nor Joey would even try to 'remove' a trim.

:facepalm:

+1 x 2.

There are already people who crack PLODs to resell the books as unrestored raws to add to those who are now considering somehow further manipulating restored books to try to get it past the CGC resto team. Ethics be damned!

Trimming has been discussed on various threads on the board but CGC are rightly mum about what they use to detect trimming (to avoid manipulators from trying to achieve new methods to avoid detection).

Are CGC 100% at detecting trimming? The jury is out from the various thread responses but they are still the de facto choice for grading so we might have to live with that.

PS: No offense meant to buyer of the book. There are plenty of people who buy nice presenting PLODs as an affordable way to owing keys.

Book was pressed by Joey, not sure if he caught it or not, I didn't ask for him to check trimming or not to forward it to CGC if it was trimmed or purple.

Thanks for showing the kinds of things that you believe would be "OK" to do to deliberately try to deceive CGC so that you could sell a trimmed book as untrimmed without giving a damn about the collector who will end up buying the book.

It's always good to know who shouldn't be trusted around here.

Thanks for showing the kinds of things that you believe would be "OK" to do to deliberately try to deceive CGC so that you could sell a trimmed book as untrimmed without giving a damn about the collector who will end up buying the book.

That's not what he said at all, but thanks for offering your agenda-driven opinion.

The fact is trimming has always been a bug-a-boo for CGC to detect; they've labeled untrimmed books as trimmed, only to reverse their opinion later when the book was resubbed, and they've missed trimming (and other resto) altogether in other cases. No one will disagree that getting shafted by buying a restored book with a universal label sucks, but what about submitting an unrestored book that's flagged as trimmed when you're sure it isn't? Isn't that just as bad?

That's not what he said at all, but thanks for offering your agenda-driven opinion.

The fact is trimming has always been a bug-a-boo for CGC to detect; they've labeled untrimmed books as trimmed, only to reverse their opinion later when the book was resubbed, and they've missed trimming (and other resto) altogether in other cases. No one will disagree that getting shafted by buying a restored book with a universal label sucks, but what about submitting an unrestored book that's flagged as trimmed when you're sure it isn't? Isn't that just as bad?

Amen brother. I always said that when it comes to trimming, with the stygma attached, "could be" isn't enough for a PLOD. The book in question is notorious for having different cuts. Sometimes the top of the stamp is almost missing with more cover showing at the bottom.... and vice versa. It's just not enough to compare it to another copy. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Agenda driven opinion? Could you tell me what my agenda is here please?

Oh, and I'm not saying that it isn't a crappy occurrence when when someone gets an unexpected PLOD and even more so if it's a mistake on CGC's part.

That isn't what this case is about, at least from my point of view, the seller was debating whether the edge could be pressed to "hide" the trimming from CGC. The book was already suspected as trimmed before he submitted it to CGC so I don't know why this has become about it being a mistake on CGC's part.

As a person who is licensed to drive many different agendas, I can say with certainty that Garry is one of the least agenda driven people on the boards. So, that statement really isn't applicable, accurate, or appropriate.

I can see both sides. As a collector, who you buy from is entirely your decision. If someone in this thread said something you deem unethical, and you never buy a book from them again, you are certainly entitled to do so. That said, I don't think there would be anything wrong with sending this to Matt for a pre-screen. CGC is great when it comes to being empathetic if you feel you have been wronged, and Matt could certainly shed some light on why they feel the book is trimmed. It certainly appears too close to call to this guy.

I can see both sides. As a collector, who you buy from is entirely your decision. If someone in this thread said something you deem unethical, and you never buy a book from them again, you are certainly entitled to do so. That said, I don't think there would be anything wrong with sending this to Matt for a pre-screen. CGC is great when it comes to being empathetic if you feel you have been wronged, and Matt could certainly shed some light on why they feel the book is trimmed. It certainly appears too close to call to this guy.

It only appears so because most of the newbies in this thread couldn't detect a trim job from a hole in the ground. There's no doubt whatsoever this book has been trimmed.

My intent has never been to deceive anyone thats why I had it slabbed to begin with before selling it here on the boards!

A couple of boardies were kind enough to point what they thought there was trimming. Was I disappointed when it returned a PLOD? Yes, was I surprised? A little, it looks great in hand.

I also noted in the PMG thread beforehand that if I sold it I always take back any book and if they had sent it in to CGC and received a PLOD I will always refund the book, all shipping and CGC fees!

When someone mentioned about pressing, and re-subbing, my question was if an experienced restorer like Matt or Joey could make a cut edge look like it was not, a purely hypothetical question. A question I don't know the answer to, it was as simple as that.

Where you get the idea that I'm "OK" to deliberately deceive CGC so I can sell trimmed books as untrimmed is beyond me :screwy: I sell mostly raw and hardly ever use CGC unless its for my own collection.

And you can take that last comment and shove it back in your blank where it came from.

It only appears so because most of the newbies in this thread couldn't detect a trim job from a hole in the ground. There's no doubt whatsoever this book has been trimmed.

Ahhhh, the classic newbie argument. Out of 70+ submissions in the past year, I have not had a single one come back trimmed, so I would beg to differ. However, perhaps Ive just been real lucky. Would you care to elaborate? Maybe instead of bashing people you could help educate as I am certainly willing to listen.