• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question for IAN

55 posts in this topic

I still think that the final, dramatic ending to Ian's quest will be deathlok managing to get a hold of New Adventure Comics #26 copy and selling it to Ian at guide value. 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

I'm thinking more of an ending where a giddy Deathlok, armed with videocam for proper documentation of course, proceeds to incinerate a NM copy of New Adventure Comics #26, dances around the burning book for a bit, complete with offensive hand gestures pointed at The One who must not be Named, then begins to urinate and extinguish the burning pile, manaically laughing, ending with a defiant "I'd like to see you restore this now, beeyatch!"

Now we've got the making of a non-superhero related movie. It will be a drama with an NC-17 rating for deathlok's uncanny performance. headbang.gif

acclaim.gif

screwy.gif

frustrated.gif

you have stated in previous posts that the OPG has a lot of price discrepancies in regards to its prices for esoteric rare items. Without looking through previous posts, the jist being a $5 item that you were more than willing to pay $100 for if anyone could find you a copy yet you accuse the BSD of price gouging for a new adventure 26 at 10 times OPG What exactly is the difference other than absolute dollars and cents 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

A very good question indeed.

A comic like the Superman Bradman custom comic, where there are only three copies in circulation, and which cost me nearly a thousand bucks to buy off the Bradman family themselves, HAS to be woefully and stupidly guided at four bucks.

New Adventure 26 guides at $1400 in VF.

Lately there have been copies on e-Bay of numbers 19, 20, and 29, all for a couple of hundred bucks each.

For someone to charge $15000 for this issue smacks of avarice and extortion.

For that reason I utterly refuse to buy that copy.

If I didn't still need it, and a copy of it went up on e-Bay, no-one would pay more than a thousand bucks for it, and that's being generous.

Face it, someone got REALLY greedy purely because they knew it was the last comic I needed. I mean REALLY SICKENINGLY greedy.

Just curious, why is it extortion to play $15,000 for $1,400 book (10.7x guide) and not $1,000 for a $4 book (250x guide)? Is extortion directly realated to the end price? I wouldn't feel that way. What does Mom think?

you have stated in previous posts that the OPG has a lot of price discrepancies in regards to its prices for esoteric rare items. Without looking through previous posts, the jist being a $5 item that you were more than willing to pay $100 for if anyone could find you a copy yet you accuse the BSD of price gouging for a new adventure 26 at 10 times OPG What exactly is the difference other than absolute dollars and cents 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

A comic like the Superman Bradman custom comic, where there are only three copies in circulation, and which cost me nearly a thousand bucks to buy off the Bradman family themselves, HAS to be woefully and stupidly guided at four bucks.

Lately there have been copies on e-Bay of numbers 19, 20, and 29, all for a couple of hundred bucks each.

If I didn't still need it, and a copy of it went up on e-Bay, no-one would pay more than a thousand bucks for it, and that's being generous.

Face it, someone got REALLY greedy purely because they knew it was the last comic I needed. I mean REALLY SICKENINGLY greedy.

Just curious, why is it extortion to play $15,000 for $1,400 book (10.7x guide) and not $1,000 for a $4 book (250x guide)? Is extortion directly realated to the end price? I wouldn't feel that way. What does Mom think?

I think that Ian's point is that the Superman/Bradman book's "Guide value" is wildly inaccurate and does not at all reflect the actual price that anyone would have to pay for a copy of that book. The New Adventure #26, on the other hand, is more appropriately valued in Guide. Obviously Ian's needing the book causes the seller to believe that Ian will pay more than Guide value for it. But if someone else like RareHighGrade sold Ian his New Adventure #26, the seller would have no one willing to pay anywhere near $15,000 for that book. He'd get somewhere around Guide value, maybe a little more. The Guide value of NA#26 is relatively accurate based on past sales, whereas the Superman/Bradman Guide value is just an arbitrary number having nothing at all to do with the rarity or availability of the book.

I still think that the final, dramatic ending to Ian's quest will be deathlok managing to get a hold of New Adventure Comics #26 copy and selling it to Ian at guide value. 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

I'm thinking more of an ending where a giddy Deathlok, armed with videocam for proper documentation of course, proceeds to incinerate a NM copy of New Adventure Comics #26, dances around the burning book for a bit, complete with offensive hand gestures pointed at The One who must not be Named, then begins to urinate and extinguish the burning pile, manaically laughing, ending with a defiant "I'd like to see you restore this now, beeyatch!"

you been reading too much Harry Potter? 27_laughing.gif

I think that Ian's point is that the Superman/Bradman book's "Guide value" is wildly inaccurate and does not at all reflect the actual price that anyone would have to pay for a copy of that book. The New Adventure #26, on the other hand, is more appropriately valued in Guide. Obviously Ian's needing the book causes the seller to believe that Ian will pay more than Guide value for it. But if someone else like RareHighGrade sold Ian his New Adventure #26, the seller would have no one willing to pay anywhere near $15,000 for that book. He'd get somewhere around Guide value, maybe a little more. The Guide value of NA#26 is relatively accurate based on past sales, whereas the Superman/Bradman Guide value is just an arbitrary number having nothing at all to do with the rarity or availability of the book.

screwy.gif

True! However, the "guide" is just that. While rarity is a major part of this discussion, supply and demand certainly come into play also. If demand was there for the Superman/Bradman book, then it should be worth more than $4. Is demand there? Does anyone but a completist collect or even really look to find this book? It seems obvious to me that NA #26 is also extremely rare, or Ian would have one already. It also seems to me that demand on the NA #26 is much higher than the Superman/Bradman. All this being said, why is it so much more of a problem to pay 10x guide compared to 250x guide. I think that acquisitions of "greed" and "extortion" are just a tad bit uncalled for.

I'm thinking more of an ending where a giddy Deathlok, armed with videocam for proper documentation of course, proceeds to incinerate a NM copy of New Adventure Comics #26, dances around the burning book for a bit.....

Like an indian...

I'm thinking more of an ending where a giddy Deathlok, armed with videocam for proper documentation of course, proceeds to incinerate a NM copy of New Adventure Comics #26, dances around the burning book for a bit.....

Like an indian...

893naughty-thumb.gif

Native American!

insane.gif

True! However, the "guide" is just that. While rarity is a major part of this discussion, supply and demand certainly come into play also. If demand was there for the Superman/Bradman book, then it should be worth more than $4. Is demand there? Does anyone but a completist collect or even really look to find this book? It seems obvious to me that NA #26 is also extremely rare, or Ian would have one already. It also seems to me that demand on the NA #26 is much higher than the Superman/Bradman. All this being said, why is it so much more of a problem to pay 10x guide compared to 250x guide. I think that acquisitions of "greed" and "extortion" are just a tad bit uncalled for.

Well, those were Ian's words, not mine.

That much was apparent... particularly in light of the proper punctuation.

You're slipping. You forgot to add a poke2.gif

yay.gif

I have decided to cut down on my emoticon usage. This way, people who KNOW me will know when I'm kidding, but the new people will flee in terror.

yay.gif

I have decided to cut down on my emoticon usage. This way, people who KNOW me will know when I'm kidding, but the new people will flee in terror.

27_laughing.gifhail.gif

yay.gif

27_laughing.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

yay.gif

27_laughing.gifhail.gif

Well now, my new policy puts me in a position more difficult, more uncomfortable, more awkward than that night you drank too many "drinks with umbrellas" and asked me to dress up like a Catholic schoolgirl. After all, how can I respond to a post like that without simply saying:

" acclaim.gif "?

(I am now shrugging in a fashion similar to that of that one emoticon that shrugs.)

yay.gif

27_laughing.gifhail.gif

Well now, my new policy puts me in a position more difficult, more uncomfortable, more awkward than that night you drank too many "drinks with umbrellas" and asked me to dress up like a Catholic schoolgirl. After all, how can I respond to a post like that without simply saying:

" acclaim.gif "?

(I am now shrugging in a fashion similar to that of that one emoticon that shrugs.)

I couldn't help myself. When you told me how your father could make you a dress, I just had to see it.

yay.gif

27_laughing.gifhail.gif

" acclaim.gif "?

I couldn't help myself. When you told me how your father could make you a dress, I just had to see it.

[#@$%!!!]! (I'm now making that first face in the upper left corner of the emoticon section.)

yay.gif

27_laughing.gifhail.gif

" acclaim.gif "?

[#@$%!!!]! (I'm now making that first face in the upper left corner of the emoticon section.)

I'll interpret.

mad.gif

yay.gif

27_laughing.gifhail.gif

" acclaim.gif "?

He shoots, he scores!!!!! acclaim.gif