• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question for IAN

55 posts in this topic

you have stated in previous posts that the OPG has a lot of price discrepancies in regards to its prices for esoteric rare items. Without looking through previous posts, the jist being a $5 item that you were more than willing to pay $100 for if anyone could find you a copy yet you accuse the BSD of price gouging for a new adventure 26 at 10 times OPG What exactly is the difference other than absolute dollars and cents 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

you have stated in previous posts that the OPG has a lot of price discrepancies in regards to its prices for esoteric rare items. Without looking through previous posts, the jist being a $5 item that you were more than willing to pay $100 for if anyone could find you a copy yet you accuse the BSD of price gouging for a new adventure 26 at 10 times OPG What exactly is the difference other than absolute dollars and cents 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The difference is the perceived value of the book in HIS mind.

A very good question indeed.

A comic like the Superman Bradman custom comic, where there are only three copies in circulation, and which cost me nearly a thousand bucks to buy off the Bradman family themselves, HAS to be woefully and stupidly guided at four bucks.

New Adventure 26 guides at $1400 in VF.

Lately there have been copies on e-Bay of numbers 19, 20, and 29, all for a couple of hundred bucks each.

For someone to charge $15000 for this issue smacks of avarice and extortion.

For that reason I utterly refuse to buy that copy.

If I didn't still need it, and a copy of it went up on e-Bay, no-one would pay more than a thousand bucks for it, and that's being generous.

Face it, someone got REALLY greedy purely because they knew it was the last comic I needed. I mean REALLY SICKENINGLY greedy.

A comic like the Superman Bradman custom comic, where there are only three copies in circulation, and which cost me nearly a thousand bucks to buy off the Bradman family themselves, HAS to be woefully and stupidly guided at four bucks.

Lately there have been copies on e-Bay of numbers 19, 20, and 29, all for a couple of hundred bucks each.

If I didn't still need it, and a copy of it went up on e-Bay, no-one would pay more than a thousand bucks for it, and that's being generous.

Face it, someone got REALLY greedy purely because they knew it was the last comic I needed. I mean REALLY SICKENINGLY greedy.

I actually agree with you, but to play devil's advocate --

sure, it's disproportionate, but when it's one of the few existing copies, it's all about supply and demand. There's very limited supply and you demand the book. Market forces at work. Just because you're not willing to pay the price, doesn't mean it's not worth it. And I don't know why you seem to be PERSONALLY offended by the price. Buy it or keep looking. But STOP THE WHINING already!!! 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Ian,

What is your minimum grade or restoration requirement for any given DC book? Do you draw the line on Fair and minus books that are falling apart or missing pages, etc. Do all your books have to be complete and unrestored? I guess the same question would apply to the other completionist.

Ian,

What is your minimum grade or restoration requirement for any given DC book? Do you draw the line on Fair and minus books that are falling apart or missing pages, etc. Do all your books have to be complete and unrestored? I guess the same question would apply to the other completionist.

Don't get him started. Read the thirty other threads that he's already posted 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Ian,

Don't get him started. Read the thirty other threads that he's already posted 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

or better yet just PM him. gossip.gif

I think you're being a bit hard on Ian here. Someone asked him a question and he answered it. Whining? I don't think so. I think he's right. The seller of that book completely overpriced it, knowing he had a buyer who was specifically interested in it. If any one of us were to try to buy the book--"How much for that one, I love indian covers?"--I bet the price would be substantially lower.

Unless you have read the history of Ian's posts you may not understand how much of a Drama Queen he is.

The seller of the book has every right to set the price for his book. If Ian doesn't want to pay the price then he should look elsewhere. He is particularly bitter because he feels everyone should cater to his needs.

I still think that the final, dramatic ending to Ian's quest will be deathlok managing to get a hold of New Adventure Comics #26 copy and selling it to Ian at guide value. 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

not at Guide value. devil.gif

gossip.gif ($14,000)

I still think that the final, dramatic ending to Ian's quest will be deathlok managing to get a hold of New Adventure Comics #26 copy and selling it to Ian at guide value. 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

I'm thinking more of an ending where a giddy Deathlok, armed with videocam for proper documentation of course, proceeds to incinerate a NM copy of New Adventure Comics #26, dances around the burning book for a bit, complete with offensive hand gestures pointed at The One who must not be Named, then begins to urinate and extinguish the burning pile, manaically laughing, ending with a defiant "I'd like to see you restore this now, beeyatch!"

I'm thinking more of an ending where a giddy Deathlok, armed with videocam for proper documentation of course, proceeds to incinerate a NM copy of New Adventure Comics #26, dances around the burning book for a bit, complete with offensive hand gestures pointed at The One who must not be Named, then begins to urinate and extinguish the burning pile, manaically laughing, ending with a defiant "I'd like to see you restore this now, beeyatch!"

Now we've got the making of a non-superhero related movie. It will be a drama with an NC-17 rating for deathlok's uncanny performance. headbang.gif

My point being that if that book guided for $140 and he wanted $1500 would we be seeing a I finally did it post.

The fact that no one else would pay more than $1000 for another copy logic works when there are two conceivable copies available however, according to what I have read on these boards, there is only one available copy so logic can get thrown out the window.

Now we've got the making of a non-superhero related movie. It will be a drama with an NC-17 rating for deathlok's uncanny performance. headbang.gif

acclaim.gif

acclaim.gif

screwy.gif