• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics in New Orleans during the disaster

31 posts in this topic

Yep , ... golden age comics disappear every year, each and every year.

many pre code issues of horror, love and war series exist in minimal amounts

in the first place, my advice to the young generation to all is to pick a pre code set and try to complete the run , it will be a long achievement but gratifying with major upside potential , possibly very lucrative indeed ! don't waste your time slabbing anything modern , it won't even be worth half the price of the slab in 25 years because there is too much of it, but golden age will hold their value and very likely increase when the major rarities become known after data of extant copies becomes available in the computer age and the realization is made public about golden age pre code that -THERE IS JUST NOT THAT MUCH OUT THERE

I love golden-age comics, but the reality is that, unlike stamps or coins where rarity alone equates to value, comic collectors have never been especially interested in books for rarity alone. These boards, for instance, are a massing of some of the major collectors in the country, and even here I would be surprised if even 5% have an interest in platinum-age, despite the fact that many (not all) issues are quite rare.

Another generation or two removed, and most golden-age titles will probably fall into the same state of disinterest unfortunately.

True enough-the elements of a valuable collectible are

Rarity

Significance

Condition

Demand

Minus any one of those and you dont have squat

I know of someone's collection that was destroyed in Sandy. Nothing but 80-90's stuff but it was just wet pulp upon return.

In another story, when we went back to my friend's place to salvage whatever we could, we were VERY pleased that his Yankee stadium chairs were still there. A few other things were gone presumably washed into the bay but those chairs made it.

I keep a pretty small collection and already know what I would grab with me if I had to leave the area.

I know of someone's collection that was destroyed in Sandy. Nothing but 80-90's stuff but it was just wet pulp upon return.

In another story, when we went back to my friend's place to salvage whatever we could, we were VERY pleased that his Yankee stadium chairs were still there. A few other things were gone presumably washed into the bay but those chairs made it.

I keep a pretty small collection and already know what I would grab with me if I had to leave the area.

Yankee Stadium Chairs :cloud9: ......as a died in the wool Southerner, I'm not SUPPOSED to like the Yankees..... but I just can't help myself ...... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I love golden-age comics, but the reality is that, unlike stamps or coins where rarity alone equates to value, comic collectors have never been especially interested in books for rarity alone. These boards, for instance, are a massing of some of the major collectors in the country, and even here I would be surprised if even 5% have an interest in platinum-age, despite the fact that many (not all) issues are quite rare.

Another generation or two removed, and most golden-age titles will probably fall into the same state of disinterest unfortunately.

This line of thinking reminds me of the first SDCC convention I was at way back in the very early 90's. I am just absolutely astonished that it is still in existence in today's marketplace given all of the recent pricing history which we have seen.

Anyways, back to my story.......the Platinum edition of Spidey #1 had just been released a few months earlier and was a very hot book at the time with sticker prices of $1K at various dealer booths down at the con. Silly old me came across 4 high grade Timely's at a very small dealer's booth (Jon Warren's I believe) which I was interested in.

I hummed and hawed over the four books and finally decided on the 2 Captain America's (issue #29 & #31) at something like $500 each because they appeared to be nicer, sharper, and brighter than the 2 Marvel Mystery books. Afterwards, a couple of the dealers saw the 2 Caps and told me that I was an absolute fool to be buying 2 books which had nowhere to go but down in price as everybody would soon forget about these GA books. Especially in comparison to the Spidey 1 which had nowhere to go but up and one that would never see a $1,000 again.

I guess they were certainly right about that as I believe the Platinum Spidey 1 can be picked up for something like only $100 in today's market lol while the 2 Cap's are priced somewhere in the +$6K range in the OS guide and most likely would fetch even more in the open market.

Of course I did make a mistake on my end as the 2 Marvel Mystery books which I had passed on turned out to be the San Francisco copies as I was not aware of the "G" coding at the time. doh!

Looking back, I certainly regret passing on the 2 MM's as I still do not have any SF books in my collection to this day and is one of the very few pedigrees which I am missing and which I will probably never be able to acquire. :cry:

I don't know if you guys know author and publisher, Gary Lovisi, who lived in Brooklyn. During NYCC, Gary ran the Collectible Paperback Show on Sunday. I really enjoyed Gary's shows and chatting with him, other paperback collectors and dealers, and meeting some of my favorite authors.

Gary lost just about everything during Hurricane Sandy, including his personal collection of valuable and old paperbacks.

http://file770.com/?p=11107

nAfterwards, a couple of the dealers saw the 2 Caps and told me that I was an absolute fool to be buying 2 books which had nowhere to go but down in price as everybody would soon forget about these GA books. Especially in comparison to the Spidey 1 which had nowhere to go but up and one that would never see a $1,000 again.

I would think that those dealers are no longer in business. I can't think of any reputable dealer -- even in the 90s -- that thought high-grade Golden Age Caps were less of an investment than a platinum Spider-Man #1.

nAfterwards, a couple of the dealers saw the 2 Caps and told me that I was an absolute fool to be buying 2 books which had nowhere to go but down in price as everybody would soon forget about these GA books. Especially in comparison to the Spidey 1 which had nowhere to go but up and one that would never see a $1,000 again.

I would think that those dealers are no longer in business. I can't think of any reputable dealer -- even in the 90s -- that thought high-grade Golden Age Caps were less of an investment than a platinum Spider-Man #1.

+1 billion

wtf??????????????????

.... they went back to selling Baseball Cards :baiting: GOD BLESS...

in 25 years on you-tube there will be tutorial on how to safely incinerate the modern comics people are slabbing today just as there are tutorials on how to burn up your boxes full of baseball cards from the 1990's on.... nobody is burning up vintage cards and golden age will always have demand ...

there IS no comparison of golden age to platinum , this from a collecter who bought comics of the rack in the mid 70's at 15 years old and has no remembrance of the golden age ,... but just taking a look at that stuff and you realize just how great the comics are with loads of upside potential

Yankee Stadium Chairs :cloud9: ......as a died in the wool Southerner, I'm not SUPPOSED to like the Yankees..... but I just can't help myself ...... GOD BLESS....

You are not alone. I watch a lot of games and notice a lot of Yankee hats in the crowds at the ballparks when Jeter and Co are away.

nice try but sorry .... don't think so , modern comics with contrived low print runs still are saved in their entirety so even accounted for those lost in fires etc

40 to 50 yrs from now will still outnumber classic golden age comics thousands to one, today most dealers will not even waste their time looking at anything modern except walking dead #1-10 , todays modern comics will be like 99.8% of the baseball cards printed since 1980 they will sell them to you but they will not buy them back at any price

I wasn't comparing modern comics to GA comics. Just speaking of modern comics in general