• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics in New Orleans during the disaster

31 posts in this topic

Hi ,when I tell all my non collecting friends about the comic hobby i always tell them about how comics are a perishable item and that golden age comics were not made to be kept and even those saved disappear every year.., someday.. a couple generations from now many true rarities from the golden age will become known, just not yet as data still needs to be compiled, I actually feel sorry for the younger generation who are requesting new CGC registry sets be created for typical modern age comics with thousand of issues available when there are many golden age comics that are truly rare without registry sets and you might have to wait years to find an individual issue! much more to say but now to the point ... what chances were there of anyone living in New Orleans during the great hurricane of saving any of their comics?? maybe they could have grabbed their best two or three long boxes or something but nobody had much time to save anything , . so I am sure all the comic book stores lost ALL their inventory and 99% of the everyday collectors lost 99% of their collection,,??

input or discussion anyone ?

From what I understand there have been several large disasters that have swallowed up terrific collections.

I heard that someone lost an impressive Pedigree collection that was stored in the WTC during the time of 9/11

Thank you and WOW that is the complete opposite of the coins stored in the basement of the WTC's ,. their coins survived the collapse without damage and then they were encapsuled as WTC survivor coins and now they try selling them at twice(f not more) their previous value

Each golden age comic lost during a disaster could easily be 1% or more of the copies in existence , talking about some of the obscure titles

anyone not collection golden age CGC and who are collecting and slabbing modern comics are merely throwing good money after bad which is ok if they can afford it as anybody gets to collect whatever they want , just saying , but if you collect comics and you slab them (which means you no longer will be reading it) you might as well collect something that actually has a rarity factor ie: golden age , feel so sorry or modern cgc collectors they remind me of people who buy modern proof slabbed coins from television infomercials .

I don't collect modern comics, but something to consider is that one day those very modern comics will become old. If people are still collecting comics 40-50 years from now, I can only imagine what kind of prices some of today's moderns could command. Considering the much lower print runs.

Granted, the demand would have to be there.

Like i said, i don't collect moderns. This is just my 2 pennies :)

As far as GA comics lost to disasters... I think it's sad that so many great comics have been lost over the years. I also think about all of the original art that has been lost over the years, and for me, that's even worse.

(The loss of life of coarse, goes without saying)

Each golden age comic lost during a disaster could easily be 1% or more of the copies in existence , talking about some of the obscure titles

anyone not collection golden age CGC and who are collecting and slabbing modern comics are merely throwing good money after bad which is ok if they can afford it as anybody gets to collect whatever they want , just saying , but if you collect comics and you slab them (which means you no longer will be reading it) you might as well collect something that actually has a rarity factor ie: golden age , feel so sorry or modern cgc collectors they remind me of people who buy modern proof slabbed coins from television infomercials .

What if I don't care about moldy trash from 70 years ago or plastic encased junk from last month?

I don't know how many comic collections were lost during Katrina, but I do know that during the flooding a large sum of money disappeared from an evidence room. I wonder how many comics/collections might have been stolen during that time.

I know that a good chunk of my Uncle's GA and SA books (including a few #1's) were ruined in a hurricane in the 90's in New Orleans. But most survived. I think it was 2 long boxes he lost.

I don't collect modern comics, but something to consider is that one day those very modern comics will become old. If people are still collecting comics 40-50 years from now, I can only imagine what kind of prices some of today's moderns could command. Considering the much lower print runs.

I think if Peter Parker #1 isn't worth anything after 40 years that about sums up what all those slabbed moderns will be worth. I also think the moderns that are high value are a bubble,,,I mean, it's not like there aren't plenty around. The print runs are lower but nearly all of them are bagged and boarded so it's not like GA or SA comics that were discarded.

I live just north of New Orleans and I would say there was many collections lost during Katrina. The problem was that the hurricane pasted through and it was bad, but then the next morning is when the water flood came and nobody had a chance to save anything. We got pretty lucky my comics and cards came out safe even though we had $27,000 in damages. We didn't flood that was only in New Orleans.

nice try but sorry .... don't think so , modern comics with contrived low print runs still are saved in their entirety so even accounted for those lost in fires etc

40 to 50 yrs from now will still outnumber classic golden age comics thousands to one, today most dealers will not even waste their time looking at anything modern except walking dead #1-10 , todays modern comics will be like 99.8% of the baseball cards printed since 1980 they will sell them to you but they will not buy them back at any price

I think if Peter Parker #1 isn't worth anything after 40 years that about sums up what all those slabbed moderns will be worth. I also think the moderns that are high value are a bubble,,,I mean, it's not like there aren't plenty around. The print runs are lower but nearly all of them are bagged and boarded so it's not like GA or SA comics that were discarded.

On that note, i bet Xfactor 1 and NM 98 are gerber 7 in VG.... all the other 70k copies are 9.8... :ohnoez:

When I was living in New Jersey in 1999, Hurricane Floyd came through and wiped out all but six long boxes of my collection. Those six boxes were the best stuff I had, but I still had about 30 long boxes of good stuff that were submerged.

I was quite sad.

Yep , ... golden age comics disappear every year, each and every year.

many pre code issues of horror, love and war series exist in minimal amounts

in the first place, my advice to the young generation to all is to pick a pre code set and try to complete the run , it will be a long achievement but gratifying with major upside potential , possibly very lucrative indeed ! don't waste your time slabbing anything modern , it won't even be worth half the price of the slab in 25 years because there is too much of it, but golden age will hold their value and very likely increase when the major rarities become known after data of extant copies becomes available in the computer age and the realization is made public about golden age pre code that -THERE IS JUST NOT THAT MUCH OUT THERE

Yep , ... golden age comics disappear every year, each and every year.

many pre code issues of horror, love and war series exist in minimal amounts

in the first place, my advice to the young generation to all is to pick a pre code set and try to complete the run , it will be a long achievement but gratifying with major upside potential , possibly very lucrative indeed ! don't waste your time slabbing anything modern , it won't even be worth half the price of the slab in 25 years because there is too much of it, but golden age will hold their value and very likely increase when the major rarities become known after data of extant copies becomes available in the computer age and the realization is made public about golden age pre code that -THERE IS JUST NOT THAT MUCH OUT THERE

I love golden-age comics, but the reality is that, unlike stamps or coins where rarity alone equates to value, comic collectors have never been especially interested in books for rarity alone. These boards, for instance, are a massing of some of the major collectors in the country, and even here I would be surprised if even 5% have an interest in platinum-age, despite the fact that many (not all) issues are quite rare.

Another generation or two removed, and most golden-age titles will probably fall into the same state of disinterest unfortunately.