• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is there any way to confirm/identify if these are by Barry Windsor Smith?

12 posts in this topic

I recently a Barry Smith portfolio in the recent Morphy Auction. The link to the auction is - http://morphyauctions.hibid.com/lot/15819141/1974-barry-smiths-conan-illustrated-portfolio-?cat=0&sort=1&hide=0&qs=0&view=0&aView=0&q=barry+smith&selCat=0

Description : 1974 Barry Smith's Conan Illustrated Portfolio.

Has original art. Limited edition no. 316 out of 1000. Contains six plates. Plate number one is numbered and signed by Smith. Also includes three panels of Smith's original animation art. Condition (Very Good - Excellent).

As you can see from the description, it contained what is described as three panels of Smith's original animation art. I have scanned the two pages. Anyone recognize what it is from or if it is indeed Smith?

By the way the portfolio was no where close to being in excellent condition. A stain is present on all the plates. I do have another set of the same portfolio which is in nearly flawless condition. I was just intrigued by these panels.

Thanks for any help.

Description : 1974 Barry Smith's Conan Illustrated Portfolio.

Has original art. Limited edition no. 316 out of 1000. Contains six plates. Plate number one is numbered and signed by Smith. Also includes three panels of Smith's original animation art. Condition (Very Good - Excellent).

BarrySmithRoughOAPage104.jpg

BarrySmithRoughOAPage109.jpg

Blackmark roughs, maybe. If anyone has a copy they could compare the page numbers.

Thanks. I don't have a copy but given the high pages numbers and the Blackmark GN was 252 pages, it would make sense. I will take a look to compare.

They have value.

Thanks - with all this information, I found similar roughs on Anthony's Comic Book Art website for sale http://www.anthonyscomicbookart.com/artistgalleryroom.asp?artistid=452.

Same character is shown - not sure if those values are realistic and these are more rough I believe but I appreciate all the help folks. :foryou:

iam still wondering what was the guy thinking when he put that in the portfolio in the first place and was trying to make more money on it by saying that this was barry smith original art work.

Morphy's is a large auction house. They most likely didn't pay much attention and it possible the consignor had no clue what he had. The few and small pictures on the auction items didn't help much. I bought it for the portfolio although I have another one. This was an added bonus.