• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BRONZE AGE CAPTAIN MARVEL

8 posts in this topic

Ran across a few of these in the box of books that I bought at an

auction years ago. Seems like an interesting series that I haven't

seen to much interest in.

14596492194_3f7a9b9dd2.jpg

mm

There's plenty of interest Capt Marvel's, particularly those issues dealing with Thanos.

Obviously,there's a pretty big drop off after that, but those are still fun books!

Cptm1-33.jpg

As a kid, CM was one of my favorites and I continued to buy the title up to its cancellation, but the quality of story telling and artwork quickly dropped off after Starlin left. I wasn't surprised that so many folks dropped it from their monthly reading list. I would have also, except that the run ended before that happened.

A real shame the next, great CM story had to be the character's death.

I do not entirely agree with Brian, as I truly loved the issues immediately after the Starlin ones. The "drop of quality" was probably more in the last 6-7 issues of the series, but many stories written by Englehart and Scott Edelman have an ineffable quality which pretty much amazed me when I read them as a kid (and still does).

Stories like "Crisis", "To Begin Anew!" or "Beneath the mask a man" are fascinating pieces of work, and to me they have nothing to envy to Starlin’s run. :)