• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Green Eggs Grading Contest Round 4

118 posts in this topic

Wow, that was a sick grade they gave that MIS, did anyone get that one???

I hit on that book, went with 7.0 on the other. It looked like there was some staining on the BC? Anyone else discount for that?

I was doing by phone, but that shouldn't matter. I hammered it for that back cover, and the little ding in the "C" in DC. I pushed it to a 6.0 lol

Doh, fell for the old "they couldn't both be the same grade" trap...

+1 8.0 with that tanning on BC on book 1 sheesh.

You can find some in the 9s with similar to worse tanning. :whistle:

I went 7.0 wanted to edit my grade to 7.5. Never thought an 8.0 was possible there. What did you grade it as?

I would really like to have seen that book in hand to grade it. Looked like a tough book that presented great from front with BC issues. I had it at 7.5 because of the tanning/damage combo I thought it would just get knocked off of 8.0

I hit on that book, went with 7.0 on the other. It looked like there was some staining on the BC? Anyone else discount for that?

I was doing by phone, but that shouldn't matter. I hammered it for that back cover, and the little ding in the "C" in DC. I pushed it to a 6.0 lol

I had 8.0-8.0 rattling around in my head for a spell...kept going back to the way that bottom corner snag had so much removed paper...settled on...

My best round to date!! :banana:

I had 8.0-8.0 rattling around in my head for a spell...kept going back to the way that bottom corner snag had so much removed paper...settled on...

My best round to date!! :banana:

Same rationale I had. Plus the whole not wanting to say they were both 8.0 :)

Ditto on the grade.

Also because of the goobered up LLC. Book looks nicer and blacker in the case than in the raw scan.

I can't see using a phone to grade. I like to use my iPad for looking at the books. Sharp image and you can easily adjust the brightness. If you have your IPad in landscape mode you can put the picture of the book almost full screen and it is the correct width which is a good perspective to look at the book.

I went 7.0 wanted to edit my grade to 7.5. Never thought an 8.0 was possible there. What did you grade it as?

I would really like to have seen that book in hand to grade it. Looked like a tough book that presented great from front with BC issues. I had it at 7.5 because of the tanning/damage combo I thought it would just get knocked off of 8.0

Agree with the 7.5 ceiling... You'd have to have balls of steel to sell that as a raw 8.0.

The one thing I'll say kind of in CGC's defense is that I can imagine this cover's black inks really "pop" in hand more than in the scans. Just a hunch, but they do look a bit more vibrant in Andy's reveal photo.

Agree with the 7.5 ceiling... You'd have to have balls of steel to sell that as a raw 8.0.

The one thing I'll say kind of in CGC's defense is that I can imagine this cover's black inks really "pop" in hand more than in the scans. Just a hunch, but they do look a bit more vibrant in Andy's reveal photo.

:blush:

How did you get a hold of my reveal photo???

Is this the part where I go on a 4 day rant about how CGC can't grade consistently and these grades were B.S. while taking all the fun out of this?

:jokealert:

Well played gentlemen, well played. Round 4 to you.

You PM it to anyone that even glances your way.

You PM it to anyone that even glances your way.

PM sent, big boy. :wink:

Not me. I gave it a 7.0 :(

All this just wouldn't let me grade it 8.0 VF

bc corner.... piece missing

MysteryInSpace_BCcorner2_zps7458660c.jpg

bc .....other corner.... numerous pages ripped

MysteryInSpace_BCcorner_zps3a424dc6.jpg

bc ....side ....rip, missing even ?

MysteryInSpace_BCside_zps62a4a454.jpg

bc ....top..... ripped....crunched .....pressed hm:grin:

MysteryInSpace_BCtop_zpseb619850.jpg

fc..... corner....torn pages show from the back cover trouble

MysteryInSpace_FCcorner_zps6525e6f1.jpg

and last.....fc top corner.... looked like another small piece missing, but maybe its the artwork......then theres that color breaking scrape through the DC logo :(

MysteryInSpace_FCcornertop_zps0751fcbc.jpg