• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Grayson" looks to be a hit so a bump for Tec 38?

260 posts in this topic

I don't know why everyone is so quick to try and pooh pooh movie hype affecting this book. More Fun 73 anyone? Marvel Family 1? I think it's pretty clear that the movie/tv hype train is affecting more and more books all the time, including GA.

The bigger and more expensive a book the less movie hype will have a direct bump (although Id argue popularity in media remains an important indirect pricing consideration leading to long term overall strength of demand), but IMO those considerations are why tec 27 doesn't get an immediate direct bump for a movie ( anticipation of continued popularity in all media is already priced in), but those considerations are not "priced in" for tec 38, or weren't.

Sure, no one is going to watch a movie, become a comic collector out of the blue and go out and buy a tec 38. But people that are already collectors can and will have more interest in characters featured prominently in other media (shrug)

You all may say that he's such an established character that it doesn't matter blah blah. OK, but really since teen titans 44 he's very slowly become more and more of a stand alone character opposed to just a supporting character. I think what you are seeing now is a bit if a shift from second to arguably first banana pricing.

Not to mention that the speculation in these books is a self fulfilling prophecy!

All that said, I still hate the book 2c. Sorry :insane:

I still think some collectors who just wanted a copy, got into a bidding war on that .5 and inflated the price. I mean restored, wrong back cover and trimmed? :screwy:

It was the perfect storm. Put up the worst available copy, that still presents well, at a low starting auction, and bidders think this is their chance. And it just kept going and going.

The last restored .5 sold at HA in 2013 for $1600. Huge jump and not an upward trend that can be sustained. See More Fun 73

Edited by StingerMcK

I think MF 73 was a result of movie/tv hype along with low census numbers and scarcity. Census numbers have increased and the book is more available. The fact that neither hero appears on the cover in conjunction with their 2nd tier DC status has the book cooling off a bit. I don't think we will see that with Tec 38. Robin is a top tier DC character (I would argue top 6) If the rumors about Suicide Squad and B V S are true I think we are in for a major bump in 2016 with this book

I don't know why everyone is so quick to try and pooh pooh movie hype affecting this book. More Fun 73 anyone? Marvel Family 1? I think it's pretty clear that the movie/tv hype train is affecting more and more books all the time, including GA.

The bigger and more expensive a book the less movie hype will have a direct bump (although Id argue popularity in media remains an important indirect pricing consideration leading to long term overall strength of demand), but IMO those considerations are why tec 27 doesn't get an immediate direct bump for a movie ( anticipation of continued popularity in all media is already priced in), but those considerations are not "priced in" for tec 38, or weren't.

Sure, no one is going to watch a movie, become a comic collector out of the blue and go out and buy a tec 38. But people that are already collectors can and will have more interest in characters featured prominently in other media (shrug)

You all may say that he's such an established character that it doesn't matter blah blah. OK, but really since teen titans 44 he's very slowly become more and more of a stand alone character opposed to just a supporting character. I think what you are seeing now is a bit if a shift from second to arguably first banana pricing.

Not to mention that the speculation in these books is a self fulfilling prophecy!

All that said, I still hate the book 2c. Sorry :insane:

Not everyone denies it's a factor. Just some. It's not because they haven't seen evidence to the contrary. They just believe, personally, that movie hype should not be a factor and that people should value things for the same reasons they do. And some believe that so strongly that not only will say they say it shouldn't be a factor, they will insist it isn't, and never has been.

Me, I've always thought it was undervalued. And I think that it will go up in price now just because I've sold every copy I had

Thanks Peter. I don't think I've ever seen those 2 before in their raw state/ Will be fun to see where they end up. Most curious to see if the 3.5 hammers at above Greg Reece's 3.0 Blue that sold for 18k this year. (that copy presented better IMO)

Edited by Chicago Boy

Thanks Peter. I don't think I've ever seen those 2 before in their raw state/ Will be fun to see where they end up.

here's another one for you

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=631062

and another

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=611826

Thanks Peter. I don't think I've ever seen those 2 before in their raw state/ Will be fun to see where they end up. Most curious to see if the 3.5 hammers at above Greg Reece's 3.0 Blue that sold for 18k this year. (that copy presented better IMO)

Sorry I missed that copy. I'd happily pay 18K for a nice presenting copy in that range.

Sorry I missed that copy. I'd happily pay 18K for a nice presenting copy in that range.

that would make 2 of us.

any guesses what that solo 9.4 could fetch at auction? any one own one of the three .5's and /or kno what's missing for it to warrant that grade, etc ??

I have one. Centre wrap missing. Shame really to say the least.

I doubt I'll find one anytime soon..... :sorry: