• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Missed Auction Opportunities?

15 posts in this topic

Have you ever had your eye on a GA auction and, for whatever reason, missed the opportunity to bid....only to find out the book you were eying went for a steal?

This happened to me yesterday. A beautiful copy of Thrilling Comics 64, 9.2 (at least a 1k book) went for $430. I feel bad for the seller but the buyer (who wasn't me :cry:) made out. http://www.ebay.com/itm/151345194452?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

The auction strangely ended at 3:30pm EST yesterday, which was the reason I missed the auction (that work thing) and likely the reason the book went so cheaply. IMHO one of the best steals of the year.

Dang. That is a crazy low price.

Indeed. I bought an 8.0 of the same book from you Jeff for $400 a few months ago. That was a fair price. Three grades up for $30 dollars more...whoah!

Yeah, he probably could have at least doubled his money by ending the auction Sunday night rather than Wed afternoon.

Kinda funny, though, that people searching for Thrilling didn't spot it any way. You can receive daily e-mails from eBay with your key term searches.

Yeah, he probably could have at least doubled his money by ending the auction Sunday night rather than Wed afternoon.

Kinda funny, though, that people searching for Thrilling didn't spot it any way. You can receive daily e-mails from eBay with your key term searches.

doesn't always work.

I missed a Planet Comics 5 recently ( sold on June 1st ) and Ebay didn't notify me of the listing at all.

(shrug)

doesn't always work.

I missed a Planet Comics 5 recently ( sold on June 1st ) and Ebay didn't notify me of the listing at all.

(shrug)

I have to admit that I've reverted to doing most of my searching manually. I was getting too many false positives. I would guess a search for "Thrilling" would probably suffer from that problem in spades.

I do still have some alerts set up and don't recall missing any books. Of course, maybe I have and don't know! :D

doesn't always work.

(shrug)

I have to admit that I've reverted to doing most of my searching manually. I was getting too many false positives. I would guess a search for "Thrilling" would probably suffer from that problem in spades.

I do still have some alerts set up and don't recall missing any books. Of course, maybe I have and don't know! :D

One way to narrow your searches down is to only search in specific catagories, which is easy to do when all the categories are on the left side of the eBay page.

Just click on Comics and then again on Golden Age and that should weed out 99% of the muck.

doesn't always work.

(shrug)

One way to narrow your searches down is to only search in specific catagories, which is easy to do when all the categories are on the left side of the eBay page.

Just click on Comics and then again on Golden Age and that should weed out 99% of the muck.

You know, I can't quite remember how I set up the alerts. But I wouldn't put it past myself to have mucked it up! :D

Have you ever had your eye on a GA auction and, for whatever reason, missed the opportunity to bid....only to find out the book you were eying went for a steal?

This happened to me yesterday. A beautiful copy of Thrilling Comics 64, 9.2 (at least a 1k book) went for $430. I feel bad for the seller but the buyer (who wasn't me :cry:) made out. http://www.ebay.com/itm/151345194452?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

The auction strangely ended at 3:30pm EST yesterday, which was the reason I missed the auction (that work thing) and likely the reason the book went so cheaply. IMHO one of the best steals of the year.

I was watching that one but passed because of the date stamp. Date stamps aren't deal breakers for me, but they do lessen a book's appeal quite a bit.

I was watching that one but passed because of the date stamp. Date stamps aren't deal breakers for me, but they do lessen a book's appeal quite a bit.

I prefer books with date stamps.

And for pedigree books, if they are known to have a code, I'm only interested in the coded ones.

Takes all kinds I guess

Seeing Jimbo's Seven Seas talk about missed opportunties brings me to remember the day i held that book along with agreat copy of Great 3.Well as the story goes i passed on both having just bought my Dynamic comics 8.I Still have dreams about both those babies and from what i remember both high grade books.During that time you could still get a bargin on books like that,i still long for those days before the auction house prices. :)

Seeing Jimbo's Seven Seas talk about missed opportunties brings me to remember the day i held that book along with agreat copy of Great 3.Well as the story goes i passed on both having just bought my Dynamic comics 8.I Still have dreams about both those babies and from what i remember both high grade books.During that time you could still get a bargin on books like that,i still long for those days before the auction house prices. :)
I paid quite a bit for that book at the time...no idea what it's worth now, really.