• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dark Circle

10 posts in this topic

Archie announced today that it will be launching a mature superhero line in 2015 under the imprint Dark Circle "in the vein of hit AFTERLIFE WITH ARCHIE series."

1405016928000-DCClean.jpeg

Long time Archie fans know that for the past several decades, their superhero books have been printed under the Red Circle imprint. The whole line has been relaunched several times over the decades, most prominently in the early 80's under Rich Buckler.

It seems that the rebranding as Dark Circle is in part to signal both a more mature tone, but also to show that this is a clean break from the continuity of Red Circle. According to the press release, it seems that the line will likely feature the company stable of iconic superheroes - such as The Shield and The Fly - but these new versions will be unconnected to any previous versions, so readers will not need to know any previous continuity.

According to the information they've released, they are aiming for an Image or Vertigo feel, with high profile creators coming in to tell self-contained stories they may not be able to tell at other publishers.

Here's the press release:

Archie rebrands superhero imprint, plans slate of ‘cinematic’ and ‘literary’ titles

in the vein of hit AFTERLIFE WITH ARCHIE series

Today, Archie Comics announced plans to relaunch its superhero imprint with a new name: Dark Circle Comics. The name change signals a new direction for the superhero titles, which will feature a more cinematic, literary and mature approach to the characters told in accessible stories that will appeal to new and longtime fans.

Previously known as Red Circle Comics, the new imprint will announce a slate of titles in advance of Comic Con International: San Diego later this month. The imprint news broke in USA TODAY via an interview with Dark Circle Comics Editor Alex Segura. The story also debuted the imprint’s new logo.

“When we brought Alex onboard to oversee our superhero imprint, we knew we needed to be bold and decisive with how these books were presented, in every way. They couldn’t just be more of the same,” said Archie Comics Publisher/Co-CEO Jon Goldwater. “This is a fresh start and a new direction for these iconic characters. It all boils down to story – tales that feature compelling characters by some of the best talent in comics. Alex – with the help of myself, our President Mike Pellerito, CCO Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa and Editor Paul Kaminski – has carefully curated a line of comics that will hopefully be seen as the definitive interpretations of these characters for a long time. We couldn’t be more excited.”

“These will be creator-driven books telling new, genre bending stories with some of the best characters in comics,” said Segura. “They’ll be more akin to cable television shows like Boardwalk Empire, True Detective and Orange is the New Black. Unique voices telling stories about flawed characters from a range of genres, including crime, superhero adventure and off-the-wall action. These are definitely not all-ages comics – they’ll compete with the best Image, DC and Marvel have to offer. They won’t be bogged down by continuity while still carrying on the legacy of these heroes. Fans are in for a treat.”

Stay tuned for more exciting news from Dark Circle Comics in the coming days.

And here's the initial announcement in USA Today mentioned in the press release:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2014/07/10/archie-comics-dark-circle-superhero-exclusive/12483965/

Archie has announced their inaugural line of Dark Circle releases.

The first three titles from Dark Circle will be The Fox, The Shield and The Black Hood.

The Black Hood, by writer Duane Swierczynski and artist Michael Gaydos, is a "dark, gritty noir" about a Philly cop who becomes a masked vigilante:

5-43e31263df.jpg

The Shield will be co-written by novelists Adam Christopher and Chuck Wendig and drawn by Wilfredo Torres. The new Shield is a woman who becomes the latest "version of a hero that has been reincarnated through American history, beginning with the Revolutionary War:"

7-24b1de01ea.jpg

The Fox, by Dean Haspiel and Mark Waid, will apparently pick up after their Fox mini-series. I don't know how the new Dark Circle revamp will fit in with some of the Red Circle continuity that was present in the Fox mini-series:

9-7438396158.jpg

Given their description of Dark Circle, this is a surprisingly balanced mix of titles. One grim (Black Hood), one light-hearted (The Fox) and one seemingly in-between (The Shield). I'm surprised at the lack of a Hangman title, as I was sure some creator would want to do a Hangman series given the cool name and visuals associated with him. But maybe down the road if these pan out.

The articles says these new titles will be launching in "early 2015."

Archie solicited their Dark Circle books for April.

The coolest thing in my opinion is that each book in April will have a grindhouse movie poster variant by Chilling Adventures of Sabrina artist Robert Hack.

Definitely getting all three of these:

hack3.jpg

hack1.jpg

hack2.jpg

Larry, what was your store's experience with the first series of The Fox that they put out last year or whenever?

I did Monstrous numbers. Huge. Not to toot my own horn, but I was probably social medias most vocal proponent of the series. I loved it. you cannot sell that which you don't adore.

THEN.

I personally advised Dean Haspiel against renumbering the series...

Archie renumbered cutting momentums throat.

Here we are.

I hope for the best