• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

how many graded comic collectors also collect graded toys on here

61 posts in this topic

Just stay away from graded GI Joes.

Just noticed this the other night. The o-rings in the vintage Joes are held together by a high strength rubber band stretched pretty tightly inside the figure. The band or the metal hook have been known to break after many years regardless of how you store them due to stress put on the figure over time.

Here is another listing where the band snapped AFTER AFA graded the figure.

There have been quite a few conversations on Hisstank and other Joe sites regarding this and buying MOC Joes is basically like the Russian Roulette of toy collecting.

AFA_80_Scarlett.jpg

I agree, and it`s a shame because GI JOE should be up there with Transformers, but those o-rings like you mentioned are just way too risky for investment purposes.

Oh absolutely. I remember when I went shopping around for an AFA graded MOC Snake Eyes or an original VAMP w/ Clutch or Recondo. The Joe forum I was on PM'd me and educated me much to the dismay and rage of a few AFA Joe dealers. They opened my eyes to the world of hurt that can be in buying MOC Joes. With original Joes it is better to buy them loose if you want to collect them. Even then though they utilize an ABS plastic that has been known to show stress lines that may lead to cracks in the joints. This has been seen especially near the shoulders and elbows where there are metal stamp pins.

Well, the case is proportioned right for an afa case. The afa hologram is missing. And the serial number apparently isn't a valid afa serial number.

Ok. Those are pretty big misses at least

I had no idea this service even existed!! So, for those of you that have experience, I have a couple of questions. I have an extensive "collection" (really it's more like stuff I had as a kid that was rarely played with) of Star Wars action figures, vehicles and other items. They range from a little bit of stuff from Episode IV "A New Hope", to some items from Episode V "Empire Strikes Back" to quite a bit of stuff from Episode VI "The Return of the Jedi". I don't think any of them are still in the package and the boxes are likely long gone. I suppose many of the accessories are MIA as well. I haven't looked at the stuff for years, but I know I have the Ewok Villiage, a Y-Wing fighter, Jabba the Hut and his "throne" that opened up to the Rancor Pit for big stuff. I have quite a few ROJ action figures as well. From ESB I have a Ton-Ton and some Hoth action figures. And a few random things and a couple of figures from ANH. I also have a few action figures from ESB or ROJ that could only be had by sending off for them in the mail...I think the Emperor might have been one of those figures, but I'm not sure. I know I have some other random stuff as well.

I looked at their page, but because I'm not really a toy guy, I wasn't sure about some of the lingo and what they would be willing to grade.

So...

1. Can I send any of that in or does the fact that I don't have boxes or cards and Chewbacca's gun or Luke's Light Saber make them worthless...or at least not worth sending them in?

2. If I can, would it be worth sending any of that stuff in...particularly the action figures with missing accessories?

3. Is any of that stuff worth anything...at least from the perspective of those of you in the business of buying, selling or collecting?

Just stay away from graded GI Joes.

Just noticed this the other night. The o-rings in the vintage Joes are held together by a high strength rubber band stretched pretty tightly inside the figure. The band or the metal hook have been known to break after many years regardless of how you store them due to stress put on the figure over time.

Here is another listing where the band snapped AFTER AFA graded the figure.

There have been quite a few conversations on Hisstank and other Joe sites regarding this and buying MOC Joes is basically like the Russian Roulette of toy collecting.

AFA_80_Scarlett.jpg

WOW that really sucks. Was not aware of this problem.

Just wandering. Been into afa graded toys for a while but recently getting more serious

I would highly recommend taking a look into graded Star Wars 12 backs, and Transformers Generation 1 figures. These are the blue chips grails of action figures.

Think of Batman, Spider-Man and Superman.

Right now Star Wars 12 backs, and Transformers Generation 1 figures still can be bought at a decent entry level price, but who knows in 5 years?

Megatron and the giftset combiners still sealed are easily in the mid thousands already

I have a fairly huge G1 Transformers collection. However, I put most of it together before AFA came around. I looked into getting some of the rarer items graded but it just to much money in my opinion, plus I don't necessarily agree with AFA's grading.

Also, I think action figure grading is less consistent in general than comics. Not to say that either are 100% fleshed out, but at least in comics we have the Overstreet grading scale that is widely considered standard, as well as CGC's grading (which many try to follow, though it's not published or written anywhere).

I still buy AFA figures if it makes sense financially. Lastly, in the case of most classic action figures, especially any figures that don't come in bubbles, there is a lot of fraud that the manufacturer themselves helped create with the consistent release of reissues, many of which use the exact same molds. Yes, there are tons of ways to know the difference, but you have to be really educated in each toy line to know them in a lot of cases.

Just wandering. Been into afa graded toys for a while but recently getting more serious

I would highly recommend taking a look into graded Star Wars 12 backs, and Transformers Generation 1 figures. These are the blue chips grails of action figures.

Right now Star Wars 12 backs, and Transformers Generation 1 figures still can be bought at a decent entry level price, but who knows in 5 years?

Megatron and the giftset combiners still sealed are easily in the mid thousands already

Yeah but that's a little bit like saying comics are expensive because an action 1 sold for $2m

I collect toys for fun.One day I'm just going to get them down off the shelf,and let my grandkids rip em all open so they can play with them. :cloud9:

Then maybe I will be free of this OCD thing. :tonofbricks:

Wisdom.

Any thoughts on buying loose, AFA graded Star Wars figures from the classic era? Or loose AFA graded G.I. Joes?

Loose graded Joes are a waste in my opinion. Another discussion on yojoe.com last year revealed that someone supposedly paid $5000 for a figure MOC only for the O-Ring to break inside the figure while still mounted to the card.

If it can happen to a MOC figure that was never used then it can also happen to a figure that is loose, was used, and then graded by AFA.

Personally, I believe that the original Joes are all ticking time bombs. The only question is when that piece of rubber band or the metal hook that keeps it in place will snap.

Also, again, people report all the time that even mint on card figures have demonstrated stress fractures or hints of stress fractures along the shoulder and elbow pins of the figures. When these figures were created, the rivets were stamped into the plastic pieces to create the joint.

Loose graded Joes are a waste in my opinion. Another discussion on yojoe.com last year revealed that someone supposedly paid $5000 for a figure MOC only for the O-Ring to break inside the figure while still mounted to the card.

If it can happen to a MOC figure that was never used then it can also happen to a figure that is loose, was used, and then graded by AFA.

Personally, I believe that the original Joes are all ticking time bombs. The only question is when that piece of rubber band or the metal hook that keeps it in place will snap.

Also, again, people report all the time that even mint on card figures have demonstrated stress fractures or hints of stress fractures along the shoulder and elbow pins of the figures. When these figures were created, the rivets were stamped into the plastic pieces to create the joint.

Thanks, Buzz.

I kind of figured that might be the case. I see alot of Joe web vendors selling packages of replacement O-rings. Supposedly they're stronger than the originals.

Ever consider going to that annual G.I. Joe convention?

Yeah but that's a little bit like saying comics are expensive because an action 1 sold for $2m

Dont get me wrong I completely agree with your point that these toys are still a bargain. The collectibles market is all nostalgia driven. These toys are still in their infancy as far as when they came out compared to silver and golden age comics, but I would put the Nostalgia associated with Transformers, Joes, and Star Wars right up there with some of the top tier DC and Marvel characters comics that go for tens of thousands. (save Spidey, Superman, Batman, X-men)

Dont get me wrong I completely agree with your point that these toys are still a bargain. The collectibles market is all nostalgia driven. These toys are still in their infancy as far as when they came out compared to silver and golden age comics, but I would put the Nostalgia associated with Transformers, Joes, and Star Wars right up there with some of the top tier DC and Marvel characters comics that go for tens of thousands. (save Spidey, Superman, Batman, X-men)

No question, the transformers, etc, brands are very strong in the minds of certain generations