• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

how many graded comic collectors also collect graded toys on here

61 posts in this topic

I didn't even know there was toy grading. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, just never thought about the toy collecting market I guess.
It's something I try to forget because I sold my collection of case fresh MASK toys before I knew of AFA. :cry:

I collect toys for fun.One day I'm just going to get them down off the shelf,and let my grandkids rip em all open so they can play with them. :cloud9:

Then maybe I will be free of this OCD thing. :tonofbricks:

Just wandering. Been into afa graded toys for a while but recently getting more serious

I would highly recommend taking a look into graded Star Wars 12 backs, and Transformers Generation 1 figures. These are the blue chips grails of action figures.

Think of Batman, Spider-Man and Superman.

Right now Star Wars 12 backs, and Transformers Generation 1 figures still can be bought at a decent entry level price, but who knows in 5 years?

Just stay away from graded GI Joes.

Just noticed this the other night. The o-rings in the vintage Joes are held together by a high strength rubber band stretched pretty tightly inside the figure. The band or the metal hook have been known to break after many years regardless of how you store them due to stress put on the figure over time.

Here is another listing where the band snapped AFTER AFA graded the figure.

There have been quite a few conversations on Hisstank and other Joe sites regarding this and buying MOC Joes is basically like the Russian Roulette of toy collecting.

AFA_80_Scarlett.jpg

I would but prices on AFA toys... Whow. I noticed a bigger premium then in comics...

Ask yourself, growing up, how many comics did you have, and how many unopened toys did you have?

The answer to the first depends on how into comics you were, but the answer to the second is virtually always zero.

So its appropriate that unopened 70s/80s even some 90s toys go for more than comics from the same time period. They don't touch prices on 60s and prior comics though, unless you do an extremely lopsided comparison such as comparing a key mint unopened toy to a beat up non-key comic.

Just noticed this the other night. The o-rings in the vintage Joes are held together by a high strength rubber band stretched pretty tightly inside the figure. The band or the metal hook have been known to break after many years regardless of how you store them due to stress put on the figure over time.

There have been quite a few conversations on Hisstank and other Joe sites regarding this and buying MOC Joes is basically like the Russian Roulette of toy collecting.

AFA_80_Scarlett.jpg

Always wondered why my GI Joes would eventually go limp (out of context coming).

If anyone knows anyone who has an AFA graded prototype rocket firing Boba Fett in 85 please let me know!

Also looking for Cloud City play set in AFA 85 as well...

The vintage SW line is one of he best. Luckily I bought all my high grade AFA pieces right before the prices started to climb due to Disney buying the franchise.

Still, there are several pieces I need and I love those Revenge of the Jedi proof cards as well (AFA graded of course).

I actually saved several sealed cases of original TMNT toys from the original release, so I only need a few to complete my TMNT 10 back collection.

I also have a lot of AFA graded Transformers as well.

This is a great topic!

Just wandering. Been into afa graded toys for a while but recently getting more serious

Depending on your definition of toys, I collect (sealed/graded video games).

Mintcollector lets not get wrapped up in a games debate please! :)

3.....2.....1..... until the "they grade videogames" post or "they collect videogames" post or the "how can you play them sealed" post :insane: (even though the person posting collects toys they can't play with or comics that are "too nice" to read).

DSCN5346.JPG

I don't collect AFA graded figures, but I do have an AFA 80 21 Back Star Wars Boba Fett :). I also have an ungraded sealed set of the 12 backs, a ESB 31 Back Fett, and a ROTJ 77 Back Fett.

Quite frankly, I do not understand the grading system of AFA and most of the time, I do not agree on their grading. A lot of the times, their grading is too strict. What I don't understand is how they determine the overall grade of the figure. I have seen sub-grades of say 70, 80, 85 and the figure received an overall graded of 70, and then I see the same subgrades but the overall grade is a 75. Why?

AFA_80_Scarlett.jpg

I agree, and it`s a shame because GI JOE should be up there with Transformers, but those o-rings like you mentioned are just way too risky for investment purposes.