• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

All Star July Auction

3 posts in this topic

With SDCC around the corner and a new Heritage auction set to open in a few days, it's not shocking that Joe's All-Star auction event didn't make a big splash. But there were some good items to be had at decent prices, so I thought I'd list a few highlights:

DD #132 Splash: 2nd app of Bullseye. Sold for 6.5k. A respectable result for a Bob Brown page. It's pretty enough and historic enough to have gone a little higher, I thought.

A Pilgrim's Progress: A strip by Windsor McCay from 1905. Not a prime example but well worth the 3.7k it took to win it. IMHO the deal of the auction.

Hal Foster Tarzan strip: Again not a prime example, but a Sunday Tarzan strip from 1935 is a good deal at 7.8k. I think this was a good auction to be a strip collector!

FF #51 p12: At 17.25k, this page was no bargain. I've seen prettier Kirby FF pages sell for less, but serious collectors have shown a willingness to bid high for 2-up Kirby/Sinnott FF stuff.

Jimmy Olsen #121 Cover: 8.34k Was that cheap? I don't know.

At one point, i really wanted that DD splash, and was prepared to pay. Then I saw more and more good stuff in the HA and CLink auctions. I made a choice to save funds and make a run at a few big pieces…at least big by my standards.