• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Strain TV Show Discussion Thread

689 posts in this topic

The scenes for the upcoming episodes were really good, and yes I too noticed they mentioned "The Fall". From all I've heard / read that's going to be the basis for Season 2 and those issues haven't moved an inch yet. Think everyone's doing a wait and see before raiding the LCS's for them?

If you believe in the show at all and can pick up copies of The Fall for cover or less you should buy every copy you can, at least of the first issue. 7500 print run? That's a no brainer.

What is weird to me about this market....

The Strain is getting good prices, yet Game of Thrones is hugely popular show, backed by a NY Times bestselling series of books.

One would probably say even better circumstances.

Yet the GoT comics have never gained traction.

I wonder why?

Plus the prequel, The Hedge Knight, was a good comic, and I guarantee massively under ordered at the time of its release years ago.

Plus you have the series that adapts the books as well.

Weird, I tell ya.

Completely with you on this one as far as comic speculation goes... but then the fans of the GoT TV series are probably going to be more interested in the 1st edition books or more likely gunning for stuff from the show itself e.g. autos, replicas, props, storyboards, trading cards.

Game of thrones comics also came out some time after the books whereas the Strain Comic came out on the coattails of the book. Plus isn't the Strain comic book a different story line than the book? Or a different perspective?

The scenes for the upcoming episodes were really good, and yes I too noticed they mentioned "The Fall". From all I've heard / read that's going to be the basis for Season 2 and those issues haven't moved an inch yet. Think everyone's doing a wait and see before raiding the LCS's for them?

If you believe in the show at all and can pick up copies of The Fall for cover or less you should buy every copy you can, at least of the first issue. 7500 print run? That's a no brainer.

There was a SDCC exclusive cover for issue 1, too.

The Strain is getting good prices, yet Game of Thrones is hugely popular show, backed by a NY Times bestselling series of books.

I wonder why?

Plus the prequel, The Hedge Knight, was a good comic, and I guarantee massively under ordered at the time of its release years ago.

Weird, I tell ya.

Completely with you on this one as far as comic speculation goes... but then the fans of the GoT TV series are probably going to be more interested in the 1st edition books or more likely gunning for stuff from the show itself e.g. autos, replicas, props, storyboards, trading cards.

Game of thrones comics also came out some time after the books whereas the Strain Comic came out on the coattails of the book. Plus isn't the Strain comic book a different story line than the book? Or a different perspective?

This, if true, would make more sense, I suppose.

Great Sunday evening show. A mixture of Salem's Lot-old coffin but set in the city rather in an old dying town, Give me what I want and I will go away-Silver cane, Van Helsing, Promethus-Alien Movie (worms), and etc. Some great tongue and cheek moments..l.nicely done.

I wonder why?

Weird, I tell ya.

The real comic connection in the GoT show is William Simpson true believers. Concept artist and the only storyboarder for HBO who previously worked on Hellblazer, Judge Dredd, Batman. Some of his updates on facebook outside any of the above are simply gorgeous. Ticks the right boxes for me.

30157_126119410745071_7152758_n.jpg

The strain is probably going to do ok in TV land seeing as it is on FX filling the hole left by TWD being inbetween series. I don't really go in for comic book adaptation of books, films, TV shows so can happily gloss over the finer chicken and egg details of The Strain or Game of Thrones but certainly don't object to flipping them like a pancacke on shrove Tuesday.

However... there is a shared origin between the two, both having their roots in books and getting a TV show. Given that GoT is the biggest show out there right now and the books are some of the biggest sales as well then should we be paying attention to it when it comes to speculation?

The box set of the GoT books is currently #27 in all books on Amazon and has been high up for a long time. No mean feat but it fades into insignificance compared to the tens of millions of the individual books sold in the USA alone. The DVD box sets are record breaking in multiple countries. The merch is everywhere. The HBO online downloads were up 112% last year (no idea if the figures are out yet for this year). It is the most pirated show in history. It's wormed its way solidly into pop culture now which is usually what generates heat beyond this kind of forum. If it isn't the barometer by which all things coming from a book with a TV show having a comic adaptation should be measured by then I don't know what is... ?

I agree that comics should have more of an appeal if they run parallel to the other media rather than repeating it, and this is where some of them fall down. You don't exactly get more for your money with GoT as the comics are pretty true to the books. The Strain is adapted but it's essentially still the same story.

Well first I read the books. At the time only the first two were finished. I had not read the books before, but I was certainly aware of GDT’s work and knew it would be a good fit for me. After I read the books I bought the audio versions and listened again while I worked. Then I broke down the books scene by scene and made a kind of index to help me navigate the books and also become very familiar with the sequence of events. After that I had to think how I wanted to approach the book, what I could fit, what would work in a comic, etc.

The Strain was the hardest in this, because it has so many vignettes and characters and events that happen before boiling down to the central cast. Also, I knew I couldn’t wait till the third or fourth issue before bringing in some vampires and horror. So in that there were events cut and characters trimmed. I shuffled the events to bring certain parts to the beginning, like the Ansel Barbour storyline. I wanted to get him changing ASAP to get the horror going. I also knew that a lot of the CSI stuff wouldn’t work so well in a comic. In print where you can put a lot of explanation it it works and in TV or film cutting open bodies will work really well, but in a comic it would take too many panels without getting across the horror. So those elements I trimmed back.

Anyway, once I have an idea of how I would approach the story I write up an outline and then talked it over with the editors and with Guillermo and away I went. I was very lucky in that Guillermo was very open to the comic being the comic version of his story and not the comic book Cliff Notes of his story.

Let's see if they get the horror element right on the TV show. I think it will come down to the line they tread between the vampires being actually scary or simply OTT violent / gory.

True Blood

So glad that steaming POS is ending.

Season 1 was promising, Season 2 was so-so. The quality declined rapidly and it's laughable now. (True Blood).

True Blood is so amazingly bad that they can kill a character who's been around for seven seasons and you don't even care one bit.

True Blood

So glad that steaming POS is ending.

Season 1 was promising, Season 2 was so-so. The quality declined rapidly and it's laughable now. (True Blood).

True Blood is so amazingly bad that they can kill a character who's been around for seven seasons and you don't even care one bit.

I used to love True Blood but it's been increasingly going downhill. Last season's finale especially, they have this huge all out war, the war ends, then flash ahead it's 6 months later. *cough* sound familiar?