• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is drek?

69 posts in this topic

Drek is what a comic book is the day before the upcoming movie is announced featuring the lead characters of said comic book.

Rocket Raccoon says hello.

864037.jpg

Edited by Dr Chaos

Drek = (or dreck) krap, worthless books, can't give 'em away, stuff that no one wants unless it's cheap or possibly free. Most of the 90's books are referred to as drek. Key issues from the 90's are lovingly referred to as drek, too - so it kinda works both ways.

--------

Until they become un-drek like GOTG #1, Darkhawk #1 or (at some point) New Warriors #1 and plenty of other books that ultimately pop despite being printed in relatively (compared to today) large numbers. Of course, the examples cited above were once $5-$25+ books in early 90's bizarro world, so it can be looked at as something coming full circle as well.

(No, New Mutants 98 was never drek like we're talking about here. I don't care if someone here fished one out of a 25 cent box. I never was able to.)

I just shipped out copies of Hellblazer 2 - 5. Not quite what we consider drek as I don't think there are warehouses of these out there, but I actually got them out of a 5/$1 box when a store put their 2 for $1 books on sale. They had $15-$16 price tags on them from 20 years ago or whatever from some prior store. They ain't $15 books now even if interest has picked up on them, but the circle is coming around (I guess if they were still minty they might be though).

I'm looking at a stack of sharp GOTGs from he early 90s and wondering if I can do something with them now.

Drek is what a comic book is the day before the upcoming movie is announced featuring the lead characters of said comic book.

864037.jpg

I will say this though, this issue is curiously absent from my collection and I may have a long box of 70s and 80s hulks, so I have to wonder if people in the know have been plucking them for years waiting for the racoon to explode. I find this hard to imagine as a lot of those Hulks I have were bought in the 80s and early/mid 90s out of 25 cent boxes when rocket was truly a fringe character, but it is what it is. It could be I just skipped it because of the stupid looking cover, but that has never stopped me before.

Drek = (or dreck) krap, worthless books, can't give 'em away, stuff that no one wants unless it's cheap or possibly free. Most of the 90's books are referred to as drek. Key issues from the 90's are lovingly referred to as drek, too - so it kinda works both ways.

+1 I tend to call all books that are virtually impossible to sell - drek. Drek can be older books also. low grade bronze archies or low grade late silver duck books - old but drek.

i put those beat up and old books out at my garage sales and they are GONE at $1 a pop. honestly, i think some people would buy them at $2, but i don't want to complicate things and $1 is easier for people to grasp. wish i could do the same with virtually anything from the early 90s, the only stuff like that which might sell as spideys and x-men. i couldn't even sell preachers to hipsters for $1 each and they knew what preacher was.

Two friends had garage sales in the last month or so. I set each of them up with two boxes of drek and told them to sell them for a buck each. One sold about sixty books and we split the profits. The other sold almost a hundred and then some guy offered to buy all the rest for fifty cents a pop. My friend called me but I didn't pick up so he didn't complete the deal. Mostly copper age stuff, with a sprinkling of more modern stuff.

folks at my garage sales seem to get less interested once the cover price is in the 60 cent range unless they're buying them to read not because they think they've found a sucker willing to sell them valuable vintage comics.

Edited by the blob

Teen titans used to be huge drek when I was a kid , all DC titles were drek or known as BRAND ECH from about the mid 60's on for a long long time....

they have recovered from the label drek but todays modern issues will never recover from drek too many printed and almost all saved in quantity

864037.jpg

I will say this though, this issue is curiously absent from my collection and I may have a long box of 70s and 80s hulks, so I have to wonder if people in the know have been plucking them for years waiting for the racoon to explode. I find this hard to imagine as a lot of those Hulks I have were bought in the 80s and early/mid 90s out of 25 cent boxes when rocket was truly a fringe character, but it is what it is. It could be I just skipped it because of the stupid looking cover, but that has never stopped me before.

People were buying them because it was a first comic appearance. People have always bought first appearances for speculation purposes.

As a very long time Hulk collector I can tell you I *HATED* that book.

864037.jpg

People were buying them because it was a first comic appearance. People have always bought first appearances for speculation purposes.

As a very long time Hulk collector I can tell you I *HATED* that book.

How's about scoff?

The Hulk's face looks scrunched and that looks like a fox, not a raccoon.