• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Universal monsters of old come together again - WATCH OUT!
1 1

280 posts in this topic

Good.

I liked Dracula Untold,but it`s definitely not the Dracula I remember.

More like Conan the Vampire.

To me, it felt more like an Anne Rice story. Especially in the end with the 'And so it begins' scene.

Anybody watch Bram Stoker's Dracula recently. WOWsers, that still a great looking movie with no CG effects.

You better believe it!

I was finally able to get someone to go watch it for the first time recently. They were blown away how solid a story this tells.

Universal's THE MUMMY Reboot Could Star A Female Version Of The Monster

The Hollywood Reporter has learned that director Alex Kurtzman and writer Jon Spaihtz are considering the possibility of having a female version of the Mummy star in the upcoming reboot. The gender of the monster could be determined by the actor that they decide to cast, as two different story options are being considered. One of which involves a male mummy and the other involves a female mummy with a unique backstory. Although the franchise sometimes features a different mummy in each film, each of the mummies are typically portrayed as a male character. To date, the Mummy has been played by such actors as Boris Karloff, Lon Chaney, Jr., Christopher Lee, Arnold Vosloo, and Jet Li.

0c01bd0c5767c9c086f9ac6cb2162453.jpg

Four pages and no mention of Monster Squad? This is great news!

First thing I thought of as well!!! My little sister and I used to watch this over and over and over again, in fact about 10 years or so ago she got me this for Christmas!! Great flick :cloud9:

21172568644_4a28fe85a8_c.jpg

The best :cloud9:

Universal Wants Angelina Jolie To Star In Bride Of Frankenstein & Return For Wanted 2

The Hollywood Reporter published an article in which they claim Universal Pictures bankrolled By The Sea — the box office disaster that was written, directed and starred Angelina Jolie, along with her husband Brad Pitt — in hopes of coaxing Jolie to star in Bride of Frankenstein and the sequel to 2008's Wanted.

"But even if Universal loses tens of millions of dollars on By the Sea, the studio is gambling that by backing Jolie Pitt's artistic whim, she will be amenable to starring in its tentpole Bride of Frankenstein," THR reports, "which is part of the Monster's universe from producers Alex Kurtzman and Chris Morgan, or a long-hoped-for sequel to Wanted."

joliewanted2brideoffrankenstein-160451.png

This is as good a place as any to ask the question.

Everyone knows Frankenstein was based somewhat on the classic novel by Shelley.

Most people these days know Dracula was based on the novel by Bram Stoker, although from what I understand, the book was pretty obscure at the time.

Anyone know what the original inspirations for The Wolf-man and the Mummy

were? Lots of examples of werewolves-men who turned into wolves during a full moon, but I cant find a Wolfman story.

Most people these days know Dracula was based on the novel by Bram Stoker, although from what I understand, the book was pretty obscure at the time.

were? Lots of examples of werewolves-men who turned into wolves during a full moon, but I cant find a Wolfman story.

I think the inspiration for The Mummy was the opening of King Tut's tomb, the whole "curse of the pharaoh" thing.

I don't know about The Wolf Man. Probably, like you said, derived from folklore and not an actual, printed story.

I think the inspiration for The Mummy was the opening of King Tut's tomb, the whole "curse of the pharaoh" thing.

I don't know about The Wolf Man. Probably, like you said, derived from folklore and not an actual, printed story.

Yes, the opening of King Tut's tomb was the main inspiration for THE MUMMY.

As far as THE WOLF MAN, there is no real origin for it. Werewolf inspired stories go back to the 12 century in Germany. Curt Siodmak, who did the screenplay for the 1941 THE WOLF MAN, was German and may well have been familiar with the Germanic werewolf tales. Also in the late 19th/early 20th centuries, a lot of werewolf stories were being popularized.

Universal had two previous werewolf films: THE WEREWOLF from 1913 that was presumed lost in a studio fire in the mid 1920s, and the 1935 WEREWOLF OF LONDON which was the first Universal werewolf talkie. A very different feel and story though.

Siodmak made the definitive The Wolf Man and it was his writing that gave us the full moon, death by silver, the pentagram and that "Even a man who is pure in heart" poem.

I still have all of my Aurora monster kits (as well as my Prehistoric Scenes). For our yard last Halloween my son and I painted a plywood Frankenstein based on James Barr’s box art. I hope to make at least another one this year.

FrankensteinMiguelSign.jpg

FrankensteinYardMiguelSilly.jpg

James BAMA was the artist that painted many of the original Aurora monster box tops...

Universal keeps trying to lure Angelina Jolie Pitt for Bride of Frankenstein

Universal is really swinging for the fences to bring some star power into their Classic Monster-Verse and get it off the ground in a big way. First they landed Tom Cruise for THE MUMMY, and now it looks like they're really pressing hard on Angelina Jolie Pitt to help steer BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN.

Jolie's name has been floating out there as the primary target for Universal for awhile now, but the studio has gone and hired David Koepp (JURASSIC PARK, SPIDER-MAN, MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE) to pen the -script in the hopes of striking the right chord for Angelina to sign on. According to Variety, Universal very much wants to give Jolie whatever she wants in order to both star and direct in the reboot, but she is waiting to see if the scrit measures up before she commits.

p4cG7SM.jpg

Universal's The Mummy Reboot Gets Tom Cruise and New Release Date

The Mummy will be a part of Universal's new plan for a shared monster movie universe, and it now officially has Tom Cruise as part of the production. The release date was bumped slightly more than two months, to June 9, 2017 from its previous date of March 24. Alex Kurtzman is directing the film, with Sofia Boutella as the titular monster.

The greater universe is also being developed by Kurtzman and Chris Morgan, with plans to reintroduce several of their classic monsters, eventually bringing them together, Avengers-style - whether that's to fight some greater evil, or to go be... scary... is yet to be revealed.

That does seem to be a big feather in their cap to kick off this franchise.

Universal's The Mummy Reboot Gets Tom Cruise and New Release Date

The Mummy will be a part of Universal's new plan for a shared monster movie universe, and it now officially has Tom Cruise as part of the production. The release date was bumped slightly more than two months, to June 9, 2017 from its previous date of March 24. Alex Kurtzman is directing the film, with Sofia Boutella as the titular monster.

The greater universe is also being developed by Kurtzman and Chris Morgan, with plans to reintroduce several of their classic monsters, eventually bringing them together, Avengers-style - whether that's to fight some greater evil, or to go be... scary... is yet to be revealed.

That does seem to be a big feather in their cap to kick off this franchise.

Two things from this.

This comfirms the new mummy is a woman and the rumors might be true now that Tom Cruise maybe is the new VAN HELSING?

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Two things from this.

This comfirms the new mummy is a woman and the rumors might be true now that Tom Cruise maybe is the new VAN HELSING?

hm

Jon Spaihts and Eric Heisserer have been hired to draft Universal Pictures’ upcoming Van Helsing reboot

Although director Stephen Sommers’ 2004 take on Van Helsing (starring Hugh Jackman and Kate Beckinsale) failed to win over audiences, Universal Pictures has, for some years, been keen on reexamining the story of Bram Stoker’s fictional monster hunter. Variety today reports the studio has hired Jon Spaihts (Prometheus, Passengers) and Eric Heisserer (Final Destination 5, The Thing) to -script their planned Van Helsing reboot. According to the trade, the plan is for the new film to tie to the planned Universal Monsters Cinematic Universe that will officially launch in 2017 with The Mummy.

Tom Cruise ages so slowly, I give up predicting when he will start to play the former Hollywood superstar that now does supporting roles. He's incredible!

Wow!

Universal has chosen Johnny Depp to be their Invisible Man

As a massive fan of the Universal Monster films, I've been somewhat leery about Universal's plan to resurrect each of their famous monsters in a shared universe similar to Marvel's Cinematic Universe, but there's no denying that they're putting some serious star-power in front of these films. It wasn't that long ago when it was announced that Tom Cruise would be headlining THE MUMMY and now Deadline reports that Universal has chosen Johnny Depp to star in THE INVISIBLE MAN. If Universal continues loading up their monster films with Hollywood's top (and expensive) talent, we're going to be in for quite the star-studded affair in the inevitable monster version of THE AVENGERS.