• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Universal monsters of old come together again - WATCH OUT!
1 1

280 posts in this topic

I got over my hate for Tom Cruise with Magnolia. I'm ok with him now.

- Jack Reacher (2012): Outstanding film!

- Oblivion (2013): Outstanding film!

- Edge of Tomorrow (2014): Outstanding film!

I think his recent films have been quite enjoyable.

Minority Repot and Vanilla Sky were not bad either.

War of the Worlds (thumbs u
Did he have one of his trademark Days of Thunder/ A Few Good Men/Rain Man/Jerry MaGuire meltdowns in that?

I think he was pretty calm and collected during all the UFO destruction and acted like a devastated dad trying to save his kids at the end of the world.

Tim Robbins on the other hand. :facepalm:

Oh, I totally agree. I especially love the Minority Report movie.

Philip Dick!

:cloud9:

His part in Tropic Thunder was one of the funniest make-up roles in Hollywood since the days of Sellers. :roflmao:

Universal’s ‘The Wolf Man’ Recruits ‘The Expendables’ Screenwriter

Universal is going monstrous with their first big shared universe franchise (unless you count Fast & Furious, which is fair enough), and they’re already getting the ball rolling on the next installment. Per THR, the studio has recruited The Expendables scribe Dave Callaham to rewrite the -script for The Wolf Man, the next classic beastie on the docket.

The first draft of the -script was written by Aaron Guzikowski (Prisoners), who was part of the writer’s room team headed up by Alex Kurtzman (Transformers) and Chris Morgan (Fast & Furious franchise) that the studio assembled to brainstorm and map out the monsters universe.

It’s not totally clear if Universal will eventually circle back to Luke Evans‘ Dracula, who was introduced in 2014’s Dracula Untold (though he seems to be feeling good about his chances), but they’re poised to properly launch their interconnected universe with next year’s action-packed spin on The Mummy. Directed by Kurtzman, The Mummy stars Tom Cruise, Jake Johnson, Annabelle Wallis, and Courtney B. Vance opposite Sofia Boutella as the titular monster. It will also introduce Russell Crowe as Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and is scheduled to arrive in theaters on June 9, 2017.

I'm excited for this - esp. the pairing of Tom Cruise and Russell Crowe.

As others have said, Cruise has had an amazing run recently with:

Edge of Tomorrow

Jack Reacher

even Mission Impossible: 5.

And Minority Report's one of my favorite films since 2000. It's a sci-fi classic and becoming more important as some of the tech displayed in it is coming closer to reality.

Van Helsing Reboot To Take Place In Universal Monsters Universe

Universal tried to launch it previously with Dracula Untold, but the film didn't hit the way Universal wanted, so they went back to the drawing board and enlisted heavy hitters like Tom Cruise, Johnny Depp, and Russell Crowe for future projects.

They've also decided to rework their most famous monster hunter, Van Helsing, a franchise that previously saw Hugh Jackman in the lead role. This new version is being written by Eric Heisserer (Arrival), and will interlock with the upcoming Cruise starring Mummy reboot. Heisserer recently spoke to CinemaBlend about the status of the Van Helsing, and how it links to the other films.

"It is right now. This is early in the process, and it's evolutionary. I don't know if that's going to stay that way. But right now there is an absolute... there's some cartilage that links it to other pieces, like The Mummy."

Alex Ross Paints Universal Monsters

Universal is making its various monster and horror properties a priority going forward, and as part of that new focus the studio has enlisted the talents of fan favorite artist Alex Ross.

he's setting his sights on Universal's stable of monsters, including icons like Dracula, The Mummy, and Frankenstein. The artist revealed a sneak peek at his upcoming Classic Universal Monsters set of art pieces, which will fully be unveiled at next year's San Diego Comic-Con (via Bloody Disgusting).

He will have one giant piece that includes all the monsters together, titled fittingly "Monster Mash", but he also painted each one in individual pieces, which will come in both black and white and color versions.

alex-ross-invisible-man-208076.jpg

alex-ross-monster-mash-208077.jpg

alex-ross-mummy-208078.jpg

alex-ross-wolfman-208079.jpg

:whee:

Doctor Strange Screenwriter Believes The Mummy Reboot Will Terrify Audiences

themummy-reboot-209678.png

Screenwriter Jon Spaihts, who co-wrote Marvel's latest blockbuster, will be even more in-demand after Doctor Strange exceeded expectations. Aside from that project, Spaihts also penned The Mummy, the Alex Kurtzman-directed reboot and first film in Universal's Monstersverse.

While the 1932 original, starring Boris Karloff, relied an eerie mood and atmosphere and the 1999 reboot, starring Brendan Fraser, brought fun and adventure to the franchise, the 2017 reboot, according to will Spaihts, "legitimately explore the frightening and the cosmic."

"In The Mummy, I think we're going to see the first Mummy film in the entire Universal canon with the true power to terrify," Spaihts told The Hollywood Reporter. "The earliest [boris] Karloff and Bela Lugosi Mummy movies were scary in a small way, perhaps a dated way. They were almost parlor movies. Subsequent movies have been more swashbuckling. This one is going to have all of that action and adventure, but a legitimate power to terrify. I think that's going to be the new experience of that film."

Screenwriter Jon Spaihts, who co-wrote Marvel's latest blockbuster, will be even more in-demand after Doctor Strange exceeded expectations. Aside from that project, Spaihts also penned The Mummy, the Alex Kurtzman-directed reboot and first film in Universal's Monstersverse.

While the 1932 original, starring Boris Karloff, relied an eerie mood and atmosphere and the 1999 reboot, starring Brendan Fraser, brought fun and adventure to the franchise, the 2017 reboot, according to will Spaihts, "legitimately explore the frightening and the cosmic."

"In The Mummy, I think we're going to see the first Mummy film in the entire Universal canon with the true power to terrify," Spaihts told The Hollywood Reporter. "The earliest [boris] Karloff and Bela Lugosi Mummy movies were scary in a small way, perhaps a dated way. They were almost parlor movies. Subsequent movies have been more swashbuckling. This one is going to have all of that action and adventure, but a legitimate power to terrify. I think that's going to be the new experience of that film."

I wonder what they mean by terrify audiences?

hm

I wonder what they mean by terrify audiences?

hm

Hire Michael Bay.